Thread: Best way to change Oil Pan?

Best way to change Oil Pan?

Yup I made a rookie mistake and crushed the front of the oil pan. It must be replaced. Was floor jacking it in preparation to inserting jack stands. Have not had a floor jack slip since I was 19. A long long time ago.

Looking at it I think it might be easier doing it from the bottom after removing the crossmember?

From the top or bottom?

I don't have an engine crane anymore so if the crossmember must come out I must support the engine. Some wood and chain to hold the engine up? I didn't see any lift ears? Worth buying an engine support tool? Suggestions?

Just use a new Fomco gasket or a better one? No leaks on the Fomoco yet.

Jay
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

02 SL500 Silver Arrow - first aid kit delete, maybe for sale

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Pulling the engine is the easiest way. Not sure about removing the crossmember.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

I forget the name of the bracket but it secures from the lip on both fenders and supports the weight of the engine so the K member can be removed.

Surely someone else has seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    I forget the name of the bracket but it secures from the lip on both fenders and supports the weight of the engine so the K member can be removed.

Surely someone else has seen one.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...bar-96524.html
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

That's the part....

Yup just ordered a tripod type.

Guess I am going in through through the bottom.

ordered a ford pan & Gasket from Tasca
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

You were able to find an OEM pan? I thought they were long gone.

Well Tasca showed it available. So far no cancellation notice.

Weld a hook to the pan and use a slide hammer to fix it.

Zack, That is probably the easiest method by far. And if I Burned a hole in it I would be no worse off.

The oil pickup tube runs to the front of the engine? I am concerned I may have bent that.

Also need to decide if having a nice looking pan under there would make a difference when the time comes to finally sell it. Car has 36K on it now and is still pretty nice as it sees no salt and usually stays inside during rain.

Of course I paid for expedited shipping on everything so I could get this done then it turns out I am in rapid Afib. I knew something was wrong but could not figure out what. This is why I dropped the car along with several other much smaller things and a few minor bits of damage to the Mercedes. Weird experience. So no hard work for the for near future till I am back in rhythm however long that takes. Maybe a week or so? We will see.

good luck Jay, my FIL had some bad AFib and turns out his potassium got way low.

Thread Information