Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P0442

P0442

Hi all! Scanned my stock 03 (211k miles) yesterday to clear the CEL and had this code, the scanner says "Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected Small Leak". Any common issues w/ these cars, with these kinda miles, that I should put on the top of my list to check? Clean and check the gas cap and filler neck will be first, due to ease of access, and that it costs about zero time and money. But after that, anything in particular?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Following because I'm curious to hear the suggestions. My 320k Grand Marquis throws this code about twice a month but runs beautifully all the time.
    04 MM Silver Birch/Light Flint, HS, TO, 6CD, #597 of 3214 (sold 5/2014)
    06 MGM LS Ultimate w/HPP, Black/Dark Charcoal
    04 MGM LS Ultimate
    69 Marquis convertible, 429
    95 F250HD 7.3 4x4
    48 Ford F4

Vacuum leaks can cause that code, check pcv boot for cracks. Spray starting fluid while engine idles in small bursts near egr etc..if idle changes.. suspect area..
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

It’s an Evap leak more likely than a vacuum leak.

These are common on cars of these age.

Work your way through the evap system. Also check the gas cap.

Marty is right, I was more thinking of a stumble in acceleration type symptom. Check hoses to evap system mounted under tank too.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Well, after replacing the lower steering shaft, I left the car run and sprayed damn near every joining part on the motor, no change in idle, just my luck. Can the evap system under the tank be starter spray checked? Short of an oddity, like a broken filler neck, the under tank stuff seems like the only option left. The cap and neck outlet seemed fine, no imperfections, nothing obvious anyway.

it has to be purging at the time your spraying. best bet is to just replace all the evap lines they are usually very brittle and need replacement

The evap system is checked by a smoke test. Dealer or shop has the equipment for that. The cap may look fine, it may not be. Have had cap be issue before.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I’ve had this code for years. I’d love to get it fixed at some point. Need to find a shop with the smoker.

I think this is the same code my friends 04 Sport had years ago when it threw an EVAP code.

We replaced the gas cap, no dice (its almost never the gas cap)

The problem for him was, iirc, the vapor canister which is in the EVAP system under the trunk floor. Inside the canister is a screen and his was blocked with dirt. This is not a part that was intended to be serviced, but you're able to unclip it and simply clean the screen out. Re-assembled, cleared code and the car was fine for years after. His car was pretty rusty underneath and that EVAP system is held in with 2 nuts and 2 rivets. I remember snapping the studs on his, I am sure with how rusty your car is you'll snap yours as well.

Search this on CVN as well, it's not an uncommon issue

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Number=1167887

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0442

FORD:
    2003-2004 Crown Victoria

LINCOLN:
    2003-2004 Town Car

MERCURY:
    2003-2004 Grand Marquis

ISSUE

Some 2003-2004 Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis and Town Car vehicles may exhibit a malfunction indicator light (MIL) with DTC P0442 (Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)) in memory. This may be an erroneous DTC set due to a partial blockage (rather than a leak) of the fresh air vent hose connected to the canister vent valve. A spider nest may cause this blockage.

ACTION

Perform a smoke machine phase 1 - leak verification pressure test per the PC/ED. If a leak is indicated, proceed with normal leak detection diagnostics. If there is no leak indicated, remove and visually inspect the fresh air vent hose for a spider nest or other such blockage. Clear the hose by blowing out with compressed air and clear the DTC.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Offroadkarter you're my only hope, and you were right so far, went to check under there and the studs had to be cut off to get in. Found a hose clamp had broken, replaced that, thought I was all good but the CEL came back today. So, since you called it so far, tomorrow I'll go back under there and check that screen for a clog. I hope that's it, otherwise it's take it to Ford, or unleash the "parts cannon" and pray. Neither option thrills me...

Just found an excellent video on YouTube showing how this is done, for anyone following this thread.

https://youtu.be/ZE-IlGCfyBI

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden2816 View Post
    Just found an excellent video on YouTube showing how this is done, for anyone following this thread.

https://youtu.be/ZE-IlGCfyBI

Fall of 2018, my low mileage Marauder began running poorly and stalling without triggering the CEL. Corrected the issue by replacing the IAC (thanks FB groups). Shortly afterwards, the CEL illuminated although Marauder was running well. OEM fuel cap was fine; code came up for 'vapor canister solenoid' (fuel tank) and was changed out. A week or so later, CEL illuminated again although car was running fine. Shop stated code was for 'vapor canister purge valve' (firewall). Device was replaced and no issues since.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

I remember back in my first Marauder (Sometime around 2008-2009) I threw a similar code and it was the vapor canister purge valve. Replaced it with oem and it never came back. I might just order a new one and change out the old one.
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Webasto Aftermarket Moonroof
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints
    Fresh Black Paint & PVD Chrome

Stainless Works Headers & Full Cat Mandrel Exhaust System w/Magnaflow 11229 Mufflers, Martyo Tune & Coolant Mod, Steeda UDP, Stewart WP, JLT CAI & Catch Can, J-Mod, UHaul Pan, Rebuild 4R70W, Dynotech 4' 6061, Forced Lube Mod, 31 Ford Spline Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier w/CF Clutchs, Ford Racing 4.10, TA Girdle & Stud Kit, Carfixer Alignment & SPC Camber Bolts, Ridetech HQ Front Coilovers w/ADTR extended bracket & ADTR Rear HQ Shocks, Arnott P2936 A/C & A-2220 Bags, Gorilla Lock, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Tires, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link, Addco F/R Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines, AutoMeter Digital Oil & Volt Gauge, Full VLED Interior/Exterior, Alpine ILX-507, PKG-M780 Headrest Monitors, MRP-F300, R-S65C.2 & R-S68 Speakers, HCE-C1100 & KTX-C10LP Camera System, Viper DS4 & DSM550 GPS SmartStart System, Yellow Optima, BIG III & 200 Amps Alt

Well guys, only time (and mileage) will tell, but that vapor solenoid is definitely a great candidate for what was causing my error code. Opened it up, like the video above, luckily nothing visible in the hose. However, after opening up the canister solenoid, I found the inside to be quite filthy (see pic). Cleaned it up pretty well, but the outside of the canister was very rusty, so although it's clean inside now, I do intend on replacing it in the near future regardless of whether it ends up being the cause of the code or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information