Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10spd auto in a panther chassis

Quote Originally Posted by 2mercs View Post
    Amazon. OHP ELMconfig OBD2 to USB ELM327 Adapter with MS-Can & HS-Can Switch and Forscan Compatible for DIY Ford Diagnostics on Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0GVBWY..._xNu7BbPQ6F8A1

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks! Ordering tomorrow.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by 88grandmarq View Post
    Yep, thats the one you want.

Thanks!

How's Indiana?

Trans is operating like the well oiled sewing machine. Thanks for the info.

WLB

#2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Mo's Dyno Tune

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 2mercs View Post
    Amazon. OHP ELMconfig OBD2 to USB ELM327 Adapter with MS-Can & HS-Can Switch and Forscan Compatible for DIY Ford Diagnostics on Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F0GVBWY..._xNu7BbPQ6F8A1

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. Similar to the Dealer Tool program and adapter for my bikes. Been a Mac person forever so I have this and the SCT programs loaded onto a refurb HP 'Stream' laptop.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    When you start the vehicle the next time is it still off?

It's still off, it's a button above start button.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

Quote Originally Posted by Taemian View Post

Was he short shifting? I see his shift speeds are within 2-3 MPH (slower) than when I shift for the 2-3 and the 3-4 and I’m shifting at 6,000 RPM’s with a 4.10 to their 3.73.

I average 78 going into 3rd and right around 115 into 4th.

Either way it’s common sense that you aren’t going to out shift a newer auto. Plus the power loss is probably a good percentage less than the older autos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Unless all you want to do is run the dragstrip & win, IMHO this is all lose.

You lose hearing the engine rev between shifts

You lose feeling each gear engage

And in comparison to M/T, you lose 99% of the driving experience/enjoyment from shifting & banging gears - what really puts a smile on your face.

If someone wants this, they should save their $$$ and go drive mom's SUV with a CVT trans...

WLB

#2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Mo's Dyno Tune

Well, yes, some of us DO in fact like to win. Your argument doesn't really hold water in some fronts IMHO.

Do any of us run really hard all season tires (Treadwear rating 480+) just because we love to hear screeching tires? Doesn't that take away sound from the "experience"? This is the exact same reasoning you've used. What's next? "If you don't run bias ply radials like on old musclecars, you lose the experience of tires screeching, gettin squirrelly through the corners and *****ing your pants. That's what a REAL driver in a REAL car does."

Or "Running open exhaust is waaay better because you get more horsepower and it sounds cool. Mufflers are for girlie men."

Who bangs and clangs shifts when not racing?? If I'm doing some spirited driving OR racing, my smile comes from looking in my rear view mirror and seeing who/what's in it and what my capability in the car is.

Who among us hasn't had the VTEC Honda with the huge fart can in traffic? Thinking about said Honda, as well as both your argument and your preferred method/experience of driving, Shakespeare said it best : "It is a tale told...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I LOVE cruising in restored muscle cars, they have a charm of raw gasoline smell and vinyl seats to slide around while cornering hard. They have amazing character all their own. But to say that "If you don't have carburetors and the uneven lope of racing cams, it's not the full muscle car experience" is pretty silly. Especially when the world has 700+hp daily drivers from many manufacturers that use fuel injection/computers to achieve anything between calm daily driving and solid track competition.

Would you rather be driving a 1970 Marauder? Progress is not the enemy.

MOD HISTORY:
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims

The only problem I have with the ten Speed auto is all the Problems that Chevy and Ford are having with it. My friend at my local Ford dealer Loves the new 10 speeds for their lack of reliability, he has so many coming in he's making quite a bit of money on repairs. I think it's a cool swap. But I question the cost and reliability vs a Gear Vendor unit.

one thing I do like about the 10 speed is it has a real overdrive, 3 of them is a bit over kill, but gears 8,9,and 10 are all in the .6 range with 10th being .64. Unlike the 5 & 6 speed autos that very similar OD with the 4 speed auto.
    2003 Mercury Marauder- Stock with 223k miles.

2000 Crown Victoria P73. Deep Wedge Wood Blue.
    SW longtube headers and high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers, 3.55 gears w/track lock, 70mm Aviator TB, PnP factory plenum, ADTR intake tube, 87 octaine tune by MO. Bilstein HD shocks, Mecto Rear control arms w/ watts link, Addco custom order 1.5 inch front sway bar (38mm), 1.25 inch rear bar 31.75mm (only 11 made).

Like any new tech, it has it's teething problems. Remember the first Mustang with the Central Injection System? The carb-like thing that sprayed a single stream straight into the manifold? Yikes, I worked on those.

I've got a friend with a Gear Vendor unit in his Marauder, I'll ask him what he thinks of it.

