Thread: power door lock malfunction and hvac issue

power door lock malfunction and hvac issue

So I have a couple of issues 1 my Drivers door lock switch started falling apart and had to put in a new one. Once the new switch was in I can now only lock and unlock my doors when the car is off. If the doors are locked and I start the car the doors will unlock and not re-lock with the switch. Issue number 2 is the hvac control has a mind of its own and will turn when ever it wants and then start right back up if you try to turn it off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There was a changeover in switch config depending upon your build date if you have a 2003...

this is good to know

I have the exact same problem with the lock/unlock switch but what i found odd is that with the key off and out of ignition if i hold the button down for a while all the accessories will power on (radio ac etc...)

my car throws a code for ground circuit shorted

I have an 05 grand marquis switch i swapped in mine a long time ago. I guess I'll be ripping it out here shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    this is good to know

I have the exact same problem with the lock/unlock switch but what i found odd is that with the key off and out of ignition if i hold the button down for a while all the accessories will power on (radio ac etc...)

my car throws a code for ground circuit shorted

I have an 05 grand marquis switch i swapped in mine a long time ago. I guess I'll be ripping it out here shortly.
    Mine would cause the interior lights to come on, and if everything was on it would blow a fuse. I found out they changed the pin out on the pig tail and IIRC when you have the wrong switch and go to lock or unlock while using the switch, it feeds voltage out the illumination circuit.

That was a fun one to figure out.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

yes it did that too but if you held it down long enough ~10 sec it would cause the accessories to come on

After posting that last post I went out and did some testing on that switch. First I unplugged it and and both of my codes went away. They were
    b1352 ign key in circuit fault - in the lighting control module
    b1397 pwr door unlock circuit battery short in the driver door module

With the driver button unplugged the passenger door button works normal again. With the passenger button unplugged the driver door button works normal again too.
    The passenger door button switch wont lock with the driver door switch plugged in.

I did some testing on the driver switch to see if I could re-pin the wires to make it work correctly. For reference here are the pins if anyone needs it.

original wiring
    pin 2 pink/yellow - lock trigger wire
    pin 3 black wire - ground
    pin 4 green/yellow - main 12v door module power wire
    pin 5 white/purple - illumination wire - Mine got power with the accessory 12v power wire (power when ignition switch it on)
    pin 6 pink/green - unlock trigger wire
    ----

Just from testing this is what I figured out.

The black, white, and pink/yellow wires need to all come together (be shorted) for the unlock to work and not turn on the accessories when the pink/green and yellow/green wires are touched together (momentary unlock switch)

The lock control is simple enough. Simply touch the pink/yellow and green/yellow wires together to lock.

Something worth noting, there is two possible ways to unlock, either resulting in the accessories being turned on.
    The green/yellow and white/purple touched together will unlock but turns on the accessories.
    The green/yellow and pink/green touched together will unlock as well and also turns on the accessories.
    Yet, The white/purple and pink/yellow touched together doesn't unlock but turns on the accessories only when the green/yellow and pink/green are touched together.

The black to pink/yellow stops passenger lock button from working.
    The white/purple to pink/yellow turns the accessories on when the passenger lock button is pressed but doesn't lock.
    The white to pink/green turns the accessories on when the passenger unlock button is pressed and unlocks doors.
    And black to pink/green did nothing.

And for the not to do.
    The black and white touching with key on will kill the fuse.
    The Black and green/yellow together shorts as well.

And here is the switch functioning.
    button state - NONE (neither lock nor unlock button pressed)
    5 and 6 are common, unlock breaks it, lock keeps it common
    2 and 3 are common, lock breaks it, unlock keeps it common

button state - LOCK button being pressed
    4 and 2 together on lock
    breaks 2 and 3
    5 and 6 still common

UNLOCK button pressed
    4 and 6 together on unlock
    breaks 5 and 6
    2 and 3 still common

--------------------------------

For reference I have an early 2003 marauder.

<edit>

I did all the above with the passenger switch still hooked up. After thinking about it for a bit I though maybe that might be suspect and sure enough it was.

I remove both the driver door switch and the passenger door switch and did some testing, sure enough its pretty simple.

I tested both my switches and they both functioned exactly the same. I did find that pin 4 and 6 switch on the unlock which was the missing connection I needed.
    With both switches removed the wiring became very simple.

pin 2 is the lock trigger wire
    pin 4 is the main 12v power feed
    pin 6 is the unlock trigger wire

the white/purple wire is the accessory wire and the black wire is a ground. Thinking about it those are obviously for the illumination. I moved them to pins 1 and 8 respectively since they were causing my issues and I don't need them. Pins 1 and 8 are empty slots on the harness.

Any who, after 2-1/2 years my door switches work correctly now. Its obvious I have a wiring problem somewhere else.
    Last edited by decipha; 07-24-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks for the info guys I will try the wire swap this weekend and if that doesn't work find an02 and older ford for a new switch

Quote Originally Posted by maraudernorth View Post
    Thanks for the info guys I will try the wire swap this weekend and if that doesn't work find an02 and older ford for a new switch
    2002 and older panthers have an entirely different switch assembly. The early marauders used a switch til I want to say march of 2003 but I do not remember the exact date.

I don't have my car w/ me or I'd just go out and get a pic of the switch.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Oh ok thanks. Could I not get one from say a mustang or explorer or something it looks like a pretty parts bin part unless maybe the wiring is different for the lock switches in different vehicles?

According to Napa's Buyer guide yes you can use one from a 04-08 F150 or Expedition. Note Napa does have a choice of 2 different "brands" for it.

Thread Information