Thread: dry transmission start up

dry transmission start up

Hey Guys,
    I'm starting up my rebuilt transmission very soon.
    I'm thinking of going about it this way
    - through the dip stick tube add about 7 quarts or enough to register in "good zone" on the dip stick
    -start the car, wait 5 minutes
    - check the dip stick, add as needed to the good zone again
    - drive the car just a bit (the engine is new also and with the Marty O base tune is place I can get it around the block I think) & slow
    - park, turn car off, add again to same spot on dip stick.
    - drive normally again around the block
    - add more
    etc.

thoughts?
    Thanks
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

That's fine. I prefer to keep it on the low side of the cold zone at first. Then once you have a chance to get the transmission to full operating temp fill it to the hot zone. Being full at hot is more important than being full at cold. Make sense?
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Blazen, thanks
    Yes, makes sense; I'm thinking "low fill side" keeps the fluid from being too much volume as it (the same fluid) expands due to heat.
    Lastly, does the torque converter fill with fluid as a result of the tranny being run?
    I ask because when I got my tranny back from the shop, they included a rebuilt torque converter, which I installed with the tranny; I never added fluid of any kind to the converter.
    Being extra careful here as I go; at this point I want to avoid any big problems if I can.
    Thanks again
    -KK
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

If the convertor is dry it will take about 12 quarts. There should be dry fill info some were, maybe owners manual. My 98 mark VIII (4R70W) has a converter drain when I do a complete change with filter it takes 12-13 qts.
    73TORINO SPORT 112K M. BOUGHT NEW
    04 DTR 42K M.
    03 BLK 9K M.
    07 GT500 10K M.
    98 MARK VIII 70K M. BOUGHT NEW
    21 EXPLORER PLATINUM 3.0
    18 GENESIS G80 5.0
    78 RANCHERO 5.0
    54 GMC

Torin, thanks.
    It's odd - the shop manual I have, which is very complete calls for 12.9 quarts. The glove box owners manual says 17+!
    In any case, it seems, based on these inputs and other reading I have done tonight, that the torque converter can be prefilled or it gets filled once it is installed and the internal transmission pump begins pumping.
    So I am good. I think.

Thread Information