Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a Marauder as a daily what do I need watch out for?

Looking to buy a Marauder as a daily what do I need watch out for?

Hi all I'm looking for a new daily driver and I'm really wanting a Marauder, I'm wanting to know what to look out for in these cars, how many miles are too many? Which year is better 2003 or 2004?

I found one on CarGurus that's in my price range and appears to be in great shape but has 182,000 miles on it so that's a concern.

Heres a link to it, what do you guys think?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=248466149

First, make sure there isn't a massive lien with TitlesRus. Does current owner know any of the car's history? Coil spring conversion? Mods? Boom Boom radio preset to all of the local ghetto stations? Tapping from #8 cylinder (port side rear)? Rear cylinder head crossover cooling mod performed? Keep in mind these are not true 'performance' cars, but 'boutique' cars, meaning they are 'dressed up' for the dance - some well thought out mods (many inexpensive) and Marauder can rock the dance floor. Many of us here in the Southern US consult with MartyO of the speed shop that bears his name, located in Dallas, GA. Probably the top Marauder authority here in the SE US.
    Last edited by Invective; 08-18-2019 at 01:14 AM.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Ok so I asked the seller some questions heres his responses so far.

I am the second owner. It was bought new in Delray Beach. No modifications. Completely stock. Recent trans rebuild. Timing tensioners, guides replaced. Starter newer. Front lower control arm bushings and rear trailing arms replaced. Drivers left seat bolster and center console cover recovered

Ive done most of the work. I have parts receipts. I work for Ford in pompano beach for 26 years. No engine noise. Never heard of a tick in the rear head. Timing chain noise, which was replaced.

Mileage has no affect on the vehicle at all. My 260k mile 03 marauder runs circles around our 70k 04 and 40k 03 marauders. Its just smoother, idles better, pulls harder and pretty much better all around.

As with any vehicle you never want to purchase from the elderly or a cautiously slow driver. The most reliable cars are those that get driven hard. Which also means you dont want a vehicle thats been sitting for a long tome either.

The timing chain tensioners are the most common problem. Verify it has a motorcraft oil filter on it and that its only had motorcraft filters. All other filters cause the timing chain tensioner failure since they dont have anti drain back valves. When I had the ford contract we made millions on rebuilding heads for the 3v 5.4 engines and the aluminum 4.6 4v engines due to timing chain tensioner and cam phaser failures. Not a single one of them had a motorcraft filter.

Typical maintenance items on these cars is going to be suspension. Make sure the car is solid and there isnt any excessive suspension slop.

Other than that just check over all the basics. Make sure the oil is golden and not black and neglected. Same for trans fluid, power steering, coolant and brake. Pull the oil cap and look on the bottom side for any milky mixes indicating it may have had problems in the past.

These engines are known to have leaky valve seals so a little smoke out the exhaust on start up is to be expected. Just make sure its not excessive. It wouldnt be a bad idea to do a compression test to while your at it if you want to be more thorough.

As always when buying a new vehiicle it would be a good idea to crawl underneath and inspect for rust or any signs of repairs from accidents.

With the age of these cars now power window and door lock failures are becoming increasingly more common. As well as the ac blend door actuator, ac blower motor resistor, radiator fan failures and ac issues (leaking compressors). If it still has the original rear air bags they may be on their last legs as well so if they hadnt been done expect them to be needing it sooner than later.

You can also ask if the ford recall on the light control module was done.

That should cover the majority of it.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenMike View Post
    Ok so I asked the seller some questions heres his responses so far.

I am the second owner. It was bought new in Delray Beach. No modifications. Completely stock. Recent trans rebuild. Timing tensioners, guides replaced. Starter newer. Front lower control arm bushings and rear trailing arms replaced. Drivers left seat bolster and center console cover recovered

Ive done most of the work. I have parts receipts. I work for Ford in pompano beach for 26 years. No engine noise. Never heard of a tick in the rear head. Timing chain noise, which was replaced.

No way we can tell for sure without being there. Looks like a very good deal from what I've seen and read from this vantage point. No one has to tell you NOT to pay for the car sight unseen. For the money, I would take a chance on it. My concern is that you really know nothing about these cars. Also betting most of the indicated mileage is 'highway miles'.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Blog Entries
    Old Cars things break and wear out. Need access to a good repair shop.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

So far all the questions have been answered satisfactorily so I'm going to start the buying process, I'm getting the financial stuff on my end straight then go see the car in person, get it inspected by a third party and then if everything looks good make a deal, I'm really excited to be joining a great community of car owners.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenMike View Post
    So far all the questions have been answered satisfactorily so I'm going to start the buying process, I'm getting the financial stuff on my end straight then go see the car in person, get it inspected by a third party and then if everything looks good make a deal, I'm really excited to be joining a great community of car owners.
    Congrats! Do keep us informed of your travails. I bought mine from a collector in Michigan last year. Marauder had never had any fluids changed beyond the engine oil and differential. I paid to have the old fluids changed with the exception of the power steering fluid and brake fluid, before putting the car on the road back to NC. In hindsight, I should have had the fuel filter changed but that happened after getting home, along with the power steering fluid. Brake fluid will wait until Marauder's first brake work. Had a trouble free trip home.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

So I made an offer which the seller accepted, I told him I had a few more details to work out and I'd set up a date to look at it in person and make the deal, just got a message that he sold it so back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    First, make sure there isn't a massive lien with TitlesRus. Does current owner know any of the car's history? Coil spring conversion? Mods? Boom Boom radio preset to all of the local ghetto stations? Tapping from #8 cylinder (port side rear)? Rear cylinder head crossover cooling mod performed? Keep in mind these are not true 'performance' cars, but 'boutique' cars, meaning they are 'dressed up' for the dance - some well thought out mods (many inexpensive) and Marauder can rock the dance floor. Many of us here in the Southern US consult with MartyO of the speed shop that bears his name, located in Dallas, GA. Probably the top Marauder authority here in the SE US.
    What does THAT have to do with anything? Makes no sense....

Find clean car with excellent maintenance history and clears mechanical inspection...BUY.
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

So what's the main differences between 2004 and 2003 marauders, which one is better?
    The transmissions are different, sunroof, color choices and traction control right?
    Also are the sunroofs in theres cars ok or are they trouble?
    Last edited by StevenMike; 08-21-2019 at 06:31 AM.

StevenMike - So what's the main differences between 2004 and 2003 marauders ...
    Excerpted from the 2004 overview document .....

2004 Marauder Overview

New for 2004

Heavy-duty 4R75W transmission with improved shift response
    New exterior colors: Dark Toreador Red and Silver Birch
    New interior color: Light Flint/Dark Charcoal two-tone
    Needle bearings and Teflon seals on torque converter
    Dual knock sensors for improved response at low engine speeds
    Standard traction control
    Standard Audiophile entertainment system

Reference: Docments - Mercury Marauder ««« -click-

The 03 is widely believed by ford enthusiast to be the better vehicle. In 2004 it seemed as though ford was cutting corners on the vehicles trying to make more profit. The 04 has base crown vic struts and shocks which they revised the suspension 4 times. They down graded the wiring in the doors to thinner gauge wire. They removed the clock in the dash.

The 04 did get heated seats which is nice in the winter. The traction control on the 04s is pretty crappy which most people dont like.

Where do you get your info? Never in 8 years has anyone said or proven the 04 has crown Vic struts... 03 has paint issues, 4 thread spark plug holes...
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

So 04s have spark plug issues? As far as I can tell 03s are more common, 04s are harder to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information