Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took the Marauder to Mid-Ohio yesterday

Took the Marauder to Mid-Ohio yesterday

Yesterday, I learned that a Marauder with RideTechs, Addcos, and Heinous control arms can boogie its ass around a road course and only suffer one minor malfunction over the course of three 20-minute sessions. :m

Dad and I attended one of Mid-Ohio's Lead-Follow instruction sessions, which is required of any attendants prior to being eligible for open lap test and tune. Just as the name suggests, an instructor leads students around the course. Instruction is provided via FM radio during the first session with each lap getting progressively faster. Every lap, the lead student drops to the back, giving the next student in line an opportunity to follow directly behind the instructor. This allows the instructor to see exactly what line you're running and make suggestions on the fly, which can be utilized in the next two 20-minute sessions.

The first session started easily enough, but I soon found out that I was really hanging on and struggling to wrangle the car around the course. The GT350 and Vettes in our session were killing it in the horsepower department, and in my struggle to keep up, I found I was braking too late/hard. This, combined with a HARD panic stop due to some dipshit in a Vette hot-dogging down the backstretch and brake-checking the entire field, caused me to cook the brakes on the second to last lap, so I came in early to assess the situation and let the car cool off. Was pretty nervous because the pedal was super spongy at this point.

Everyone came in after, and the GT350 guy and the non-dipshit Vette guy came up and were asking me all sorts of questions about the Marauder. What is it, is it stock, how does it handle that well in the turns, how was I hanging with them, blah blah blah. I guess the big girl can dance!

Luckily, the pedal feel returned quickly and the brake temps were normal by the beginning of the next session. I decided to lay off the brake a little and just let the car sail around a little more. MAN, what a great decision that was. The car just felt so much more planted; unsurprising since I wasn't introducing hard brake and causing the car to squat as much. I was able to close gaps on everyone most of the turns (my best one was under the Honda bridge). This made up for the HP disadvantage as well as the fact that I was really struggling with two turns on the track and letting a gap form.

In between sessions 2 and 3, a few spectators came into the paddock and were asking more questions about the car, shocked that it was out there doing its thing. Clean Panthers are getting harder to find so I guess people are shocked to see them out getting thrashed.

Anyway, session 3 was basically a continuation of session 2 - higher speeds, lots of tire squeal, just a great time. When I came in and parked, though, I smelled rear diff fluid and knew it was coming from my car. Underneath was bone dry, so I looked at the tires...yep...a fine mist of diff fluid mist on both rear wheels. Guess the ol' 28 spline axles/seals finally crapped the bed. Had to drive it home the hundred plus miles, so I'm sure that didn't do it any favors, but oh well...it was worth it (and the leak isn't THAT bad, just...it's there).

Overall? Absolutely worth it. If you have the chance to thrash a Panther on a road course, do it. I plan to return once the car is fixed, and do some open laps.

Last edited by a_d_a_m; 08-21-2020 at 06:41 AM.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

What brake pads are you running. It's possible you had some moisture in the brake fluid and that turned to steam when your brakes got hot causing a spongy brake pedal.

I run several auto cross events each year and every spring I run new brake fluid through my lines.

I run Carbotech AX-6 Auto Cross brake pads. If I ran a track day event, I's probably switch to their XP-8 or XP-10 pad.

Also, check the vent tube on your rear differential.

I can't remember exactly what pads I'm running, but I do have the Zack&Jerry big brakes on the car. They've been great overall.

I bled them before it went into storage in November last year, and figured since I had less than 500 miles on the car since then, it would be fine. But your hypothesis about moisture in the lines might be right on the money, and I'm definitely going to bleed them before I go out next time.
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    Also, check the vent tube on your rear differential.
    I did rear diff service last year and cleaned the tube out then, but it probably needs to be checked again. Since the seals are leaking now anyway, I'll just give it a better once-over when I'm in there to fix it.

I seriously appreciate the advice on both fronts, though. This is all new to me.

I go through an entire quart of brake fluid when I bleed mine each spring. I suck out as much fluid as I can from the reservoir then refill it with fresh brake fluid. Then I put the entire car up on jack stands and remove the wheels and open up each brake bleeder while refilling the reservoir as the level drops slightly. I watch to make sure equal amounts of fluid are dripping from each brake bleeder. When about a quart has been run through, I close all of the bleeders and do some pump & holds on each corner. I also do this for the bleeder on the master cylinder.

Do you have an additional transmission cooler?

Hmmm, maybe I need to step up my brake bleeding game...I usually just bleed until it runs clean out the bleeders. (and yes, remove as much from the reservoir)

And no on the cooler.

I'm probably overkill on the brake bleeding.

Can anyone with an additional transmission cooler chime in and let us know what brand and model you have and how it's connected?

That's awesome you did that. I just saw the track day for like $250 or something for mid Ohio. Is that the one you did? There's one coming up in Sept. I would love to go, but I still have the factory brakes on, which are **** right now. I'm finding since getting my suspension done I've been more aggressive on the fun pedal I thought about taking my wife's Focus ST up though. It's about a 2 hr drive for us.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Sounds like you had fun Adam! Our Chicago track day at Marauderville wasn’t nearly that long but we had a blast. You don’t want too much power..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Sounds like a awesome time, Adam!
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Blog Entries
    Can't wait to get back to Drag Racing
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Dreamt write up! Wish I was with you!

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Not sure what's happening w/the forum but I'm currently unable to respond to direct quotes no matter how I try.

ANYWAY...

tobiasg1995, I got a deal on the lead-follow for $165ea earlier this year and bought time for myself and dad. It normally runs $195. The Focus ST would be fun, and a Panther with new stock brake components and a good bleed could survive. Once I learned what not to do, I started using way less brake.

justbob: a little more power would've been nice...but that's a slippery slope that leads to an empty wallet.

RCR: take one of your cars! You won't regret it.

1Marauder: there's an event near you in September, see below...
    https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/...k-september-17

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information