Thread: Rear Air Suspension

Rear Air Suspension

I've noticed that if my Marauder sits for several days without driving, the RR suspension begins to sag; LR stays up. Upon startup, pump operates and everything is back to normal in short order.

Questions:

Is the air spring failing? Normal leakage? Someone here quoted $300 per side? Per pair? Airsprings I've priced are about $70 - $100 a pair - the rest must be labor.

Some guidance is appreciated.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

I think if you can tell one side is sagging big time, then you have a leak. Mine kicks on in the am when I go to work to level it self but I don’t see a significant drop as you say you do. There’s guys here that have had more experience with air springs than I. Put the MM on a lift a check the air springs. Good luck

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

What is the difference between LR and RR?

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

oem airsprings are over $300 each, no labor. check your solenoid that side
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Thanks for the replies. A neighbor has a brand new lift in his 16ft height garage - will approach him today - had an interesting time with him yesterday repairing a riding lawnmower LOL! Crooked deck height turned out to be the result of mis-matched rear tires - alcohol flowed afterwards!

Found that I could get OEM parts without Ford part numbers through partsgeek.com at a huge savings. From memory: 4WD transfer case motor through Ford - around $300. Same part from the OEM without the Ford part number: $125- $130.

If I drive the car several times in a 24-48 hour period I notice no sag. Last drove it on the 2nd - probably the weekend before I noticed the RR sag. Not an emergency at the moment, just soliciting others' experiences.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

I replaced air bags and compressor last year with the arnott parts and was in a hurry so I neglected to lube up the o-rings on the solenoids that plug into the bags. Car would drop on one side a bit overnight. Removed solenoids and lubed them up a bit and reinstalled. No problems since. I found the worst part of this job to be getting the solenoid-air line plugged into the new air bag. Everything else was pretty straight forward

Quote Originally Posted by Shinker View Post
    I replaced air bags and compressor last year with the arnott parts and was in a hurry so I neglected to lube up the o-rings on the solenoids that plug into the bags. Car would drop on one side a bit overnight. Removed solenoids and lubed them up a bit and reinstalled. No problems since. I found the worst part of this job to be getting the solenoid-air line plugged into the new air bag. Everything else was pretty straight forward
    Thanks for this tip. My final trip to Canada involved me spending New Years Weekend 2016-2017 in Yorkton. Then, visiting customers in Saskatoon and Regina. I'm now retired and may never return to Canada but I spent much time there over two decades, resulting in great memories!
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Update: Marauder went to my favorite shop as the owner (lead tech) stated he was familiar with these systems. He was a F-L-M mechanic for many years before opening his own shop a couple of decades back. Stated he could find nothing obvious, reseated the airlines and vent solenoid. Soapy water test revealed nothing afterwards. He thinks its ok but to keep an eye on it. The first Marauder to come into his shop ever! Changed out the fuel filter too as I have no idea if and when it has ever been changed.

Driving to my daughter's house in SC tomorrow for mother's day weekend. My son-in-law has always wanted a Marauder, my grandkids are excited and my daughter could really care less but she is making plenty of noise about getting my Mustang LOL!!!
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Are you parking the car on a level surface?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Are you parking the car on a level surface?
    Well, no. It appeared to be level at the steer tires but the drive tires were on an unlevel surface (gravel). Wasn't sure if the car was dipping on its RR corner or not - just looked askew. I wanted to be safe rather than sorry and I needed to have the fuel filter changed anyway. I also wanted to take a look up under the car as I didn't get the chance when it was being serviced in Michigan before driving it home.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Update: Marauder went to my favorite shop as the owner (lead tech) stated he was familiar with these systems. He was a F-L-M mechanic for many years before opening his own shop a couple of decades back. Stated he could find nothing obvious, reseated the airlines and vent solenoid. Soapy water test revealed nothing afterwards. He thinks its ok but to keep an eye on it. The first Marauder to come into his shop ever! Changed out the fuel filter too as I have no idea if and when it has ever been changed.

Driving to my daughter's house in SC tomorrow for mother's day weekend. My son-in-law has always wanted a Marauder, my grandkids are excited and my daughter could really care less but she is making plenty of noise about getting my Mustang LOL!!!

No news is good news!!

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Well, no. It appeared to be level at the steer tires but the drive tires were on an unlevel surface (gravel). Wasn't sure if the car was dipping on its RR corner or not - just looked askew. I wanted to be safe rather than sorry and I needed to have the fuel filter changed anyway. I also wanted to take a look up under the car as I didn't get the chance when it was being serviced in Michigan before driving it home.
    If the car is not on a level surface the car will make the attempt to level itself. If you have a garage try parking it there and see if you have the same issue.

Thread Information