Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil housing gasket

Oil housing gasket

How big of a job is it to change a leaky oil housing gasket on the '04? What are the steps? Thanks in advance.

BW
    Marauders x 3

Drain oil
    Drain radiator
    Make a mess draining thermostat housing. install new oem t-stat
    Pull 4 bolts holding the housing make a even bigger mess, if you have some swivel extensions, this makes life a little easier.
    Inspect housing for cracks.
    Clean gasket off housing, fill holes where the gasket was at on the housing, the housing tends to corrode, i just use some right stuff while installing the gasket.

Clean surfaces, install new gasket with sealer. New oil, oil filter, coolant.

Then fill with coolant and make sure heater core has plenty of coolant in it.

It makes a really big mess, but if you have a trash can lid sized catch all, then it helps.
    Other than a mess, really easy job. 4 bolts
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

make sure cooling system is burped for air, there are instructions on how to or it will overheat
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

You do not have to replace or remove the thermostat to remove the housing and then the gasket. You will also have to remove the “sending unit” to get access to the left lower bolt. Don’t over tighten then plastic drain plug on the radiator. Also make sure your cross over plug isn’t seized, if so torch that sucker. +1 on the right stuff, it seals the imperfections on the housing unit and you could put it on the gasket if you want overkill.

deleted. .lost link
    ncmm
    '04 Silver Birch MM 300A, build date:03/11/04, bought new 10/04 traded 8/08, 27k miles,

'04 Silver Birch MM 300A, build date:12/23/03, bought used 3/16/12, 24k miles
    113k miles as of 8/21/19. . .

update. . . sold 11/5/2019, 116k miles

Visit My Old Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreChiMM View Post
    You do not have to replace or remove the thermostat to remove the housing and then the gasket. You will also have to remove the “sending unit” to get access to the left lower bolt. Don’t over tighten then plastic drain plug on the radiator. Also make sure your cross over plug isn’t seized, if so torch that sucker. +1 on the right stuff, it seals the imperfections on the housing unit and you could put it on the gasket if you want overkill.
    You don't have to pull the sending unit, just use wobble extensions and socket

Thermostat was advised for maintenance, 13 year old part, coolant system is open, it should be replaced.

We forgot to mention buying a new COT tube oring on the plug

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 Black 300a

04 Heaton Swapped DTR

Oil housing gasket

Disregard, figured it out, thanks.

Found Byron’s instruction, all good, but going to have to reuse the COT plug o-ring as those puppies are hard to find.
    Last edited by Svashtar; 07-03-2019 at 08:07 AM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Disregard, figured it out, thanks.

Found Byron’s instruction, all good, but going to have to reuse the COT plug o-ring as those puppies are hard to find.
    Somehow the o-ring to my COT cap disappeared. It wasn’t there when I took the cap off. Does anyone have an extra they can send me from the 10-packs amazon used to sell? I’ll gladly send you $ for shipping and a few beers.

I found them online and for 6 of them they are charging $5 for materials and $25 for UPS ground shipping. ??? I figure 6 weigh a fraction of an ounce maybe.

It hasn’t been leaking so I don’t know how critical this is, but figure I better have it. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Researching SVTPerformance and this comes up.

http://www.oringsandmore.com/viton-o...ice-for-5-pcs/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Oil housing gasket

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Researching SVTPerformance and this comes up.

http://www.oringsandmore.com/viton-o...ice-for-5-pcs/

Thanks Bob, I’ll take a look. These are -14 though and Bryan’s original link was for -15, so I’ll see if they have that size. Appreciate the link.

I got the COT out pretty easily to finally change the O-rings and am cleaning that up and changing the OF housing gasket as well. The four bolts are almost impossible to see though. I see two on top but they’re angled down so might be for something else. I’ll figure it out.

P.S. Spent 10 minutes under the car in the sun today wiping stuff down and couldn’t see a thing around the housing. Went out tonight with a flashlight and the bolts are obvious. No problem getting around the sending unit with a wobbly.
    Last edited by Svashtar; 06-28-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Oil housing gasket

Ok, dumb question: Does the COT cap o-ring go up against the top underside of the cap above the threads, or is it the O-ring in the groove in the center of the cap? My cap was on tight with no leaking, but I swear there used to be a second o-ring on top of the threads. Thanks again.

Last edited by Svashtar; 06-28-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Sorry, I misread and thought you were looking for the crossover tube Orings..

The plug is - AS 568-015

Post 19

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...-rings.748060/

There is only the one Oring on the plug that I recall.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Sorry, I misread and thought you were looking for the crossover tube Orings..

The plug is - AS 568-015

Post 19

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...-rings.748060/

There is only the one Oring on the plug that I recall.

Thanks Bob. The link to the crossover tube o-rings is also helpful because of the price. I can’t recall where I got these 4 now, but I paid at least $20 for them. (I have to start bookmarking everything because the search here sucks.)

The COT plug seems to have a space above the threads and under the cap for an o-ring, but one wasn’t there, just the center one. Since it isn’t leaking I won’t worry about it.

I don’t know how you find these links so quick but appreciate it.

I should have some cot plug o rings here. Gotta find em

Current marauders

03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 Black 300a

04 Heaton Swapped DTR

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    Drain oil
    Drain radiator
    Make a mess draining thermostat housing. install new oem t-stat
    Pull 4 bolts holding the housing make a even bigger mess, if you have some swivel extensions, this makes life a little easier.
    Inspect housing for cracks.
    Clean gasket off housing, fill holes where the gasket was at on the housing, the housing tends to corrode, i just use some right stuff while installing the gasket.

Clean surfaces, install new gasket with sealer. New oil, oil filter, coolant.

Then fill with coolant and make sure heater core has plenty of coolant in it.

It makes a really big mess, but if you have a trash can lid sized catch all, then it helps.
    Other than a mess, really easy job. 4 bolts
    Thanks for all this Bryan. I got the housing off (that last bolt behind the sending unit was the messy one!) and there is some slight corrosion on the removable side of the housing where the gasket was. I sanded it out on a piece of plate glass covered with high grit sandpaper, but it’s a lot harder to smooth out the block side.

I have some sticky permatex form-a-gasket I’ll coat both sides with and hope that works to tighten things up.

I’m not sure exactly how tight they were, but I had to lean on all 4 bolts pretty hard to break them free; I’m guessing they were on at about 50-60 ft lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information