Hey guys, I drive my MM only a few days a month now, so haven’t checked in for a long time (as usual, sorry!). I still have a lot of small jobs to get done on it and need to get off my butt and just do it, but generally it’s running pretty well.

Great to save gas at $4.20 gal, but also not good as problems can sneak up on you from it sitting.

Anyway, I think my car needs a new throttle position sensor, or whatever Ford calls it. I replaced one 6 months ago on a Hyundai that was doing exactly what my MM is doing now.

That is, driving cold only (with cruise control on for consistency, to take my foot out of the equation), while watching the ScanGauge report RPM about once every 2 seconds: 1750 - 1980 - 1875 - 1700 - 1810 - 1865 - 2000 - 1790, etc., etc. You can feel the car surging and falling off slightly each time. Jump on the freeway and take it to a consistent 2500 RPM for a few miles, and problem goes away, but as soon as you come to a full stop the engine can just die. Starts right away, dies again. After you coax it for a while it seems to run fine and idles OK without dying.

All this is intermittent. Oh, and while the RPM is surging, the MPG stops calculating, shows 9999 mpg while it’s trying to figure out what the engine is doing.

If there is such a sensor for our cars, please let me know and if you know where to find it on the engine. I searched RockAuto and don’t see a part with this specific name. “Speed sensor” maybe?

Thanks for any info!

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk