Thread: J-mod on the family car - My experience

J-mod on the family car - My experience

Well I had to drop the pan to do a filter and flush so I figured what the heck for $3.50 in gaskets and the price of two new drill bits I could do the mod. With the directions posted in the link below, it was crazy easy, like a step by step on how to tie your shoe laces! My car is all stock, plus I haul the wife and three youngn's around in it all the time so I was concerned about getting to aggressive with it.
    I left all the springs just the way they were and only did the drilling. I did drill out to the max dimensions using the 7/64 bit and the 3/32 bit for the reverse. Overall I LOVE IT! Completely mild at 1/4 and 1/2 throttle ( around town driving), and at 3/4 throttle its a nice crisp shift, but at WOT its a fantastic snap that doesn't break the tires loose but does raise the front of the car some....If anything I wold have gone a bit more on the reverse, its a noticeable difference, but could use a tad more.
    So, for you guys who are concerned about the EVERYDAY drive ability of the vehicle with this mod, look no further! I am SOOO glad I did this....

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...t=j-mod&page=2

http://www.crownvic.net/tech/4R70Wnotes.pdf

I removed my springs and its very smooth yet. This will depend on how your line pressure is set up in your tune, mine is set very low.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    I removed my springs and its very smooth yet. This will depend on how your line pressure is set up in your tune, mine is set very low.
    + 2! Mine shifts very smooth.. Unless you get pass half throttle.. Very crisp.. but not harsh.. Just right.
    04 twin turbo Marauder custom made by myself 😁
    3800stall freddy Brown 4stbe trans 31 spline rear
    601rwhp 592rwtq @19psi

I will be doing this mod come this week. how many quarts of fluid do you guys use on this?

2003 300A Black MM
    Quote Originally Posted by magindat View Post
    Modding a Marauder is a classy, time taking experience - like sipping fine aged spirits. It's meant to take your time, savor, and enjoy!!!!
    FRPP ALUMINATOR MOTOR 10:1
    BC AUTOMOTIVE TRANNY 2800 STALL
    TRILOGY S/C WITH POSI PERFORMANCE PORT
    STAINLESS WORKS LT HEADERS
    METCO REAR CONTROL ARMS AND WATTS LINK
    ADDCO FRONT & REAR SWAY BAR
    MONROE HD QUICK STRUTS FRONT
    QA1 ADJUSTABLE REAR SHOCKS
    EATON LIMTED SLIP DIFF:FORD RACING 4.10'S
    DUAL AEROMOTIVE 340LPH PUMPS, 40AMP BAP, WITH DUAL FPDM'S
    ZACKS BIG BRAKE SWAP w/ TCE SS LINES
    SCANGAUGE MONITORING....^....^....^
    ALL SECURIED WITH A VIPER SECURITY SYSTEM REMOTELY STARTED BY MY VIPER IPHONE APP

Mine took between 9-10. On a Trilogy car I have found using a normal long tranny funnel, melted and dented in about three locations will do the job, or just take the wiper ass. out. Good luck.
    Last edited by justbob; 06-07-2009 at 07:45 AM.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Yep 9 Qrts

What is this doing for a stock-ish car, that you couldn't do better with a tune? You can make the shifts so hard with just the tune that it breaks the tires loose shifting on dry pavement and gives you whiplash
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Jerry said it was good.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Quote Originally Posted by VicsEvilBrother View Post
    What is this doing for a stock-ish car, that you couldn't do better with a tune? You can make the shifts so hard with just the tune that it breaks the tires loose shifting on dry pavement and gives you whiplash
    Line pressures are ran high to achive Firm Hard shifts with a tuner.. Unlike with the J/mod
    04 twin turbo Marauder custom made by myself 😁
    3800stall freddy Brown 4stbe trans 31 spline rear
    601rwhp 592rwtq @19psi

AND...

High line pressure = pump working hard...

pump working hard = possible premature failure...

This thread has good information in it.
    2003 Silver Marauder - Forged Iron Engine, Supercharged, SW Exhaust
    2002 White F250 7.3 - Turbo

So what would you need to do if you have a tune and want to do the J-mod as well? First is it OK to do this? If it is would you then need to lower the line pressures in the tune? Seems like you would, but being a poor old counntry dirt farmer what do I know.

I had Marty lower the pressure before I did mine.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    So what would you need to do if you have a tune and want to do the J-mod as well? First is it OK to do this? If it is would you then need to lower the line pressures in the tune? Seems like you would, but being a poor old counntry dirt farmer what do I know.
    Most tunes have some options that are unlocked for you to modify yourself like shift firmness, gear ratio, tire revolutions, and idle RPM just to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Thread Information