Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5th Annual New Hampshire Meet 2014~By The Day

5th Annual New Hampshire Meet 2014~By The Day

Our 5th Annual New Hampshire Meet is now just a memory...but what a good one! It almost didn't happen at all this year when we learned that NHMS cancelled their Classic & Custom Car Show which we always attended. Fortunately the group was willing to go anyway and try something new, so when nhmuscle suggested the big 41st Show & Shine Car Show at the Budweiser Brewery in Merrimack, we went with it. Then RacerX & Tracy, who are from the area, offered to help with the idea of taking a dinner cruise on Lake Winnipesaukee. It was a great plan and Mr. Man ran with it. Of course, as SergntMac put it, the best part of doing a meet at all is spending time with people you really enjoy. We couldn't agree more....we really enjoyed spending time with everyone! (A few could not make it this time and all of you were missed very much! We hope to get you back for next years meet!)

Final List Of Those Who Attended (updated on 7/5/14)

1. RacerX & Tracy
    2. DWSTANG67
    3. NavySeabee
    4. Marauder Jim
    5. MM03MOK & SergntMac
    6. vtwoodsman & Marianne
    7. Stogie Bear & Christine
    8. Mr. Man & Ms. Denmark
    9. Cobra Kid
    10.Shermanator
    11.Blown3.8 & Stephanie & daughter
    12.RFOverlord
    13.nhmuscle
    14.Gray Ghost & Susan

We Were So Glad To See You All In New Hampshire!
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Thursday

7/31 Thursday

Our host hotel for the third year was once again The Hampton Inn, Concord/Bow. Eric and I had checked in Tuesday afternoon and the staff greeted us and remembered our group from previous years. Although the general manager I always dealt with, Jim, had retired a couple weeks ago we were very pleased with his replacement, Sherri. She would love for us to come back again next year. We shall see....

The weather on Thursday was nice. IIRC Marauder Jim was the first to arrive in his DBP. He realized that the hotel staff had put our reserved parking cones in the wrong spot and took care of straightening it out before other cars started to arrive. Eventually DWStang67, MMO3MOK & SergntMac, and Stogie Bear & Christine showed up and we headed off to dinner at The Barley House in downtown Concord, across from the State Capitol. Since parking downtown was tight, Mr. Man and Bunny each drove a car and chauffeured the rest of us. We got seated and were enjoying a glass of wine, beer or HUGE bottle of beer, and whatever it was that the hapless waiter made the mistake of serving to Mac in a martini glass and were just relaxing when vtwoodsman & Marianne popped in. Dang if we hadn't just given away the seats at the empty table next to us! They got themselves a booth nearby. It was really nice to be together again, with all these good friends, in New Hampshire.

After dinner, while Eric and Mary were getting the cars, our three retired Lawmen spent their time staring at the roof of the building across the street. That's because Christine seemed to think that there might be a person standing on the roof. Was he planning to jump? Stogie Bear proclaimed it was an owl. I personally think it was a pipe, but in any case, fortunately it stayed put. Note: Remember the name "Christine"....more about her later. We got back to the hotel pretty late and most went off to bed leaving me, Mr. Man, Marauder Jim and DWStang67 to drink a couple beers (or cups of tea), eat a few cookies and BS until we ran out of steam. Tomorrow would come early and it will be packed with activity...but I won't be able to participate.
    Last edited by Ms. Denmark; 08-05-2014 at 03:22 PM.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

8/1 Friday

8/1 Friday

The alarm went off about 8 am and I felt a little dizzy as I stumbled out of bed to look out the window and check on the weather. It was a bit cloudy but dry. We went down to breakfast and before I rounded the corner I heard the unmistakable voice of NavySeabee asking "Is Paula here yet?" "Right here, Pete!" I said as I went to hug him, still feeling a bit light headed. He had just gotten in with his DTR (no jokes please!) and it was great to see him, even without Wendy. After putting 2 teaspoons of eggs on my plate and pouring a big cup of coffee, I sat down with the rest of the group for breakfast, enjoying some chit chat with "The Girls" ,Mary & Marianne and Christine. I think I was in mid sentence when all of a sudden I felt so sick that I excused myself and went right back upstairs to our room....where I stayed in bed for the next day and a half.

My very capable Mr. Man stepped right in and took care of everything as far as getting our group out to the tour of The Sqamscot Soda Company which was the first stop of the day. This family owned company had started making beer at the time of the Civil War. They continued up until the Prohibition when they had to decide whether to go out of business or choose to make soda pop. They switched to soda and decided since it was profitable, they would continue even after Prohibition was repealed. Today they still make soda with the same bottling machine built in 1935, on their farm in Newfield. Everyone got free samples and some took home a case of their sodas, which came in lots of varieties.

