Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 15S39 LCM Bypass Recall - Documented

Thanks, Bob. Jim sent me a picture (or a link to an EBay picture). At least now I know that all the connectors are on the end of the "mystery box" and about what it looks like. That's what I needed to help my visualization before I dive in there tomorrow and retrieve it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Mark, it's really pretty obvious...it's right above the DLC (Data Link Connector), more commonly known as the OBD port. Looks like a black plastic brick. Run the adjustable pedals all the way down and you can manoeuvre it out.

"That's what." - She

Kenny Brown Mercury Marauder 'S' - Kenny Brown Signature Edition #10 of 10
    Silver Birch #126 of 4,453
    Mercury Division, Ford Motor Company, Panther/Marauders #7,221 of 7,839

MercuryMarauder.Net Member #111 (!)

That's an interesting fix and a very detailed post. I fixed mine before it failed. I used a Ford relay (slightly smaller than a Bosch) and it fit within the LCM where it can be closed and appear untouched. I don't want prying fingers on mine anyway due to the doors/trunk/horn/domelight connections made for the security system at the LCM. Seems like more work than installing a whole NEW revised LCM.

15S39 LCM Bypass Recall - Documented

I didn't think that of course mine has also been modified with all that stuff for the alarm. I'm pretty much boned if it ever fails.

What was it I heard on TV before I walked into the showroom in 2004? Oh yeah, I remember: "Ford, Quality is Job 1!"

In fairness though, of the 14 times I've taken it back to the dealer, none of the repairs have been for anything related to the drivetrain, always peripheral items. Like LCM, door switches, radios, plastic trim, door panels, fuel gauge, axles, center console, pedals, glove box, etc., etc.
    Last edited by Svashtar; 07-28-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    I didn't think that of course mine has also been modified with all that stuff for the alarm. I'm pretty much boned if it ever fails.

What was it I heard on TV before I walked into the showroom in 2004? Oh yeah, I remember: "Ford, Quality is Job 1!"

In fairness though, of the 14 times I've taken it back to the dealer, none of the repairs have been for anything related to the drivetrain, always peripheral items. Like LCM, door switches, radios, plastic trim, door panels, fuel gauge, axles, center console, pedals, glove box, etc., etc.
    It can be unplugged without tampering with aftermarket connections. Next time your Merc has some downtime send the LCM to me and I'll do the repair and ship it back for the price of postage.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Damn, thank you! That's really decent of you, but I'll at least add in for a case of beer for your trouble. I'll shoot you a PM and work out a time that works before too long. I figure it's probably overdue at 12 years now.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Links to the relevant PDF's(dealer bulletin and service procedure) attached at the bottom of the post - Thanks gdmjoe
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Arrow

Logizyme - Links to the relevant PDF's(dealer bulletin and service procedure) attached at the bottom of the post
    Also ...
    Documents - Mercury Marauder ««« -click-
    » Recalls

Could you some help ,

I could use some help on this subject. I apologize, I have a 2003 Grand Marquis LS. For 3 years I struggled with the headlights not working. I received the notice but my VIN was not on the list and they wanted $800 to replace the module. 2 years ago I replaced the relay for the headlights and all working again. I received another recall letter this time it was for my VIN. I have also been struggling with rear tail lights needing me to tap the LCM to work. My overhead lights occasional worked.
    When I got the letter from Ford I thought they where going to replace the module. When the job was done they told me they did a bypass. All of my other issues where still present. I had to tap the LCM to get the rear lights to work.
    2 weeks later I loss my blinkers, instrument dash lighting, The one light that comes on when the door opens stopped working. My panic button that would make the horn go in panic mode stopped. The horm that would beep when I would lock the door with the key fob stopped making the beep at lock. It might easier to say the only lights that work are the headlights (which was not a problem since I replaced the relay) and my break lights.This Wed I am having the Ford dealer confirm everything they did is still good. If they say it is good we talked about places that will repair the LCM. I want to confirm what they did is not faulty work explainng all these new problems like my blinkers stopped working, instrument dashboard lights (no longer light up or allow diming with control) and the fact that tapping the LCM no longer allows the rear lights to come on could be due to an issue with their worked performed. I'm in worse shaped since the bypass.
    If they say their work is good, should I be able to remove the LCM like I did a few years back or will the LCM bypass for the headlights be an issue for me to remove the LCM and do the relay replacments?
    Whats your thoughts on faulty work causing the new problems.
    The new problems happened within 2 weeks of their work.

