Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rod Knock

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    This is the worst advice in the history of this forum.
    Please stop posting, because some may actually believe you.
    I'm gonna play devils advocate here...

The 4V heads won't kiss the pistons, the blocks accept the heads, and all the timing stuff can be transferred.

Why exactly is this bad advice, in your expert opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyFords View Post
    I'm gonna play devils advocate here...

The 4V heads won't kiss the pistons, the blocks accept the heads, and all the timing stuff can be transferred.

Why exactly is this bad advice, in your expert opinion?
    Lower compression, heavier block, have to deal with converting the timing chain setup over for the DOHC heads, I'm sure I can nit pick at other random BS stuff. It's a lot of work at an attempt to save money and end up with an even worse performing car.

You know what I did when I had a marauder that needed an engine? 1800 dollars shipped to my door, complete aviator engine. I converted it to a marauder engine in a day by stripping it down to a bare longblock. Dropped it in the car, turned key, fired to life. That was almost 50,000 miles ago now.

I also sold off the set of 4 thread heads I had from the blown marauder engine for 500 bucks back in my pocket. Pretty sure I also sold the valve covers off for a couple bucks as well.

Whoever is doing crown vic engine conversions is being a MAJOR cheap ass, a friend of mine just bought a full marauder engine that needs timing chain guides for 200 bucks!
    Last edited by offroadkarter; 06-05-2019 at 09:38 PM.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    Would a spun rod bearing show really high oil pressure?
    Yes
    oil pressure readings are not effected with rod bearings, Mains and cam bearings will effect oil pressure readings.
    Last edited by hotford; 06-06-2019 at 02:13 AM.
    • 82 GT coyote swap started
    • 03 300a Marauder, stroked,cammed,T/S Trilogy Supercharged # 216,Best Et 10.77@129.72 on slicks, 93 pump gas. driven to the track.
    • 2011 GT 500, 3.4 whipple,93 pump gas,10.47@133,Driven to the track.
    • 2003 azura blue Mach 1, cobra motor,2.9 Whipple,crusher inlet,built 4r70w trans,04 IRS rear.full weight street car, Corn Fed

The problem is now a days most of the Lincoln aviators are complete garbage that salvage yards are selling. and they've been ran hard as hell I wouldn't put another dime on one. I got burn three times. and the three people that had Marauders got tired of wasting their money on that BS so the Crown Vic Blocks made perfect sense. and there's not a whole lot to change the same timing set up will fit either so what's the big deal? And it's not like the Mercury Marauder is an expense is $60,000 muscle car. the car is have gotten old people aren't shelling out thousands of dollars on these things any more. The big problem with this form is a lot of people don't want to accept a new idea or something different. Why because it doesn't fit to what they think it should be. well I'll tell you what. you be the one the flip the $$$ for high-compression engine build the next time a fella Marauder persons engine breaks down. Then you can call the shots. The three people that own Marauders I didn't charge them any labor. I help out a fellow Marauder owner. all they had to do was get the Crown Vic Block in the head gasket set. instead of criticizing you should do like a few other people did on this form and say hey if it works it works. gets the car up and going. some people have kids and family some people buy these cars used when they break down after paying $7,000 for the car they don't feel like having to Shell out another three or four thousand. So the Crown Vic short blocks a cheap option that's available and the info is out there now. I mean let's be realistic it's not that dramatic of a horsepower loss people. Lol it's not like the marauder engine produces 460 horsepower! it's not the Coyote engine, so calm down a little bit let's not get all emotional here. What!!!? a Crown Vic short block and a Marauder that's blasphemy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Themarauderguy View Post
    The problem is now a days most of the Lincoln aviators are complete garbage that salvage yards are selling. and they've been ran hard as hell I wouldn't put another dime on one. I got burn three times. and the three people that had Marauders got tired of wasting their money on that BS so the Crown Vic Blocks made perfect sense. and there's not a whole lot to change the same timing set up will fit either so what's the big deal? And it's not like the Mercury Marauder is an expense is $60,000 muscle car. the car is have gotten old people aren't shelling out thousands of dollars on these things any more. The big problem with this form is a lot of people don't want to accept a new idea or something different. Why because it doesn't fit to what they think it should be. well I'll tell you what. you be the one the flip the $$$ for high-compression engine build the next time a fella Marauder persons engine breaks down. Then you can call the shots. The three people that own Marauders I didn't charge them any labor. I help out a fellow Marauder owner. all they had to do was get the Crown Vic Block in the head gasket set. instead of criticizing you should do like a few other people did on this form and say hey if it works it works. gets the car up and going. some people have kids and family some people buy these cars used when they break down after paying $7,000 for the car they don't feel like having to Shell out another three or four thousand. So the Crown Vic short blocks a cheap option that's available and the info is out there now. I mean let's be realistic it's not that dramatic of a horsepower loss people. Lol it's not like the marauder engine produces 460 horsepower! it's not the Coyote engine, so calm down a little bit let's not get all emotional here. What!!!? a Crown Vic short block and a Marauder that's blasphemy!!!!
    Quoted for truth!

