Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with instrument cluster

Quote Originally Posted by CrownVic75 View Post
    It's just that the Marauder had some options that didn't come on the Crown Vic (like the Tach, and actual working oil and volt meters). The Crown Vics came with on/off switches as sensors for gauges like the oil pressure. The manufacturer made the so called gauges act the same as idiot lights.
    FYI, the oil pressure gauge in the Marauder is a fake, too. Ford had AutoMeter custom make the fake gauges to LOOK like the real thing, but act just like all of Ford's other OP gauges. Many of us took that **** out and replaced it with a real working gauge at our own expense.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Thanks for the tip - I'll contact CMD ASAP. The Yelp! reviews for the Summerville facility are hilarious! I don't bother posting anything to Yelp! anymore as I've been shadow banned for some unknown reason. My negative reviews were always truthful and objective. Kept getting messages that my 'negative reviews' (few and far between) 'weren't serving the best interests of the community'? Then, I see some of the other stuff posted to Yelp?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/above-and-b...VLhXDbp_h65elg

That'[s funny...I am Consult_T. That's my post on yelp.

2004 CV LX Sport

SCT X2, Blue Oval Tune (needs update), ADTR Plenum, 70mm Aviator TB, 80mm MAF, 3.73:1 Auburn Posi rear end, 18-inch Mustang GT Fan-blade wheels with BFG 255/45ZR18 tires, MM Instrumentation, rear spoiler, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Tinted Headlights, Focus Fog lights w/Marauder switch, Honeycomb grille. Next installs: Upgrade exhaust system, lowered 1".

Initial findings

Well, this evening, before the thunderstorms started, it was cool enough that I disassembled the dash so I could fix the Fuel gauge. So far I have 38 pictures of my progress and the destruction.

Here are a few of my findings, so far.

1. The "faux wood" trim practicality fell off. Three of the four push-in snaps were broken clean off.
    2. Only five of the eight mounting screws that hold the dash face-plate were there. (3 missing screws.) One screw was just hanging 2/3 out, not tightened down.
    3. ALL of the screw holes in the dash face-plate were cracked from being tightened down to tight. I'll bet they used a power socket driver.
    4. And finally, pin 2 of the Black connector (C2220a) has a Bk/WH wire going to it. Hmmmm? The BK/WH wire in the schematics is labeled "Voltage supplied in Run (Overload Protect)" So let's see, I have 12V on the YE/WH wire on pin 1 and I have 12V on the BK/WH wire on pin 2. That means the fuel gauge has 12 volts on both sides of it. No wonder it's not working.
    Pin 2 is supposed to be a PK/OG wire to supply ground to the fuel gauge. All grounds on the cluster are PK/OG.
    5. I almost forgot... all the color coded wires were sliced to solid black wires using butt connectors and wire crimps.

Ya know, it occurs to me that someone had to really be trying, to screw things up this bad. Tomorrow I will do some more exploring before I try to repair anything. And I'll keep taking pictures, I'll need them for the Judge.

I'm so glad I hired a professional to do this.

2004 CV LX Sport

SCT X2, Blue Oval Tune (needs update), ADTR Plenum, 70mm Aviator TB, 80mm MAF, 3.73:1 Auburn Posi rear end, 18-inch Mustang GT Fan-blade wheels with BFG 255/45ZR18 tires, MM Instrumentation, rear spoiler, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Tinted Headlights, Focus Fog lights w/Marauder switch, Honeycomb grille. Next installs: Upgrade exhaust system, lowered 1".

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    FYI, the oil pressure gauge in the Marauder is a fake, too. Ford had AutoMeter custom make the fake gauges to LOOK like the real thing, but act just like all of Ford's other OP gauges. Many of us took that **** out and replaced it with a real working gauge at our own expense.
    I used real Autometer "Whiteface" gauges also. (I may replace them with "Phantom II" gauges so they nearly match the Marauder backlit gauge numbers.) Just thinking...

2004 CV LX Sport

That'[s funny...I am Consult_T. That's my post on yelp.

I'm reminded of living in NE FL during the late '80s and early to mid '90s. Huge influx of people from NE US moving in and take any available job, qualified or not. So bad it was often funny, but not always. Auto repair/service held a big attraction for those folks.

My (ex) wife was hit at an intersection by a 'trucker'(?) pulling an auto carrier trailer - he apparently forgot he had a trailer behind him when he made the turn. Wife and daughters weren't injured but our nearly new pickup truck was seriously damaged. Turned out the guy had just moved to the area from NY with his pregnant girlfriend.

