Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P1233 MM broke down 100 miles from home

when it shuts down does the pats light blink rapidly?
    2003 Mercury Marauder Black
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    1974 HD Shovelhead
    1998 Chevy K1500

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn-ho View Post
    when it shuts down does the pats light blink rapidly?
    it did not seem to affect the PATS light, but here is what was so weird:

blue high beam indicator came on, turn signal arrow came on solid ---meanwhile the lights were not on and the turn signal was not on. Meanwhile the HVAC fan shut off as did the EATC . like it was turned off all of a sudden. Turn the key off then on, and activate the EATC on max air and it would indicate temp, fan speed would blast normally...of course with no engine running the air was not cold.

Weird buzzing/clicking humming from the Blower speed control module. Funny thing, without the engine started the BSCM (brand new ) works just fine.

ABS light came on.

Posting all this for future Marauder owners as they search for symptoms.

Did you receive the rebuilt pcm yet?
    Fix it or??
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Just arrived! Install is tomorrow.....

Hmmm ...got the PCM back from the "rebuilder" they painted the case a blotchy fisheye black with a spray can....battery has been disconnected for days....plugged PCM in, turned the key...and NOTHING. No crank no start. PATS light is off....no flash, no steady red light no blinking...nothing. $400 bucks worth. I'm getting a refund, not messing around with those guys, no I'm not sending it back to them. They had it for 2 weeks.

Onto plan B !!!!

Update#2 --I powered down, 30 mins ---- then swapped in used Marauder PCM "CDH0" which had no key. No PATS light, no crank no start. I think a working PCM should have at least flashed the PATS light normally then gone to steady light or rapid blink once I stuck the "non matching" - my original key ---- in with the wrong transistor. So, I need to go back and check all fuses and relays.

If the steering column transponder was bad, why did car used to start just fine but had all the issuses?Unless it has just now gone bad..unlikely.

Original PCM - might have PATS messed up from the "rebuilder" or blown fuse/relay.
    CDH0 PCM from ebay might not be working. Or needs a key coded. But Decipha is of the belief that all keys work on 2003 PCM's - he's seen a few PCM/Marauders so I don't doubt him. Is my early MM ~# 300 build number a different one where the key codes matter, and not a generic signal to the PATS? Maybe there was trouble during the run so they made all 2003's after 300#.... generic code.

Still to try after all fuses are checked----rebuilt PCM, then if no PATS light, CDH0 PCM, then PCM with matching key. Means swapping lock cylinders.

THIS CAR WILL RUN JUST FINE ALL PROBLEMS CAN BE SOLVED, JUST TAKING A WHILE!....Cursed car, living up to its bad reputation.....

Do you not have a dealer around that could at least diagnose it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Sorry to hear. I had a wiring problem and it took me a month to find it. Caused my mm to just shut down whenever it wanted. Pats light would flash rapidly when it shut down. Was a nick in a wire near a factory splice. Caused it to corrode. After I repaired the wire it ran great . Only problem was only one key out of the three that were programmed would work now. My new generation star tester could not program any other key. I bought a used PCM here. Had a guy that does mobile air bag diagnostics for the Auto Body shops in my area come to my house and pull all the information out of my BMDO pcm and swap it into the used PCM. Might call around to auto body shops in your area to see if they know of a mobile diagnostic guy, The guy I used was able to pull right from ford and flashed it. I paid $125.00 was well worth it.
    1974 HD Shovelhead
    1998 Chevy K1500

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn-ho View Post
    Sorry to hear. I had a wiring problem and it took me a month to find it. Caused my mm to just shut down whenever it wanted. Pats light would flash rapidly when it shut down. Was a nick in a wire near a factory splice. Caused it to corrode. After I repaired the wire it ran great . Only problem was only one key out of the three that were programmed would work now. My new generation star tester could not program any other key. I bought a used PCM here. Had a guy that does mobile air bag diagnostics for the Auto Body shops in my area come to my house and pull all the information out of my BMDO pcm and swap it into the used PCM. Might call around to auto body shops in your area to see if they know of a mobile diagnostic guy, The guy I used was able to pull right from ford and flashed it. I paid $125.00 was well worth it.
    interesting, so the fixed splice didn't fix everything. There's a Ford dealer about 10 miles away, I like the parts dept, but the service department has been a mixed bag. When they looked at my 2010 Milan tailights (LED issue) they didn't put the cover bolts back on, and left a greasy shop rag down in the trunk drop off. When they replaced my 2006 MGM steering coupler, the tech replaced my nice dipstick with a dirty bent up one, with a broken off pull handle.
    The other Ford dealer shop about 15 miles away could not align my lowered MM recently, made me wait 3 hrs, charged me $90 bucks then left the rack mounting bolt loose which caused it to fail PA inspection initially.

So, I'm a little leery of the Ford stores around here. I'd have to have it towed to a dealer and that'd be $100 bucks...I'll exercise that option but not before I do some more digging. Might come down to that. Good idea about the mobile diagnostics guy, I wonder what he can do if there's no codes...the car doesn't start?

can make any mm pcm work in your car. he can remove the information stored in your pcm and transfer it to another so all your keys and fobs work. and flash it with newest update.
    1974 HD Shovelhead
    1998 Chevy K1500

Have you checked your battery and charging system? My explorer started acting funny while driving a short while back. Started out as just an periodic abs light then turned into erratic speedo and finally ignition shutting off while driving intermittently. Charged fine but in my research of similar issues I found numerous other ford trucks having similar issues with batteries having a bad cell. My problem only occurred when the battery was exposed to real high under hood temps and high ambient temps outside. I had another battery so I threw it in the x and t hasn’t misbehaved in over 3 weeks now. Stupid Interstate battery.

Yes, new battery, NEW: not rebuilt Delco Alternator, NEW starter/alt/wiring harness. I hear you about Interstate --my BIL bought one, went dead in a month. Shame that used to be a good battery, now all mine are Motorcraft in the MGM and MM.

like decifa said I would check ignition switch at the very least for a burnt melted connector. very easy to rule it out. not the ignition cylinder the switch.
    1974 HD Shovelhead
    1998 Chevy K1500

Yeah that's a good idea and not hard to do...would be getting a good look at it anyway for one of my tests --new PCM , new ignition cylinder...

update :

swapped in new ignition switch, repaired an iffy splice from some aftermarket alarm on the red/blu stripe wire...

charged battery 13.2V

checked interior fuse 8 ="PCM", swapped out PCM relay under hood and the PCM diode 105.

got PATS flashing every 3 secs! OK, so hit the key--- nothing. Clipped on remote starter to starter terminals, car cranked then fired. Idled well, then CEL came on, began to run rough. Then stalled, would not restart. no codes set on code reader ACTRON, on the newer reader: "no communication with PCM" but no four digit code.

QUESTION: anyone have a pic of the two wires underneath the ABS module? BLK/YEL and BLK ...bolted to a metal triangle under the ABS module on the plastic fender liner. Just want to make sure those are OK.

I'm rechecking all grounds and all visible parts of the harness before I try my newly purchased---2003 PCM from JY with matched key. The one I haven't tried yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information