Now on to lunch at the Wild Rover Pub, the only Irish Pub on a Polish Street in a French City, in Manchester. Back at the hotel in my death bed, I had received a call from Blown3.8 (and I'm sure I sounded like death- warmed-over to Chris) telling me that he and Sherm and the rest of the Vinings were meeting the group at the restaurant. From what I gather, it was a bit of a Chinese Fire Drill getting all the Marauders parked anywhere near the pub due to one way streets, closed parking garages , police telling people to move and construction. But it all worked out. And from what I hear the food was pretty good.

Once lunch was over, the Van Otis Chocolate tour was next. The Vinings opted out and headed back for some rest after their long trip. RFOverlord arrived just as the tour was starting. Bob had driven up from The Cape in his silver GM "Newport Edition" in horrible traffic. Although I didn't get to see Bob until the next afternoon, I was so happy to know he'd arrived.

The group cruised back to Concord and Eric just had time to run in and check that his ailing wife was still breathing (and I was, barely), before leaving for The McAuliffe Science Center Evening Starshow at The McAuliffe Planetarium. Afterwards the group had a very late dinner at the local Applebees, when all the other local eateries were long closed. Unfortunately for me, all the pharmacies in a 20 mile radius were also closed so my suffering continued.
    Last edited by Ms. Denmark; 08-05-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Saturday

8/2 Saturday **This section written by Mr. Man

Ms. D woke up still too sick to leave the room so I got her set up with provisions and headed down for breakfast myself. Once filled with edible digestibles we were all off to the Pierce Manse for our private 10am tour. This was the house President Pierce lived in as an adult with his wife, and kids....all of whom died in childhood. (1840's on). We split into two groups of 7 and headed into the house. We all got a history lesson on the family and furnishings. I was hoping for more history on Pierce as President but that's what Google is for. Tour lasted about an hour and while the first group waited for the second to finish their tour we stood outside and contemplated what the rail tracks outside were used for as they looked old and no longer in use. Sounds silly but we had a good time pondering.

Then we were off to the town of Bristol, for some lunch at Kathleen's Irish Pub. The trip up took about an hour via the scenic route. (Anybody else notice the abundance of graveyards?) We all piled into the small parking lot and that's where we met up with Gray Ghost and his wife Susan. It was their first NH Meet and possibly their first Marauder meet. They had driven up from Conn. in their JPB to meet us for some grub and the rest of the weekends activities. Food was tasty and I had my first experience (and hopefully not my last) with Irish pizza. RFOverlord had ordered an appetizer of said pizza and it was a big pizza so he shared with the other MM's nearby....Wicked Awesome!!! is all I can say. Thanks Baub for sharing.

After lunch we cruised over to Weir's Beach to stroll the boardwalk and sit and chat before boarding the boat (or is it a ship?) M/S Mount Washington, for our Rock & Roll Sunset Dinner Cruise. It was a bit of challenge finding 5 hour meters for a gaggle of Marauders, but we all found a spot. Soon after, RacerX & Tracy arrived at the pier, having stopped at the hotel and picking up a now recovered Ms.Denmark. Ms. D was still feeling a bit puny so she took a seat with vtwoodsman & Marianne (which she soon regretted LOL!) as John did his malicious best to make Ms. D laugh knowing her poor stomach muscle would scream in pain after all that exercise puking....(and they did scream, several times) 'cause John is a pretty funny guy.

6:15 pm All-aboard.....Tracy had made arrangements to get us tables next to the dance floor. The buffet was ready to go almost immediately once we were on board. Salads, bread, vegetables, fish, and slabs of beef, tea, coffee, water were at hand for you to choose from. Soda was extra!! What the Fu.... but as I glared at the bartender in disbelief, a crew member with lots of bars on his shoulders, told the barkeep, "What ever this man is drinking tonight is on me!" and he walked away. Was he hitting on me or was he defusing a potential bartender mauling? I'll go to my grave never knowing the answer. The band got to rockin just as Paula and I finished eating. They were GREAT, playing all the oldies R&R. Sea Cruise, appropriately was the first song. There was more music on another deck, a guy playing solo doing James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet type music....mellow rock. Right up Marauder Jim's ally! As the music rocked, Sherm was dancing up a storm with Mrs. VtWoodsman. Talk about boundless energy! Paula and I headed out to explore other parts of the boat. We settled on a mid-level deck and chatted with MarauderJim and DWStang67 for awhile. The lake was beautiful and the sunset pretty spectacular. Once the sun went down, Ms. D. went back downstairs to enjoy the R&R band and ended up having a ball cutting the rug with Sherm. Bunny got a dance or two in with Sherm as well. What a guy, he just don't quit!! I went up to the poop deck and got the history of the Winnipesaukee area from Tracy, who spent much of her childhood there. Our cruise came to and end about 10 pm and we pulled into port smooth as glass, compliments of the ship's Captain. ( Tracy's cousin). We even got a (partial) group picture with him. Ms. D. and Marianne were off looking for the loo and missed the whole thing. We disembarked feeling full and happy and returned to our cars. MM03MOK and SergntMac , Gray Ghost & Susan and vtwoodsman & Marianne decided to head out before most of the rest of us.