And....I'm not even going to mention the rise of AWD in performance applications (GTR comes to mind) or Tesla and other electric vehicle that are quiet, smooth, and essentially a single speed transmission.

Like I said, I love older cars and what they represent. We wouldn't have what we do today if not for the 60s musclecars. Would I want to own one today? No, I've been down that road already, I sold a 1969 Boss 302 replica years ago for my house downpayment. Love the memories, but not numb-butt, stiff-neck, sore ears "experience" that some purists seem to revel in.

Here is a great video giving both sides of the story, efficiency vs driving experience in regards to transmissions. There is no need for mudslinging, and I readily say "to each his own."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=lCQYVbfsw-w
    Last edited by Taemian; 06-07-2019 at 10:14 AM.

MOD HISTORY:
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    -Widened rims

Well, yes, some of us DO in fact like to win. Your argument doesn't really hold water in some fronts IMHO.

Do any of us run really hard all season tires (Treadwear rating 480+) just because we love to hear screeching tires? Doesn't that take away sound from the "experience"? This is the exact same reasoning you've used. What's next? "If you don't run bias ply radials like on old musclecars, you lose the experience of tires screeching, gettin squirrelly through the corners and *****ing your pants. That's what a REAL driver in a REAL car does."

Or "Running open exhaust is waaay better because you get more horsepower and it sounds cool. Mufflers are for girlie men."

Who bangs and clangs shifts when not racing?? If I'm doing some spirited driving OR racing, my smile comes from looking in my rear view mirror and seeing who/what's in it and what my capability in the car is.

Who among us hasn't had the VTEC Honda with the huge fart can in traffic? Thinking about said Honda, as well as both your argument and your preferred method/experience of driving, Shakespeare said it best : "It is a tale told...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I LOVE cruising in restored muscle cars, they have a charm of raw gasoline smell and vinyl seats to slide around while cornering hard. They have amazing character all their own. But to say that "If you don't have carburetors and the uneven lope of racing cams, it's not the full muscle car experience" is pretty silly. Especially when the world has 700+hp daily drivers from many manufacturers that use fuel injection/computers to achieve anything between calm daily driving and solid track competition.

Would you rather be driving a 1970 Marauder? Progress is not the enemy.

That's exactly what I said.

If racing & winning is your thing its the way to go.

I don't do track and street racing (hard) is for fools.

With a M/T, I bang gears all the time - that's the entire purpose of the vehicle - smiles per mile. It's why I have a very high pressure J-mod in my MM, as close to a M/T as you can get with an A/T.

I have the 10sp auto in my F150 and it is an entirely disappointing, horribly engineered piece of ¢r Ap.

Ford should be ashamed for putting such a terrible piece of equipment in their vehicles but then FoMoCo derailed themselves many years ago. A shadow of what the company once was. They are extremely lucky GM & Chrysler took Beelzebub's $$$, otherwise they would be out of business.

WLB

#2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Mo's Dyno Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Bondfreak13 View Post
    The only problem I have with the ten Speed auto is all the Problems that Chevy and Ford are having with it. My friend at my local Ford dealer Loves the new 10 speeds for their lack of reliability, he has so many coming in he's making quite a bit of money on repairs. I think it's a cool swap. But I question the cost and reliability vs a Gear Vendor unit.

one thing I do like about the 10 speed is it has a real overdrive, 3 of them is a bit over kill, but gears 8,9,and 10 are all in the .6 range with 10th being .64. Unlike the 5 & 6 speed autos that very similar OD with the 4 speed auto.

Gear vendor is the way to go, far superior to the 10sp A/T.

The 10sp A/T seems like it was 1/2 way completed in development at someone said "throw in in production vehicles now".

The O/D is nice, the mpg it gives is nice - just a shame it was hal fas sed engineered...

WLB

#2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Mo's Dyno Tune

I was thinking more of the Cost vs reward involved. The cost of Swapping the 10 speed, vs installing the gear vendor unit.
    2003 Mercury Marauder- Stock with 223k miles.

2000 Crown Victoria P73. Deep Wedge Wood Blue.
    SW longtube headers and high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers, 3.55 gears w/track lock, 70mm Aviator TB, PnP factory plenum, ADTR intake tube, 87 octaine tune by MO. Bilstein HD shocks, Mecto Rear control arms w/ watts link, Addco custom order 1.5 inch front sway bar (38mm), 1.25 inch rear bar 31.75mm (only 11 made).

The 10sp A/T seems like it was 1/2 way completed in development at someone said "throw in in production vehicles now".

The O/D is nice, the mpg it gives is nice - just a shame it was hal fas sed engineered...
    Gotcha. I went to the Gear Vendor site, but didn't see any for our application. Did I miss something, or are they not making them anymore?

MOD HISTORY:
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    -Widened rims

You must be talking about the 1/2 that Chevy engineered...
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information