Crickets.............

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Crickets.............
    I know, right?

My lame stock crown vic bottom end in the twin turbo car car has me satisfied enough, I'm in no hurry to fix the hurt "built" cant stand that word.. engine
    11psi will have a time slip soon 😁.. now with that being said, wouldn't be any fun with low compression in na form
    04 twin turbo Marauder custom made by myself 😁
    3800stall freddy Brown 4stbe trans 31 spline rear
    601rwhp 592rwtq @19psi

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Crickets.............
    are you looking for someone to start a pissing match or something?

I've got my opinions, he stated his in a semi coherent long paragraph.

Welcome to the internet, land of disagreements. I'm not going to burn his house down over it.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Here is my take on this:
    Crown Vic Block is Iron, Marauder Block is Aluminium.

Crown Vic had 9:1 Compression with 42cc heads (PI), the DOHC heads for 2003 are 52cc's I think, so your compression will drop unless you find a NPI motor. The NPI engines had 9:1 compression with 52cc heads. That's why you get a compression bump when you do a PI swap on a NPI motor.

Aside from the questionable performance, lets look at something else you may not have looked into. Lets say you get a used 4.6 2v engine for $600. You don't really know what condition the engine is in. your going from an known (your current engine) to an unknown (the used motor) you still have to swap the heads over. Head bolts are one time use. ADTR sells a DOHC head changing kit for $118. Since the front cover is off it is a really good Idea to go ahead and change the Timing chain, guides and so on. ADTR sells a kit for $519.

So your into the Temp Fix for a bit $1200. This is not including little odds and ends that we all know add up quickly. So you spend $1200 on a Temp fix which is total unknown. you know nothing of the condition of the Bottom end, the maintenance history of this junkyard motor, so on. you do this, install it, it works for a little bit, then fails. Now what? Your dumping more money into it.

OR, if it is a bad rod, buy a new set of rods or replace just the bad rod (Rock auto Marauder replacement rods $35.79), send the crank out to get inspected install everything, Do the timing change stuff and be out the cost of the 2v engine you were going to buy.

I find it funny that people don't have the money to do it right the first time but have the money to fix it when it breaks.

Do it once, do it right,
    2003 Mercury Marauder- Stock with 223k miles.

2000 Crown Victoria P73. Deep Wedge Wood Blue.
    SW longtube headers and high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers, 3.55 gears w/track lock, 70mm Aviator TB, PnP factory plenum, ADTR intake tube, 87 octaine tune by MO. Bilstein HD shocks, Mecto Rear control arms w/ watts link, Addco custom order 1.5 inch front sway bar (38mm), 1.25 inch rear bar 31.75mm (only 11 made).

Or, get a low mile 06-09 4.6 3V motor and do the swap. You get the aluminum block, a 9.8:1 compression ratio and reuse your timing gears and chains. It it ain't broke, reuse it.
    The OP said he has little funds, so let's put together something that gets him on the road now.

Not everyone has pfluck-you money laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondfreak13 View Post
    Here is my take on this:
    Crown Vic Block is Iron, Marauder Block is Aluminium.

