Thread: more under hood lighting puzzles

more under hood lighting puzzles

I added LED strip lighting under the hood...nice and bright.

For install; I got a hold of the power and ground lines to the OEM under hood lamp, cut those and then soldered on the power and ground lines for the LED strip. I added a toggle switch on the ground line so that I could turn on and off as desired.

All worked fine for a while, but now, for some unknown reason and I am no longer getting 12V on the LED power line after opening the car door, or at anytime.
    I checked the ground, it's good, including the switch.
    I checked all fuses in the 2 fuse boxes - they are all good.
    I jumper'd my car battery to the LED strip hot line and it lit up (proving again the ground is good), so the LED's are good.
    I've searched through my "alldatadyi" account looking for the circuit in question (hood lamp) - but cannot locate the circuit in the data.
    The interior lights do light up as they should when the car door is opened.
    So, I am puzzled.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

I'm pretty sure the underhood light activates by a weighted switch (or mercury). When you open the hood, the weight (or mercury) slides and makes contact and turns on. I don't know if the light is tied to the LCM. I can look in the wiring manual this weekend.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

There is a switch that is located in the bulb holder that activates when the hood is opened. I'd install a waterproof switch on the core support or get a 194 bulb base to connect to the exiting socket/switch. PM me if you need a socket.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thanks guys..
    I cut that lamp you are both referring to out and ran the ground and hot that ran to it, to my LED strip.
    Everything was ok for a while, now it doesn't want to work.
    I am beginning to wonder about the LCM..
    Thanks
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

Thread Information