Thread: how much of mazda does ford own?

Question how much of mazda does ford own?

what about the other jap companys? i hear only one is unmolested by american companys or some such. I'm not really too sure.

look at all them smilies! go logan!!

RancorKeeper Guest
    In 1979, Ford acquired a 25% stake in Mazda. In 1996, they increased that percentage to 33.4%. However, I don't believe that's technically a controlling interest (I could be wrong though), but I'd be surprised if they weren't the largest share-holder. However, even a controlling equity or stock interest doesn't legally entitle a person or corporation to outright ownership. They only control whatever percentage their number of shares entitle them to & whatever power those shares give them in voting. GM has a similar relationshipvwith Subaru.

Japanese Law is different. Ford does effectively have control of Mazda. The last couple of Mazda chiefs have been from Ford.

RancorKeeper Guest
    Well, that's like saying the Ford family owns Ford because they've had several CEO positions over the past 100 years, when in fact shareholders, like myself, technically own Ford. I agree it's a somewhat moot point because most decisions are made by a select few, but still, it's the principle of the thing.

Thread Information