For the 45 minute trip back to the hotel the rest of the group nominated RacerX to lead the way since he is familiar with the area. Paula and I were next, then NavySeabee, Marauder Jim, DWStang67 and Stogie Bear & Christine brought up the rear. As we headed out of town RacerX, who DID NOT have a radio, made a right instead of a left and the FRS radio's started to buzz. Paula assured everyone that Bill prolly knew a "shortcut" and everything was cool. About then DWStang67 came on his radio saying "I'm stuck behind a Toyota". We just thought that maybe Marauder Jim was not moving fast enough for Dean's taste. We continued our convoy through town, when all of a sudden RacerX quickly turned into a Irving gas station. Was this the obligatory Marauder Meet U Turn?? Not knowing, the rest of us pulled in behind him. When Bill turned off his car and got out, I figured he was going in to get a soda or something, so everyone parked wherever they could. Instead, Bill walked over to me and said "I thought you needed gas". Bill and I had briefly discussed the route back earlier and I said I would peel off at a Shell, but since this was an Irving I could wait, (I don't have an Irving card). Chaulk it up to crossed wires and too much beer. No harm no foul. Ms. D offered our spare FRS radio to Tracy and was retrieving it from the trunk when just then a local Laconia NH police car comes whizzing into the parking lot and parked himself right behind our car. Did he want to see the Marauders? Paula started to ask him, when a second unit showed up and then then a third! Is the station being robbed? How exciting? Then one officer started approaching us followed by the other two. I hear Paula say "Is anything wrong?" (We are still holding out hope that they just want to see the Marauders and "oooh and ahhh" over them.... but alas, NO.) Seems one of us supposedly ran someone "off the road" and the 911 caller, driving a Toyota, said it was a "big black Lincoln." Huh? The senior officer says to his junior "It was a Marauder", to which the second cop replied, "Marauder? They're all Marauders!!". Absolutely flabbergasted, we soon saw Christine,...that's right I said "Christine", surrounded by 3 stern looking law enforcement officers giving her a grilling. The rest of us moved as far from the immediate area of inquisition as possible and contemplated our possible fate, but Christine stood tall and strong and handled the cops like a pro. (Prolly didn't hurt that she was driving the Marauder of the retired VT State trooper, our very own Stogie Bear!) Anyway, I think it's fair to say Christine pretty much took one for the team but I want to emphasize that the Turdota driver was in no way "forced off the road"....intimidated a teensy bit maybe ...but I didn't see anything, so who's to say? Nuff said! After a few tense minutes the cops decided to make note of it in the official police log and move on. We were all stupified and call on the whole incident. As we got back in our cars to leave the gas station MarauderJim(retired 34 years on the job) suggested we all leave "QUIETLY" because the Laconia PD would be lying in wait as we left town.... and he was right....they were! NEVER have I seen so many Marauders using their blinkers just to leave a parking lot! The rest of the trip back to the hotel went smoothly. We met up with Gray Ghost & Susan back in the hotel parking lot and talked about "the incident" 'til the wee hours. Our hero, Christine, was heard to say, smiling sweetly, she'd like to "go back, find that Toyota driver and show him what being run off the road REALLY looks like!" On that note, we called it a night. All in all a pretty good day.

