Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear air suspension issue sanity check

Angry rear air suspension issue sanity check

So my "AIR SUSP" light came on today and the car has the gangster lean going on. I went out and cycled the ignition and the compressor kicked on as intended. But then I immediately started hearing a hisssssssssssssing noise coming from the back of the car.

I'm guessing an air spring has gone bad? Seems like the most obvious explanation given the symptoms.

R.I.P. SC Cheesehead. You were a good man and I am honored to have known you.

Air spring, or solenoid didn't close would be the first two things to check
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I'm going under the car after lunch with a spray bottle of soapy water.
    I've read that the Arnott compressor is the best replacement for that part, but what about Arnott spings? Are those the go-to replacement (if it turns out I need to replace the springs)?

Arnott and Suncore are both reputable brands:

https://www.amazon.com/Suncore-40F-1...rcury+Marauder

Symptom:

WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!

Bubbles!
    And it's crazy dry-rotted down there too.

Let's see how fast I can get two springs from RockAuto.

Also ford still sells oem air springs.
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

02 SL500 Silver Arrow - first aid kit delete, maybe for sale

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by vonirkinshtine View Post
    Symptom:

WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!

Bubbles!
    And it's crazy dry-rotted down there too.

Let's see how fast I can get two springs from RockAuto.
    Ah crap man!! That is terrible---I thought those cars had springs--you mean they have air bags like the Marauder/Didn't realize
    !!
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderman View Post
    Ah crap man!! That is terrible---I thought those cars had springs--you mean they have air bags like the Marauder/Didn't realize
    !!
    HPP's and Sports had air ride, the air ride was not created for the Marauder. Sports got base spring rate airbags while HPP/Marauders had a "sportier" stiffer spring rate.

OP I put OEM airbags in my 03 Marauder a couple years back, mine were dry rotted after 150k+ miles but still held air. I think it was member lifespeed who swapped to a set of aftermarket "limo" bags and found the ride got a lot harsher.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Yes, see my post under suspension. Code number is there. Limo bags have aluminum collars vs plastic collars and appear much meatier, thicker, sturdy. They are a little more bouncy on the roughest roads... But other than that they are amazing.

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

C'mon Tom! We even talked about that when you first brought the car over for me to check out. I heard the compressor running when you turned the car off. Hahahaha.
    Yeah, it has the same rear air setup as the Marauder.
    I ordered the Arnott "Limo" springs. They had me at "aluminum piston". I plan on adding a trailer hitch so I thought these "heavy duty" springs were the way to go. Thanks for the warning about the ride quality. From what I remember the spring rate (or the "feel" I guess we could call it) is about on-par with the P71 suspension. Those cars are pretty stiff.

I have the springs from Rock Auto. I'll be installing them this evening. Will update once done.

Update:
    Got the air bags changed out tonight (both sides because why not). Passenger side was definitely worse off though.

These are the new Arnott A2220 (left) compared to the blown OEM spring (right)
    It was actually incredibly easy to replace the springs! Once the car was on jack stands it only took me about 45min to do both sides.

BUT NOW THE COMPRESSOR WON'T KICK ON!
    I checked the fuse and relay. Not the issue. I'll dig into it tomorrow. Fortunately I don't have anything else going on tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm if there is, in fact, a separate Data Link Connector (DLC) for the Air Suspension Module? The workshop manual says there is. And my OBDII reader isn't finding ANY parameters for the RAS through the connector under the steering wheel.

Compressor still isn't kicking on and I would love to grab a DTC. But I can't communicate with the right channel.

Now I'm stumped.
    I jumpered pins 30 and 87 on the air suspension relay (number 303) and nothing happened. Then I took the compressor out and put it on my workbench. I put 12V to it there and it worked.
    Somehow my compressor is not being told to kick on. I feel like the master switch in the trunk is off, but it is most definitely on.

I still would like to pull the DTCs if I can figure out how to read them.

Also, these are very helpful.
    dRock96Marquis over at CrownVic.net put together this very comprehensive description of the RAS system.
    https://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/RAS.htm
    And in his article he references this article from LincolnsOnline.com
    http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00061.html

FINAL UPDATE: I'm an idiot.
    I gave up on Sunday and took the car to the shop. They called me Tuesday (which was the earliest they could get it in) and said "It's fixed! You're all set!"
    Sooo...apparently when I was replacing the springs I accidentally unplugged something (either a solenoid or the height sensor, they didn't say which). They found it, plugged it back in, and everything works just fine.
    *sigh* at least it was a cheap fix, haha.

P.S. I love the Arnott A2220 springs I haven't noticed a harsher ride at all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information