Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Homemade 3" Exhaust

My Homemade 3" Exhaust

I fabricated a 3" mandrel bent exhaust system for my Marauder.

I did the build on my back in the shop. If it's not the hardest thing I've ever fabricated it's definitely up there in the top 5.

The exhaust is all T409 SS (except for the rear mufflers), V band connectors, all mandrel bends, 9" race mufflers off the collectors and 27" super turbo mufflers out back. I kept the resonators in the stock tips, and reused the factory dampeners on the mufflers.

I built the center section first, then set the mufflers where I wanted them.
    The cross section for the H is 2.5"

To get over the axle I had to get the weight of the vehicle on the ground so I picked up some concrete 16x16x4 pads.

The bends over the axle have V bands on both sides to make removing them an easy task.

I still have to set my tips but the hard work is now over with.

I decided against using TIG and went with the speed of my MIG. All the welding wire is 308L SS wire.

She sounds pretty mean. The tone is deep and throaty.

Lucky for me I didn't have to chase down a single leak.

All in all I may have spent $800.00 in parts and countless hours fabricating this kit.
    Last edited by musclemerc; 11-02-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Looks awesome!!!

Glad that all worked out. I have the old Stainless Works 3" kit, and nothing really lined up. In short, it was a headache. All good now though.

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

Left side tail is crooked. LOL

Looks damn good Travis! I’m surprised you didn’t enjoy it? I love making my own pipe stuff if time allows. I just wish I had better shop equipment.. I have three nice portabands, a crappy table bandsaw (soon to be in the garbage), but not a nice if even cheap horizontal one which would be the ticket.

I would highly recommend that you add V bands right off the collector if your not already. After a few heat cycles, condensation, and age, the X will be a bear to get off and back on without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_S55 View Post
    Glad that all worked out. I have the old Stainless Works 3" kit, and nothing really lined up. In short, it was a headache. All good now though.

Mine took serious massaging with 2 x 4’s to bend it right without dinging it up... Mostly the X and right side tail pipe. It took two more adjustments later to get it close to right! The muffler hangers were also bent oddly and too short. One even broke loose and fell off a couple of years ago. And I’ve done hundreds of systems as my job in my younger years. I could never imagine how anyone that hasn’t done many could ever get it to work..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

If I need to drop the LT's in the future I'll put them on. I ordered a spare pair just for that.

For now they got old school U clamps holding them in place

Nice!!!! I'll send my car down for a motor/blower build and exhaust.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Look fanfreakingtastic!

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.

Great quotes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

Very nice!

Very nice!!!

This is quality work right there and it,s very well done travis

are the mufflers stainless steel ? all the turbo styles mufflers I have been looking for are all aluminized.
    x2 on using mig for the whole job , I will do the same when I get there

04 p71 5 speed manual 5.4 2V N/A 390/382 at the wheels
    13.079 @ 105 1.8 60'

youtube vids
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCe...9CCkZAtI2pY2JQ

Quote Originally Posted by 2004_p71 View Post
    This is quality work right there and it,s very well done travis

are the mufflers stainless steel ? all the turbo styles mufflers I have been looking for are all aluminized.
    x2 on using mig for the whole job , I will do the same when I get there
    I'm glad you asked this question Pier. I amended the thread, thanks for reminding me.

The mufflers are all Dynomax... The front 9" mini race bullets are SS.
    The rear 27" super turbo mufflers are aluminized

Didn't intend to mislead anyone.

I looked and looked but when they get this big aluminized is the only option.

I was dead set on turbo mufflers, they came stock on the MM.
    Last edited by musclemerc; 06-30-2018 at 04:41 PM.

I thought the front ones were cats at that size do they do any difference ?

I have been looking myself for all stainless steel Turbo mufflers for over a year. I had the full SW kit with their ''turbo'' muffler and as much as it sounded great at the track for a daily driver I really hated it. I'm looking for something MUCH more civilized for a daily driver and looks like the dynomax is the only option so far . Is there any drone at all ? .

04 p71 5 speed manual 5.4 2V N/A 390/382 at the wheels
    13.079 @ 105 1.8 60'

youtube vids
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCe...9CCkZAtI2pY2JQ

Nicely done. You'll be glad you went with the stock resonated tips.
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Thats a great looking system you fabricated , I remember helping the fabricator do mines many late nights till 1 or 2am he said he wouldn't do another one as it was far to time consuming with all of the Tig welding and building the different angles , but definetly worth it I bet your loving that deep rumble!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information