Thank you for any info and I apologize for the 2003 Grand Marquis. This This forum was the closet article on the bypass I could fine. I would be happy to speak with anyone offline if it would be more helpful.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Logizyme View Post

Now that the wires have been cut, both sides of the wires need to be stripped in preparation to be attached to the butt connectors.

An experienced tech always remembers to double check and make sure heat shrink is on the wire prior to crimping or soldering. I decided to crimp and heatshrink all the harness side splices first, and do the connector side splices second.

Next plug the module in and connect the battery for a quick functions test. Everything works properly!

The directions indicate to tuck the module up by the PCM and route the harness' below the steering shaft along the instrument panel frame and back up to where they are spliced. The module and harness' are retained with the zip ties provided in the kit.

Install the LCM and install the covers and boom were done.

All in all not a fun job. For those of you who have spent some time working under a dash it is not too comfortable, not to mention the lack of motion I have when trying to do detailed steps like cutting and stripping and crimping. Luckily this clean rig was free of dust and debris, most rigs this old are dustier that your attic under the dash.

Overall I think this is a very poor repair, and my recommendation to everyone with a vehicle affected by this recall is to request it not to be performed. If your LCM fails we all know how to fix it, when know who to call and most of us can get the sucker in and out ourselves. As far as I can tell this recall has no expiration and you'll need to let your dealer know at every visit your request the repair not be performed. This repair is probably going to cause a lot more issues down the road as poor splices come apart or a harness chafes or a relay internal to the "module" fails.

15S39 Dealer Bulletin
    15S39 Service Procedure

If this was may car, this is what I'd do.

Remove the bypass and reconnect all the wires that were cut using solder and heat shrink tubing.

Replace all the relay in the LCM with higher amperage units and replace the headlight relay with a 30 - 40amp unit.

BTW... I fix LCMs, it's not cheap but it's not an abortion like this bypass.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Unless the dealer tech did a massively craptacular job, I would expect any problems due to the bypass would have shown up immediately. My understanding is that this bypass is just for the headlights, so shouldn't have had any effect on your other issues therefore I suspect your LCM may have simply given up the ghost.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to remove the LCM as normal to either replace it entirely or replace the relays.

Sounds like you're the first one here to have issues after the recall, so please let us know how you make out.

*EDIT* Make sure all 3 connectors are plugged in firmly and none of the pins have been dislodged.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Found a Mystery Part!

I pulled out the LCM on Saturday morning and it's off to fastblackmerc for repair.

When I dropped the vanity panel under the steering column to get access to the LCM, I found this plastic part sliding around on it. Anyone know what it is, so I can put it back where it belongs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"That's what." - She

Look like the clip from the PCM, sliver box near the emergency brake assembly.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    BTW... I fix LCMs, it's not cheap but it's not an abortion like this bypass.

I have a 03' GM with a failing LCM. It's the winter car so need reliable headlights. PM me if your still fixing LCMs. Have no Hi/Lo beams unless I smack the dash hard.
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 08-01-2017 at 05:40 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Look like the clip from the PCM, sliver box near the emergency brake assembly.
    That's what I thought, too, because its about the same width. I just can't figure out where it goes, or whether it is essential to put back.

"That's what." - She

Quote Originally Posted by N40GL View Post
    That's what I thought, too, because its about the same width. I just can't figure out where it goes, or whether it is essential to put back.
    Mine comes off too. As far as i can see, it really doesn't do anything.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information