Thread: A/C Leaking Freon

A/C Leaking Freon

I notice this spring that my A/C was not blowing cold air and the compressor was short cycling. So I took it to a shop and they recharged the system with freon and added some dye. About 3 weeks later I took it back so they could try and locate the leak. They are saying it could be coming from the condenser. So they recharged it again, added more dye and I'll bring it back so they can confirm where the leak is. It it possible it the condenser? Are there any other common areas where freon could leak?

It’s possible, but the most common area is the accumulator/dryer. It tends to rust because it’s steel and condensation forms on it and trapped by the foam covering.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Thanks for the info.

X2 the accumulator....I pulled 30" vacuum for 20 mins, charged up my AC 3 cans, then checked for leaks, under that foam cover was where the detector went off. 2 days later= warm again. So I changed the accumulator, added some PAG oil, recharged it 40 oz = 3 1/2 cans, according to the service manual pressures were : 25 psi discharge, 150 psi high side at 70F...and so far, blowing very cold.Got complaints over the weekend from passengers! intake vent using kitchen thermometer read 48-50F....probably at the lowest fan speed shoot for around 45 F. No leaks at my compressor but after 16 years, maybe it is not compressing the same as on day one.

But my pressures were within factory specs. R-12 was better, there I said it.

I just thought I'd add this to my post. In mid-February, I had my car towed because it would start. The tow truck drive showed up with a hook type truck, raised the rear wheels way up and when he pulled away, the underside of the front bumper scrapped my driveway. Not sure if this could have caused damage to the condenser. I filed a claim but it was denied because there was no proof.

Just replaced my accumulator yesterday as it was all rusted and leaking as well. Added 3oz of PAG46, took it to a shop and had it vacuum tested then filled with 40oz of Freon. Blows cold now!

The Schrader valves are also a common leak point. If you discharge the system for any repair, before vacuuming, I would spend the few dollars to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    I just thought I'd add this to my post. In mid-February, I had my car towed because it would start. The tow truck drive showed up with a hook type truck, raised the rear wheels way up and when he pulled away, the underside of the front bumper scrapped my driveway. Not sure if this could have caused damage to the condenser. I filed a claim but it was denied because there was no proof.
    It's possible but I don't think towing damaged the receiver dryer since it's tucked up under the lowest point of the radiator.

If you are going to open up the system again I'd replace all the o-rings, replace the orifice tube, add oil as needed, pull vacuum, then recharge.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Ive seen the welds on the evap crack and leak as well. Best way to find the leak is with a digital refrigerant sniffer.

I had a bad compressor. Replaced that and canister with kit. Comes with new tubes and o rings. 9 months later it broke again. Refunded $$ under 2 year part warranty. Purchased a new one on eBay for $50 less no tax. Still had to pay labor again. Working good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has been working just fine, however, I read a recent post here about the compressor clutches and how they sometimes don't engage due to wear.

Thread Information