Thread: Temperature Gauge - How acurate? When to be concerned? Car got hot, I'm paranoid.

Temperature Gauge - How acurate? When to be concerned? Car got hot, I'm paranoid.

2003 Marauder with a K&N intake and a tune from Marty. Car usually runs with the temp gauge just below middle. Recently moved to Denver and we had some 100F weather and I got stuck in some slow traffic. Gauge went to approx 3/4 to 7/8 of normal temp (not into the red). I turned off the AC and once the car got moving again it cooled back down. I had a look at the rad today and it was full of dust/fur/bugs. I pulled the fan and I hosed out the rad from the backside and I can't believe the amount of stuff that came out. Condenser and transmission cooler looked fine. Weather is cooler today so I didn't get to really test it out but I'm sure it's moving more air than it was.

How badly did it overheat if it didn't go into the red? I drove it today and it seemed fine but I'm being paranoid I did some damage or did I get lucky....
    2003 Marauder - K&N Intake, Tune from Marty, 105K

You got lucky since you caught it soon enough. Might try removing the site shield above the core support and PRESSURE WASHING between the condenser and radiator, be careful not to bend fins.
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

isn't the boiling point higher in Denver?
    BUCKWHEAT 03 MM 300A-August, '02 mfgr, black w/ blue metallic clearcoat, 94,000 miles, Texid stroker 5.0, #15 Kool-Aide w/ SnakeBite porting, Venom cooling, and upgraded to M122, 3873 of 7839

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    You got lucky since you caught it soon enough. Might try removing the site shield above the core support and PRESSURE WASHING between the condenser and radiator, be careful not to bend fins.
    Yes, I had the heat shield off and the radiator loose with the condenser unbolted to get the best access I could. The hose with a sprayer attached did a great job. I’m afraid a pressure washer would bend the fins.

Was it just hot or did it overheat? Didn’t hit the red, stayed under the upper normal area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it’s running right today then you are fine. The procedure you took to clean the rad is 100% the correct way to do so and should be considered a part of normal maintenance every few years dependent upon the conditions where you live so kudos to you. It amazes me the amount of laziness normally associated with cleaning out the debris and whining how it still runs hot..

Neighbors by me have cottonwood trees so I’ll have literally a one inch thick blanket between the rad and condenser every five years or so..

Because of this my car did exactly what yours did (maybe a tad hotter yet) when it was probably four years old and survived just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

You NEED a ScanGauge! >>>

=
    https://www.scangauge.com/
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKWHEAT View Post
    isn't the boiling point higher in Denver?
    NO.....BP is LOWER above sea level under atmospheric conditions but the system is pressurized so it doesn't really know it's in Denver!!
    No Marauder

yea under pressure the boiling point raises (i.e. pressure cooker) and with glycol coolant the boiling point is raised yet again.

In my experiences all the way in the red is about 240 degrees which is fine. You don't have issues until you get up over 250+ degrees.

I have overheat protection in my tune. If it gets up over 240 degrees the engine shuts off. Last year my radiator fan went out. If it wasn't for that I probably would have lost my engine.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've put enough miles on it I think I'm ok. Had me worried. Will definitely keep and eye on the amount of build up on radiator from now on.

Thread Information