His uncle was a local used car wholesaler who had his own truck and, by coincidence, needed a driver at that very moment. 'Nephew' had never driven a semi truck before, much less hold a commercial license (chauffeur's license back then - before CDL). Similar stories were common across the spectrum, especially in Auto Service/Repair.

Now, I primarily patronize a Vietnamese guy who came here in 1972, worked for a local Ford dealer for decades before opening his own shop. He's starting to slip a bit unfortunately. We've had a nearly 20 year run together, mostly impeccable up until the last year or so.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Sounds like he's just getting tired and needs to retire.

Been there, done that. :-)
    I was a Computer/Network Security Guru for the last 18 years, finally got tired of it and retired. Wasn't fun anymore.
    ("Guru" was what others called me, not my idea.)

2004 CV LX Sport

Fixed my cluster - Update.

Well, I got the fuel gauge working properly today. The person that did the rewire had a BK/WH wire going to pin 2 of C2220a(BK). For a marauder, that's correct, it's the MM's ground wires. However for a Crown Vic the BK/WH wires are +12V and PK/OG are grounds. I cut the wire and connected the gauge wire to a PK/OG wire (pin 8). After I remounted the cluster I took it for a spin and everything seems to work.

I'm sure glad I bought the authentic Ford "Wiring Diagrams" and "Workshop Manual" right after I purchased the car.

Now I have to get a lot of JB Weld and try and repair all the broken snaps and screw hole tabs on the dashboard fascia, and the the faux wood trim piece.
    This so-called mechanic even left pieces of wires that he cut off in the pocket where the cluster fits. He didn't even clean up the mess he made.

And I'm still "spreading the word" about the garage I let create this mess.

2004 CV LX Sport

And I'm still "spreading the word" about the garage I let create this mess.

At least you're proactive and got right to work fixing up the sorry mess. Now, avoid these guys in the future!

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Consult_T is me, that yelp post is one that I posted.
    2004 CV LX Sport

Invective,

I had to visit two auto parts stores today and got into discussions with some other guys and they wanted to know who to avoid. I told them.

2004 CV LX Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    At least you're proactive and got right to work fixing up the sorry mess. Now, avoid these guys in the future!

I believe I met this mechanic, recently.

2004 CV LX Sport

Riddle me this?

I finally had time, between rain storms, to fully check out the cluster wiring. Everything in the cluster seems to be working now. Except maybe the following.
    I’m having a lot of problems with either the alternator or the battery. I had to replace the battery post connector because the original OEM post clamp had completely corroded away. I believe that fixed the battery connection problem.

My first problem is that when I use a multimeter and measure the voltage at the battery post it reads 12.3 volts. But when I turn on the key, the voltmeter, inside the car, reads 8.8 volts. Outside stays the same. And the starter has a very hard time cranking. But once it catches, if it does, and the engine starts, the inside voltmeter reads 13+ volts. (A couple of days ago, it never got above 12.5.)

I’ve done all the standard measurements concerning the battery and all the wires on the alternator. All readings seem to be as they should. When the engine is running the voltage at the alternator says 14.1 volts. I’ve performed these measurements with a multimeter and with my battery charger.
    (I have a Black & Decker Model BC15BD – it has, a “Battery Voltage Reading”, an “Alternator Check”, an “Engine Start”, and a “Battery Recondition” buttons, as well as a Battery Charge” button.) And I’ve used it to also check what I did with the multimeter.

Ok, now after all that...my question is “where should I connect the inside voltmeter? I’m thinking of running a new wire from the CJB”

Page 62-1 in the manual shows pin 10 of C2220b, which comes straight from the CJB under the hood. Right now I don’t know where the idiot that wired the cluster got the +12v feed from. I had planned on investigating that this weekend. Page 62-5 of the manual shows it is wired straight to the CJB through a shared wire with the floor shifter and oil pressure gauge.

2004 CV LX Sport

Marauder cluster swap into a Crown Vic: the gift that keeps on giving.

*Incompetent technician not included.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Dayum!!!! throw in a few more grand you could buy an actual Marauder.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Marauder cluster swap into a Crown Vic: the gift that keeps on giving.

*Incompetent technician not included.

I am doing the same mod into my 2006 Taurus. And my Troy Bilt lawn tractor. Maybe my chainsaw...
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information