Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 15S39 LCM Bypass Recall - Documented

Seriously gross. Ford should be embarrassed. How about desolder the relays on the module and replace. Any electronics repair shop can do such a thing. The relays are available through Allied.

I'm speaking to the proposed repair...not your workmanship.

Now we have dead relays in a module doing nothing, a couple pounds of box and wiring and relays that are redundant and unnecessary and clogging up an already crowded area, and a bunch of crimp connectors. Ick.

I prefer this method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvZg0q7Seo

It can be done much faster if you spring for a decent soldering station and one of these. https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...EaArQREALw_wcB
    Last edited by ByronRACE; 07-28-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
    Seriously gross. Ford should be embarrassed. How about desolder the relays on the module and replace. Any electronics repair shop can do such a thing. The relays are available through Allied.

I'm speaking to the proposed repair...not your workmanship.

Now we have dead relays in a module doing nothing, a couple pounds of box and wiring and relays that are redundant and unnecessary and clogging up an already crowded area, and a bunch of crimp connectors. Ick.

I prefer this method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvZg0q7Seo

It can be done much faster if you spring for a decent soldering station and one of these. https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...EaArQREALw_wcB
    Or send it to me for a nominal fee. I replace the headlight relay with a 40amp external relay and also replace the three other relays with higher amperage units. I also cover my repairs with a "life of the car" guaranty on my work.

Why spend money on tools you may use only once.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Logizyme View Post
    The very first LCM's I swapped out under 14N01 appeared the same, with Taiwan? relays. After they got past the initial backorder the LCM's for 14N01 were using Japanese relays IIRC - and that's a relay I would trust more than the original third world ones.
    Even the Japanese relays are no higher amperage than the original relays. That's the problem, using relays that can not stand up to the high amperage, resulting in damaged contacts.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Mine will be on the way to you very soon. Went out on me again Wednesday night. Kicked a few times and, poof, back on. That will only work so long...
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

Can someone post a picture where to find the LCM?
    I'm on my third one. I want to find one in the junk yard but don't know what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragcity View Post
    Mine will be on the way to you very soon. Went out on me again Wednesday night. Kicked a few times and, poof, back on. That will only work so long...
    Correct... and you know it will fail for good when you need it the most.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

It lives just above the OBDII port. Steel braket above it. Two 7 MM screws, Just need a nut driver, no rachet required. Three connectors in back Two grey ones come out easy. Then wiggle, force the thing out by pushing toward the fire wall and outward toward the driver side. Its in there..... Then you can dnagle it down to get the black plug from the white connector. That one is a pain. Has a little push tab in the middel that needs to be depressed. Gotta pull pretty hard to dislodge, while depressing the release tab.

JUST pulled mine out.
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKMARAUDER04 View Post
    Can someone post a picture where to find the LCM?
    I'm on my third one. I want to find one in the junk yard but don't know what I'm looking for.
    You will have a 50-50 chance of getting one that works.

The LCM is about the size of a brick.
    Located just to the right of the steering column by the OBDII connector.
    There are 3 electrical connectors and two 7mm screws.

I'll pay $20.00 each for LCMs.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 07-28-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    You will have a 50-50 chance of getting one that works.

The LCM is about the size of a brick.
    Located just to the right of the steering column by the OBDII connector.
    There are 3 electrical connectors and two 7mm screws.

I pay $20.00 each for LCMs.

So, if it fails, do you recommend replacing it, or rebuilding it with your suggested upgrades?

IIRC, after the underbody lighting kit was installed I started getting a "bzzzz" sound when the interior lights dimmed and went out, after getting in and out of the car.

That tells me a relay is opening and closing rapidly, but don't know if that has anything to do with the LCM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Sticky, please.

Perhaps also post a picture of the LCM, so we know what we are looking for (amongst a forest of black boxes).

"That's what." - She

Kenny Brown Mercury Marauder 'S' - Kenny Brown Signature Edition #10 of 10
    Silver Birch #126 of 4,453
    Mercury Division, Ford Motor Company, Panther/Marauders #7,221 of 7,839

MercuryMarauder.Net Member #111 (!)

Quote Originally Posted by N40GL View Post
    Sticky, please.

Perhaps also post a picture of the LCM, so we know what we are looking for (amongst a forest of black boxes).

It's real obvious. When I tucked the extra cable away for my ScanGauge to the side of the ODB port you could look up and see it.

Lot's of boxes yes, but this is large and right there, so you won't easily confuse it with anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Mark, it's really pretty obvious...it's right above the DLC (Data Link Connector), more commonly known as the OBD port. Looks like a black plastic brick. Run the adjustable pedals all the way down and you can manoeuvre it out.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKMARAUDER04 View Post
    Good luck with that. You're taking a chance that the one from the yard is not just as bad as the one you have. Better to send yours to FBM or replace the relays yourself if you have circuit board repair experience.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I had mine replaced under warranty in 2005....turn signals went out!!

That "warranty replacement" was later sent to "fastblackmerc" after he sent me one he had already repaired....still works PERFECTLY!!

Just got a "Recall Letter" from Ford to replace the one they replaced in 2005 but........at 263,000 miles I think they might just laugh!!

Thanks again Jim!!
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    I had mine replaced under warranty in 2005....turn signals went out!!

That "warranty replacement" was later sent to "fastblackmerc" after he sent me one he had already repaired....still works PERFECTLY!!

Just got a "Recall Letter" from Ford to replace the one they replaced in 2005 but........at 263,000 miles I think they might just laugh!!

Thanks again Jim!!
    Your welcome!

Glad I could help out!
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information