Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over heating only with AC on

Over heating only with AC on

2005 lx sport.

Car will overheat while on park or even when driving on highway with ac on. 180 degrees thermostat and tuned by marty. Once the ac is off, temp will drop down to 190-195f. Now this is in 90 degrees weather and higher. With ac on, temp will rise to 220 and thats when i will shut ac off. Ive hosed down the radiator fins and condensor twice. Removed thermostat and tested in boiling water and its good. Fan is working as it should. Ac on, fan speed goes up. What am i looking for here?
    I should also say that this started happening after my small engine build. I added edelbrock intake manifold, comp cam stage 2 with valve springs and rebuilt heads from modularheadspeedshop. 10.5"converter and some other small goodies. I do have a stewart water pump which was working great on my stock motor. Stainless works long tubes with 2.5" exhaust.

So why after this build im getting overheating issues with ac on.

I wish I could help but the problem as you state it certainly does not make much sense. I know you already knew that otherwise would not be asking. Possibly, the facts as you state them are not like you think they are. Maybe the fan is not running when you think it is.
    i just went through a similar overheating situation with my 07 CV. Turned out both electrical connectors (before and after fan control module, not sure if you have this module on an 05, maybe not but you must have some electrical connectors) were defective. If you have an intermittent connection on one of these pigtail connectors, you will overheat rather quickly. They are easy to replace but fan current draw is high so you must insure a strong butt connection. Ideally a soldered connection which can be a pita due to the location. Just some food for thought.

Blog Entries
    Are you sure 220* is "Hot"? Do you have the OEM Fan and shrouding? Do you have the OEM front air dam?
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Garden hose won't touch the fur stuck in the condenser. Try using a pressure washer
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    Garden hose won't touch the fur stuck in the condenser. Try using a pressure washer
    Agreed. Separate the radiator from the condenser and and get a real look..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I have a question though, why would this issue just happen after the new engine install? Can cams and new heads do such a difference in heat? I also have a cowl hood from classglass which should with air circulation.

Oem fan and shrouding are still there. I have notice that the fins on the condensor are pretty shot. The bottom portion is are pretty much closed in certain spots. But once again, this issue just started after new engine installed. I will take a closer look at all this. Is there a way to check the fan with a voltmeter?

Warmer weather and bad timing? I assume there’s no air trapped hence why I didn’t bother with the go to “burp it”.

But only a stuck thermostat, small head gasket leak, clogged cooling passages, plugged up radiator, and an air trap can cause what you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Brand new oem 180 stat. I removed it before yesturday, brought it home and put it in a pot with boiling water and the state open. I waited for water to boil at 170 and up slowly.

If i have the system flushed, will it help elimate air traps?

no flushing will not help with trapped air and can actually cause more

usually trapped air causes the temp gauge to keep climbing up and then temp drops quickly while moving or revving the engine (after the thermo opens)

220 is perfectly fine nothing to worry about. If it gets over 230 then that should be of concern. But most likely your radiator is blocked off down low as it pretty common. Remove the condenser and clean it out and it should be better. Yea those modifications especially the converter can cause the cooling system to work harder which is common.

Plugs and gap?

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    Plugs and gap?
    Ngk tr6 gapped at .45 as per martys recommandations.

By the way, i have steeda ud pulleys installed. Crank and water pump only. Alternator pulley left stock. Once again, these were installed in my last stock motor and ran no issues. Park rpm bumped to 1000 and drive to 800 due to loud stereo.

Blog Entries
    "The bottom portion is are pretty much closed in certain spots." - No air flow no remove heat.

Do you have the OEM front air dam?
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

I experienced a weird situation with my '05 Mustang GT not long ago. In the middle of a 125 mile trip on what was the hottest day of the year (at the time - mid 90s) I stopped for fuel. Upon restart, I noticed the a/c had stopped working and the a/c clutch had an irregular cycle, with the motor nearly shutting off whenever the clutch engaged. With my 'damn the torpedoes' attitude, I began driving anyway as the a/c began working correctly and the gauges didn't show anything abnormal. Drove another 50 miles normally, stopped to have the car hand washed.

Upon departure, I noticed the a/c was misbehaving again but decided to continue. A few blocks later, the 'engine overheat warning' illuminated and I immediately pulled into the nearby parking lot with coolant exiting the overflow tank. Phoned AAA and had Mustang transported to a local shop I was familiar with. Conclusion? New OEM fan assembly installed with Mustang operating correctly ever since.

McGard security nuts installed recently with the rear bumper being repainted in the next few weeks due to clear coat separation. Mustang going into the shop next week to determine why the power driver's seat assembly blows its fuse randomly.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    "The bottom portion is are pretty much closed in certain spots." - No air flow no remove heat.

Do you have the OEM front air dam?
    I do have the oem front air damn. Its still in pretty good shape to.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information