Mr. Man
    Last edited by Ms. Denmark; 08-06-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Sunday

8/3 Sunday This section written by Mr. Man

Breakfast at the hotel as usual, though a bit later than originally planned. Sherm, Blown 3.8 and family were already in the parking lot. We (Mr.Man-Eric and Ms.Denmark-Paula-JPB) left for the Budweiser plant in convoy with MarauderJim(Jim-DBP), DWSTANG67(Dean-JPB), NavySeeBee(Pete-DTR), Sheminator/Blown3,8(in the same car, Sherm, Chris, Stephanie and the kiddo-JPB), Stogie Bear(Richard & Christine- -JPB), around 8:15am. Dean(DWStang67) assumed the lead, as he had his GPS and it told him to take exit 10, which seemed far north of the brewery, but Dean had confidence in the directions so we all took the exit.... then sure enough, the dang GPS directed us back north towards Route 3 South! Oye vey! Everyone's GPS started saying different things so we decided to stay on Route 3 because at least we knew the Budweiser plant was somewhere on it. So off through the woods to Budweiser's house we went! As we approached Manchester, Blown 3.8's GPS started to conflict with Dean's so we put Chris in the lead position, figuring what have we got to lose? (I think some GPS devices use local road names and others stick with the numbered routes.) No biggie, as by now we were all determined to get to Budweiser come Hell or High Water! As we cleared Manchester, we found ourselves at a red light and what pulls up right next to Blown3.8 but a bright yellow late model Camaro. Ha Ha! Chris was driving Sherminator's 10 second Marauder. so we gave Chris "permission" to show the Camaro who was boss... but Chris wisely decided maybe the Camaro was headed to the show and knew where he was going! And besides, a yellow Camaro mixed into a line of Marauders would be a sacrilege! Well, logic won out and we followed that Camaro for a while til it sped away at a yellow light. At long last we found Budweiser and entered the show field. Entry was $5 and benefitted the Make-a-Wish Foundation. We were directed to a spot on the grass right next to (you guessed it) that bright yellow late model Camaro, and set ourselves up. Paula(Ms. Denmark) and Sherm(Shermanator) laid out some chairs to save spots, for the others arriving later in the morning. Unfortunately a single Corvette sneaked into our last spot when Paula's back was turned ,so she jealously guarded some spaces adjacent to us until they were filled with late arriving Marauders.

[B]We had 7 JPB, 2 Silver Birch, 1 DTR and 1 DBP represented. RFOverlord drove his Silver GM (Newport Edition) and Cobra Kid came in his Subaru.

We all got out our cleaning supplies and started wiping the cars down. Grey Ghost(Bruce, Susan-JPB) arrived and parked with us for most of the day, which was great, because he and Susan had only planned to be "spectators" and head back to Connecticut early. I think Bruce(GG) ending up "oohing and ahhing" over the nearly 500 cars that showed. RFOverlord(Baub-Silver GM Newport edition") showed up on foot from the spectator parking area and MM03MOK/SergntMac(Mary, Mac-SB) rolled in an hour or so after the group and parked in a saved spot. VTWoodsman and the Mrs(John, Marianne-JPB) drove in shortly after that. Not sure when nhmuscle(Ken-SB) arrived, but all of a sudden there he was, parked with the group. His car is the last Marauder ever made... Silver Birch in case you were wondering. Ms. D. LOVES that! RacerX(Bill, Tracy-JPB) rolled in as well. After spiffing up the cars, some in our group wandered out to check out all the other cars. We noticed RFOverlord and SergentMac spending just a tad too long staring at a Prius, and became a bit concerned. I fell in love with a Copper painted '33 Ford 3 window coupe that I would have traded my MM for in a heartbeat. My no-no parts still tingle when I think about it, (stupid "other people" who win the lottery!).

Meanwhile people were coming over to look at the Marauders. We were the ONLY car club represented...and probably had the public scratching their heads as to why we were there, at least until they came over to get a good look... and a bit of an education! Lots of people were pretty darn impressed and several said they had seen us up in Loudon at NHMS in years past. Yup, we're getting a reputation. LOL! We had hoped to see Mainiac at the show but his son Cobra Kid arrived in his own car and said dad couldn't make it. We really enjoyed having Forrest with us for the day. He's a great kid and it's nice to see the younger generation appreciate Marauders! ( and be willing to hang out with us fogies). Tours of the Budweiser plant were available for those of age or with a responsible adult. CobraKid(Forrest-Blue Subaru) hooked up with Dean(DWStang67) and (despite that caveat ) they took the tour together. But it was all good ... Marauder Jim went along as well. Dean & Jim got to sample the beer (two 11 oz. glasses each) and they served soda to the non 21/teetotalers, so Forrest also got to wet his whistle.

The Budweiser Clydesdales were on scene and they all seemed to be getting a bath, as reported by those in our group who went down to the stable, (horse mansion is more like it!!) Blown 3,8 (Chris) and Stephanie's daughter came back with a stuffed Clydesdale that needed a name so, I suggested "Clyde." She replied, "She's a girl horse!" and thought "Charlie" was more appropriate. I suggested, in that case, "Charlene" would be the "girl" equivalent, but no, she was sticking with "Charlie."

