Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FRONT wheels and tires.

FRONT wheels and tires.

I always see plenty of talk about what tires to use out back for better traction and better performance in the rain, etc. What about front tires? I'm looking to run an 18x9.5 up front with wider tires to improve grip. Does anyone have any suggestions for tires to fit an 18x9.5? And does anyone have any pointers on what wheel offset to run up front with a wider wheel? I saw an 18x11 wheel covered but I'm not looking for that wide of a wheel heh. Thanks in advance guys.

Oh yeah, I'm driving a 2003 Crown Victoria p71 and I'll be running the tce 14" front brake kit.

I think Motown is running wide fronts.
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

I run 255/45-18 on the front w/stock MM rims - 8" wide w/no rubs at full lock rt/lft.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    I run 20x10s all the way around, it all depends on what look your after, staggered with a rake, or same size tires all way around?

When i ran oem 18s i ran widened 18x10s up front and 18x11s on the rear
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Fronts i have 9.5 255/45 (should go wider tire) with 40 offset no problems whatsoever.
    392 Challenger YELLOW JACKET
    12.28@114 stock

I'm looking to run a wider tire up front for better grip around the turns and better bite for braking. I'll probably be running an 18x11 or so out back to put the power to the ground and I have a set of steelies that I'll throw drag radials on if I decide to hit the drag strip. Could I run a 255/45-18 on a 9.5" wide rim? It looks like the approved rim width for that size tire is anywhere from 8-10". Would that look stretched on the wheel? I'm not after the stretched look.

Krytin: What tire are you running and how do you like it?
    Last edited by Ari; 05-01-2013 at 10:48 PM.

I am just getting done w/Cooper Zeon Sport RS 255/45 - 18 on all 4 corners.
    3 years of daily driving & over 35k miles. Longest lasting tires since I had the car from new! Still corners very well and down to the wear bars on 3 out of 4 (#4 is about hit). Breakaway traction on the rear tires is a little less than when new but not a problem. Very happy w/these and may replace w/Cooper again - depends on what I find for price. I have also run Nitto brand in the past w/good results.
    Always get the 103W load range when getting tires - a must for these cars!!
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

The tire will look stretched that's why I said should go with wider tire in post #5.
    12.28@114 stock

275/40/18? Or is that too short of a tire? I'm looking at a 265/50/18 and a 275/40/18 on nitto's nt555 line for the front. Is this even a good tire to run up front for throwing the car around the twisties?

I'm watching this closely. I am interested in running a 275-45/19 all the way around on my crown vic. The stock overall diameter is 27.2" while the larger tire I am looking at is 27.7" I'm not sure if the extra width along with the extra diameter will fit the front without rubbing.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by 05crownsport View Post
    I'm watching this closely. I am interested in running a 275-45/19 all the way around on my crown vic. The stock overall diameter is 27.2" while the larger tire I am looking at is 27.7" I'm not sure if the extra width along with the extra diameter will fit the front without rubbing.
    Shouldnt be a problem unless your car is lowered, i run a 315/35 20 on the front, which is about 28.5" tall and 12.5" wide with no rubbing at all wheel is a 20x10 on a =40mm +offset which perfect for these cars.

On your wheel and tire choice i would go 18" or 20" as odd size wheels and tires cost a bit more, and the selection isnt all that great.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN MARAUDER View Post
    Shouldnt be a problem unless your car is lowered, i run a 315/35 20 on the front, which is about 28.5" tall and 12.5" wide with no rubbing at all wheel is a 20x10 on a =40mm +offset which perfect for these cars.

On your wheel and tire choice i would go 18" or 20" as odd size wheels and tires cost a bit more, and the selection isnt all that great.
    Great to know that that wide ass tire will fit fine. Opens up a new can of worms for with tire selections now.
    12.28@114 stock

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN MARAUDER View Post

Sounds good! It is lowered by about one and a quarter inch. I'll have to test fit to assure clearance. I already have the wheels...19" mustang wheels from the later models with brembo brakes.

Right front fender liner & the wire harness that runs between it and the fender may be a problem if you are lowered. I cracked the liner & wore a hole in it with the outside shoulder of the tire and gave the harness a nasty rub!
    When I replaced the liner I relocated the harness to the top of the liner and cut away the molded box on the liner that used to shield the harness - just where the tire would hit/rub. Been good ever since!
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

Quote Originally Posted by Krytin View Post
    Right front fender liner & the wire harness that runs between it and the fender may be a problem if you are lowered. I cracked the liner & wore a hole in it with the outside shoulder of the tire and gave the harness a nasty rub!
    When I replaced the liner I relocated the harness to the top of the liner and cut away the molded box on the liner that used to shield the harness - just where the tire would hit/rub. Been good ever since!
    That's good heads up information!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information