Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leak near passenger rear tire.

Leak near passenger rear tire.

Guys, just did a 220 mile trip today and I got home and there is some type of oil ALL over my rear passenger tire and there is this dark fluid everywhere near the back of the vehicle; on the frame, the wheel, the tire, the brake caliper, tailpipe, etc.

I checked my brake fluid and it's not low, pretty sure I'm not leaking brake fluid.

My buddy says it's my axle seal.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by jmsa540; 10-15-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    '03 300A Marauder, 107K miles, flowmaster 40 series mufflers, 2nd cats deleted, HID 6000K foglights, SilverStar Ultra's headlights, goodyear gatorback belt, K&N FIPK, K&N drycharger, SS inserts, spoiler, MSD COP's, Nitto Motivo's.

Axle seal..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Great... Price? How hard to fix?

Any Part numbers??
    '03 300A Marauder, 107K miles, flowmaster 40 series mufflers, 2nd cats deleted, HID 6000K foglights, SilverStar Ultra's headlights, goodyear gatorback belt, K&N FIPK, K&N drycharger, SS inserts, spoiler, MSD COP's, Nitto Motivo's.

Sadly that’s your axle seal, very common problem in 2003.

Should I go ahead and do 4.10's?

Axle seal. Likely the axle shaft is bad also, so you'll need a seal, a shaft, and a new bearing. New parking brake shoes, too.

The job isn't hard, but if you've never done it before you might wanna ask a friend who has to assist.

Don't drive it any more than necessary and DON'T take any more 220-mile trips. If you run it out of fluid you'll be looking at a much bigger bill.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Roger, part numbers?

Thanks, guys.

While it's open I'd do the 4.10's.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

C clip rear axle

Gear lube has a particularly bad smell. Changing the axle seal on a "C" clip rear end is not that hard, a good project for a weekend warrior. A Haynes manual, or a quick search of you tube should reveal the details. But basically, a "C" clip inside the pumpkin retains the axle and keeps it from leaving the vehicle. You can see the occasional result of "C" clip failure along the road side... Ford 9 inch axles, and Dana use a bearing retainer at the outboard end and eliminate the "C" clip weakness. There are "C"clip eliminator kits on the market, but that's another job.
    You will have to dismantle the axle end, brake backing plate, etc. and then open the pumpkin. Removing the C clip doesn't require any special tools, but might need a little finagling. However, installing the new seal will require a seal driving tool, available at the auto parts store where you bought the seal (way under $10 bucks for a seal, I predict.). A seal puller is best to remove the old seal, but if you're VERY careful, something from your basic Harley Davidson tool kit will get it out. If the axle is damaged, feel with your finger for roughness, or a huge lip (some lipping is natural), but only a little. You will see clearly where the seal has been riding. Be sure to lube the axle shaft and the seal (petrolatum---Vaseline, or assembly lube, or just gear lube) when re-installing so that you don't tear the new seal, they are fragile that way. A good time to check the splines at the driven end of the axle... Be warned, gear lube is nasty stuff, so be sure and wear nitrile gloves.
    As for going to 4:10's, setting up tooth engagement, and rebuilding a posi is not a job for beginners, I would recommend a shop for that. (you will need some special tools, dial indicator, torque wrench, feeler gauges, machinist blueing, plus, to do an accurate job, a set of alignment shafts that hold the carrier in position are helpful (but tons of gear sets have been changed without them---just saying, a shop has access to specialized tools), etc. And, you will have to deal with....MATH, there, I said it)

I forgot to mention it's a good time to inspect or replace bearings...

Shop is saying it is "wheel seal", does this sound about right?

yes, but axle needs checked for a groove or it will leak again. 03 haz possible soft axles so a groove gets worn making bearing chew up seal
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Pics of said groove or location?

on axle shaft near end by tone ring. must pull axle to look. google marauder axle shaft groove
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information