Shemanator was notified by the judges that he was to receive one of only twelve awards given out. I don't think they actually had a category for our cars so they honored him for "travelling the farthest". We were all so proud to see him in the parade of winners! His car, as usual, was spectacular and he was a great choice to represent the MM contingent! He received a giant beer jug as a trophy. Then the show was over and it was time for "goodbyes". The majority of the Marauder crowd packed up and headed for their respective homes. Paula and I were staying one more night and so was DWStang67 so we hooked up with RacerX(Bill) and Tracy, CobraKid(Forrest) and Sherm and the Vining crowd for dinner in Nashua, at Agave Azul, a great Mexican joint. Food was tasty and Paula loved the freshly made-at-your-table guacamole! That and a big 'ol Margarita and Paula was in heaven. Guess she was really cured!

After dinner we all said our goodbyes and headed out. Sherm and his crowd headed back to their camper and their long trip back to VA. Forrest sped away in his Subaru wagon. Dean, Paula and I followed Bill and Tracy back towards the highway North and waved "see you later" as Bill and Tracy turned off to find their home somewhere in the wilds of Nashua.

So, that left a Marauder convoy of two, headed North...Ms. D and I stopping to pay tolls while Dean went zipping through with EasyPass. The Government is tracking you, Dean! We decided to fuel up the cars in preparation for the trip home the following day, once we got back to Concord. Paula then thought ice cream was in order, so after the fill up we shot over to a local ice cream joint for one last treat. We arrived at the hotel around dusk, smoozed a bit then called it a day.

8/4 Monday morning-Breakfast at the hotel then home, Dean in tow behind me, the slowpoke, but we did do some spirited passing of some really slow Slow Pokes out on the road. The upside for Dean is, he probably got the best gas mileage of his trip following me We split up somewhere in NJ, to head to our final destinations.

I want to send a BIG THANK YOU to DWSTANG67(DEAN) for helping Paula and me out with my MM's constant dead battery. It just wouldn't hold a charge. I never turned the car off Monday till I got home. I'm thinking it's a dead cell and will investigate it further this week. Car shows on the weekend and all!!!

Paula and I also want to thank everyone who attended this years regional event. We know your vacation time is limited and we truly appreciate you taking your valuable time to spend it with us and your fellow Marauderers in New Hampshire.

Paula and I hope to continue with the 6th annual NH regional meet next year so stay tuned for details next year.
    Last edited by Ms. Denmark; 08-06-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Denmark View Post
    8/1 Friday I think I was in mid sentence when all of a sudden I felt so sick that I excused myself and went right back upstairs to our room....where I stayed in bed for the next day and a half.
    Sorry to hear that you were under the weather for Friday and part of Saturday. Gotta watch those late night "tea" parties in the lobby.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Wow Paula, sorry to hear you were sick. I appreciate the write up on the day's events, but really crappy you couldn't participate. Hope you are doing well now!

Was it a stomach flu or something?
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

^^^Thanks, guys. Not really sure why I got sick but it hit me so fast and kept me in bed. (With periodic trips to the loo to puke my guts up) Sorry. As you can see I did survive and even had a REALLY good time this year!
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Mr. Man helped me finish up our day by day...and it's a tad long! Anyway, we did enjoy ourselves and wanted to share a bit of our experience. Feel free to skim!
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

Great write up Eric! Sounds like a great time!
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Denmark View Post
    After spiffing up the cars, some in our group wandered out to check out all the other cars. We noticed RFOverlord and SergentMac spending just a tad too long staring at a Prius, and became a bit concerned.
    Pic or it didn't happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 DTR
    Born 9/25/2003 Adopted Aug 11, 2010
    #175 of 980 DTR, #537 of 3,214 2004

Lidio Tune, K&N CAI, 4.10s, FlowMaster40s, SS Braided brake lines, SS Bumper Inserts, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Lip Spoiler, Grill & Trunk Badges by Daniel, Audiophile 6L8T18C815FD.

Attachment 39272

I'm tellin' you Mac it's a chick magnet
    Last edited by Mr. Man; 08-28-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NavySeabee View Post
    Pic or it didn't happen?
    Pic needs to be it's own "Caption this picture" thread.

Wow, I get three mentions in the articles AND a picture...I'm honoured.

Nice legs, BTW.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

hey Apula:

I hope your back in top form. There is nothing worse than waking up sick while on vacation.. unless of course you wake up in a garbage dumpster after an all night at the Frat house. You had to be there......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information