Thread: Where to connect engine support to engine?

Where to connect engine support to engine?

I need to change the oil pan so I bought a OTC 3 point engine support so I can remove the engine cradle.

I found a picture in the service manual that looks like the suggested connection point sare the two small diameter bolt holes at the bottom of the alternator. it appears you remove the alternator and put in some shorter bolts. They are fairly small. Also since i don't have the special ford engine support adapter plate I have to make a metal plate with holes for the bolts and a hole for the support hook and a notch in the bottom due to an obstruction.

20190828_190407[1].jpg

Anybody do this and is there a better place to connect ?

Jay
    Last edited by jaywish; 08-28-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

02 SL500 Silver Arrow - first aid kit delete, maybe for sale

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

If it was me I would bolt chain in that location and get it done

per that picture, it shows the cross bar laying right on the fender. thats what we all want right?
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Yes Chain. I should have a good selection.

Don't your fenders have the creases pressed in from the factory for this?
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    If it was me I would bolt chain in that location and get it done
    ^This^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Chain is now the plan.

I usually bolt my chain to the front of the block down low at the timing cover and in the back either at a bell housing bolt or the exhaust manifold

Are the timing cover bolts an oil leak point?

I removed the alternator and belt tensioner. Then wrapped the chain around the crank pulley with the belt between the chain and pulley. This gave me plenty of clearance to remove the pan and was very secure. I did use a couple of screw clamps to position the chain so it did not impinge on the water tube.

20191117_130524.jpg

20191119_114056.jpg

Dont know if I would have wrapped chain around the balancer. You stood a good chance of damaging either it or the crank.
    Theres plenty enough bolts on the timing cover and the cylinder heads to get the job done.

Good thing you got it done though! You saved yourself a boat load of time and cash.

I didn't see damaging the crank with a static load like that. As far as the timing cover bolts I didn't like the look of the aluminum covers to bear the weight. Though I guess experience has shown that the covers will stand up to it.

Thread Information