Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pressure Drop

Oil Pressure Drop

So was driving home from work yesterday and at a stop light just before home, saw my oil pressure (dummy gauge) drop down. But when light turned green and stepped on gas, the oil pressure returned to normal. Also returned to normal when I put the car in park in the driveway.

Pulled the car in the garage (driveway is bit of an incline) and checked the oil. Oil level looked good but went ahead and topped it up. Started car and oil pressure gauge was normal from then on. Did not notice anything on the way to work this morning (short drive).

Is this normal when the oil is low? Other thoughts/concerns that I should look at?
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Even though it's a dummy gauge, it still measures pressure. It's essentially a solenoid, sees pressure, or doesn't. Your oil level must have been really low for it to have dropped like that.
    Normal when the oil is low, yes.
    I'll sell you my gauge pod - real pressure gauge with OEM faceplate, so still retained the stock look, back lit green numbers and all that.
    But You'll have to purchase the new sending unit, and convert the connector plug to a ring terminal so it fits on the new sending unit after its installed.

Only took about a quart of oil. Level looks good today.

Was keeping an eye on it on the way home. Almost home and it starts to do it again. First the needle starts to twitch. Then it starts to go down. But when I let off the brake and push the gas, it goes back to normal. But then it goes down again at the next light. Does it several times. The twitching only occurred when it first started. Bad gauge?

I'll keep your offer on hand. My wife says I can't spend anymore this month. lol :-)

maybe I need to replace the oil sensor switch?

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    maybe I need to replace the oil sensor switch?
    Cheapest way to rule it out. Fake gauge or not a sender is a sender. But being oil pressure I wouldn’t delay in figuring it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Replace the sensor first.

Get a real gauge.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I took it to the stealership and they said my gauges were bad. I asked if I need a new switch and they said no, switch was good. But I put new gauges in and they did the same thing. I'm ordering a new switch. They are cheap. Is the correct switch Motorcraft SW8368 or part number GC3Z-9278-A which replaced the 1U5T-9278-DA?

I'm still considering a real gauge somewhere down the line but my wife says I have to control the expenses right now.

Ford / Mercury parts book says only available aftermarket from Auto Meter part number 2242. Pretty sure I used the GC3Z-9278-A which is the same part as the Motorcraft SW-7676 on my 2004 MM. The IU5T-9278-DA is an engineering number and not a part number.
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

I put the new oil pressure switch in this Sunday. Backed my car off the ramps and noticed it was leaking a lot of oil. I think I tightened the oil pressure switch too much and caused some damage. Didn't realize I had Superman hands. Towed it to the shop and should get a call tomorrow on the details and $$$.

I guess there is a reason my wife won't let me touch her car. Seems about 50% of the time when I turn my own wrench for maintenance for my own car, I end up breaking something else. lol

OK, so I had caused a crack in the oil filter adapter and it was streaming out oil. Shop is getting it replaced.

How is that even possible? I’d ask to see the parts. I just can’t see how the adapter would crack before the sending unit snapped in half.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Well, when I put the switch in, it was slowly dripping oil along the bottom where it looked like there was a small crack. I was hoping it wasn't a crack and just oil collecting from somewhere else but when I started the car, it started gushing under pressure. My nephew was there when I was working on the car and he thinks that maybe that was the leak another stealership said I had but they couldn't find and that maybe now that I stressed the area by overtightening the switch, I aggravated it?

Well, when I put the switch in, it was slowly dripping oil along the bottom where it looked like there was a small crack. I was hoping it wasn't a crack and just oil collecting from somewhere else but when I started the car, it started gushing under pressure. My nephew was there when I was working on the car and he thinks that maybe that was the leak another stealership said I had but they couldn't find and that maybe now that I stressed the area by overtightening the switch, I aggravated it?
    I did the same thing when I tested my original engine. I over tightened the sending unit and the adapter plate cracked. I couldn't believe that I cracked it but it happens I guess. My issue sounds the same as yours. I made 5lbs of oil pressure when the engine was warm. I ended up with another engine. Hopefully you dont have to do the same.
    03 black 300A # 2827 stock setup 275,000 on car. 65,000 on engine from a 04. 03 engine died at 273,000 . Rear cat delete with magnaflow 11256 mufflers.

OK, so I had caused a crack in the oil filter adapter and it was streaming out oil. Shop is getting it replaced.
    Happened to My Grand Marquis too. Somebody replaced the switch and over tightened it.

To respond to the older thread, I did get the adapter replaced back then.

Anyway, I've been on shelter in place for so long but needed to drive to my sister's. Took the Marauder because it had been sitting so long. Anyway, due to an accident ahead on the interstate, during stop and go traffic I did happen to look down and saw the oil pressure gauge doing its funny things again. But then was back to normal the rest of the way. Another sending unit needed perhaps? Didn't last long. Replacing it before did seem to fix it for awhile though. Or has the original gauge finally gone bad? I doubt it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information