Crown Vic had 9:1 Compression with 42cc heads (PI), the DOHC heads for 2003 are 52cc's I think, so your compression will drop unless you find a NPI motor. The NPI engines had 9:1 compression with 52cc heads. That's why you get a compression bump when you do a PI swap on a NPI motor.

Aside from the questionable performance, lets look at something else you may not have looked into. Lets say you get a used 4.6 2v engine for $600. You don't really know what condition the engine is in. your going from an known (your current engine) to an unknown (the used motor) you still have to swap the heads over. Head bolts are one time use. ADTR sells a DOHC head changing kit for $118. Since the front cover is off it is a really good Idea to go ahead and change the Timing chain, guides and so on. ADTR sells a kit for $519.

So your into the Temp Fix for a bit $1200. This is not including little odds and ends that we all know add up quickly. So you spend $1200 on a Temp fix which is total unknown. you know nothing of the condition of the Bottom end, the maintenance history of this junkyard motor, so on. you do this, install it, it works for a little bit, then fails. Now what? Your dumping more money into it.

OR, if it is a bad rod, buy a new set of rods or replace just the bad rod (Rock auto Marauder replacement rods $35.79), send the crank out to get inspected install everything, Do the timing change stuff and be out the cost of the 2v engine you were going to buy.

I find it funny that people don't have the money to do it right the first time but have the money to fix it when it breaks.

Do it once, do it right,

LIKE button...... I am smashing the crap out of it.....
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Or, get a low mile 06-09 4.6 3V motor and do the swap. You get the aluminum block, a 9.8:1 compression ratio and reuse your timing gears and chains. It it ain't broke, reuse it.
    The OP said he has little funds, so let's put together something that gets him on the road now.

I know a guy who did just this on a Trilogy car. His was a zero mile 3V, still on the crate, he got it for a song, cause who want a 3v right?

Car makes over 400 to the wheel, and it still driving, i.e. beaten on today....

The end............
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

3v motor would be a better option, the 3v heads have a 50cc combustion chamber, I believe, so it would be a better fit. I have seen used short blocks go for around $500+

But you still run into the Known vs unknown, and if your buying a junk yard short block you would be rolling the dice if you just installed it blindly. If you take the salvage engine and inspect everything, you just did the same thing you were going to do with the current engine + the cost of the of the recently acquired short block. A reman short block would fair better but, cost more.

If you want "something that gets him on the road now" buy a new set of rods or replace just the bad rod (Rock auto Marauder replacement rod $35.79), send the crank out to get inspected / machined install everything. If you believe the timing kit to in good shape then reuse it and save the $500. You still have to get head changing kit, head bolts are one time use, and it's always good to change out used gaskets. Also since the heads are off make sure you don't have the valve seat issue. I know it was found to have a loose rod, but a little extra insurance never hurt.

Buying a new rod, and machining the crank, would still cost less than buying a new short block, unless you know the history of said short block If the crank can't be saved, this slightly changes the game and leaves you at a cross roads.
    Last edited by Bondfreak13; 06-08-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    2003 Mercury Marauder- Stock with 223k miles.

2000 Crown Victoria P73. Deep Wedge Wood Blue.
    SW longtube headers and high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers, 3.55 gears w/track lock, 70mm Aviator TB, PnP factory plenum, ADTR intake tube, 87 octaine tune by MO. Bilstein HD shocks, Mecto Rear control arms w/ watts link, Addco custom order 1.5 inch front sway bar (38mm), 1.25 inch rear bar 31.75mm (only 11 made).

It might cost less in your neck of the woods. not in mine they charge $500 to grind the crank! And the only way they warranty the work is if they install the rod bearings and rods or Rod whichever one is bad and they charge 800 for that. So 1300. Vs 500. It's kind of a no-brainer. the two cars I did were Eaton swapped. The third one was n/a I use the non Pi block. Yes the 3 valve 4.6 are nice. But they're hard to find in my part of the country. One thing about this thread a whole lot of useful information got put out. and now everybody knows there's a cheap alternative to spending three and four grand on a Marauder engine. if they ever happened to blow their stock one.����

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information