Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: passengers side head cooling mod??

passengers side head cooling mod??

I know I have the title wrong but have seen articles about a cooling mod located at the rear of the cylinder head on passengers side.
    Correct term for what I am referring to?
    what are the symptoms or issues that will arise before the mod is done??
    Link to mod?

passengers side head cooling mod??

Zacks cooling mod connects both cylinder heads in the rear top section of each head under the intake. It's tapped into the heater core to provide an even flow of coolant circulation. Cylinders 7 & 8 tend to overheat more due to lack of coolant flow thru the back portion of the drivers head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 03Merc View Post
    Zacks cooling mod connects both cylinder heads in the rear top section of each head under the intake. It's tapped into the heater core to provide an even flow of coolant circulation. Cylinders 7 & 8 tend to overheat more due to lack of coolant flow thru the back portion of the drivers head.

This is the cooling mod installed on my car by MartyO's shop last year. This is the only cooling mod that can be done with the motor in the car, although the upper intake and cowl have to come out as I recall. I believe the other mods require the motor to come out due to the fittings being installed on the back of the cylinder heads. Keep in mind this mod is recommended for ALL 4.6L 4V motors going back to 1999 as I recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQICG_zpPOw

and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dyPfWWwPTc
    Last edited by Invective; 09-01-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

^^^^ Not 100 percent accurate.
    You can install a James Hell cooling mod with the motor in place.

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    ^^^^ Not 100 percent accurate.
    You can install a James Hell cooling mod with the motor in place.

We're waiting...

A couple of interesting reads on the subject from yesteryear.

https://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...oling-mod.html

and:

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...he-cooling-mod
    Last edited by Invective; 09-01-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

If your going to post "interesting reads from yesteryear" at least take the time to make sure your truly educating someone.

The posts from thechicagogarage.com and from mm.net are mine... I wrote them....I successfully designed the first 5/8" cooling mod that was SC friendly.

Again, your incorrect when you say its the only cooling mod that can be installed with the engine in the car.

Sheesh....

If your going to post "interesting reads from yesteryear" at least take the time to make sure your truly educating someone.

The posts from thechicagogarage.com and from mm.net are mine... I wrote them....I successfully designed the first 5/8" cooling mod that was SC friendly.

Again, your incorrect when you say its the only cooling mod that can be installed with the engine in the car.

Sheesh....

You're not really stating anything to move the discussion forward - just 'blustering' for whatever reason. Is it a fair statement to say the 'James Hell Cooling Mod' is related to the 'Bob Piss Cooling Mod'? I'm well aware of the selected contents as search terms 'musclemerc cooling mod' brought them to my attention, as it did to your attention.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Not blustering at all. I've been around for a long time, and wrote many threads. I speak only from my experience, and I do my best to not post misleading or incorrect information.

The info you posted is without a doubt, not true. You'd know that if you had the wiper cowl removed and looked at the back of the cylinder heads.

I'll try this again with you.

You can install any rear head cooling mod with the engine in the car.

Not blustering at all. I've been around for a long time, and wrote many threads. I speak only from my experience, and I do my best to not post misleading or incorrect information.

The info you posted is without a doubt, not true. You'd know that if you had the wiper cowl removed and looked at the back of the cylinder heads.

I'll try this again with you.

You can install any rear head cooling mod with the engine in the car.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm well aware the cooling mod type as shown in the op can be installed with the motor in the car.

Can the following type be installed with the motor in the car? I also recall a reference to pulling the transmission and leaving the motor in the car to reach the back of the cylinder heads.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm well aware the cooling mod type as shown in the op can be installed with the motor in the car.

Can the following type be installed with the motor in the car? I also recall a reference to pulling the transmission and leaving the motor in the car to reach the back of the cylinder heads.

Yes. I suggest not passing info that you have no actual first hand knowledge of or at minimum not engage with someone who does. You can read and educate yourself all you want but keep in mind a good portion of that will be from others who haven’t actually done the work themselves but gave “opinions”.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I take the coolant from the hottest point and send it to the radiator to be cooled, instead of sending the hot coolant back to the water pump to be redistributed through the engine.
    Heater core supply is taken from a fitting at the rear of pass head, return goes under intake just like stock.
    I keep the two systems separate and it works like a charm.
    Using on3 kit and some other custom fittings.
    Ex Panther Owner

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Yes. I suggest not passing info that you have no actual first hand knowledge of or at minimum not engage with someone who does. You can read and educate yourself all you want but keep in mind a good portion of that will be from others who haven’t actually done the work themselves but gave “opinions”.

Unfortunately, you're just 'parroting' musclemerc, also failing to move the discussion forward. Why? I offered recollections and observations, nothing else. After refreshing my thoughts from reading substantial archives, primarily from here, I've concluded:

1. Top mounted 'kit' is installed after removing intake and cowl - common knowledge. Looking at musclemerc's images posted to the Chicago Garage board, his kit is/was similar - congratulations to musclemerc.

2. Rear mounted kit is more problematic. While it's desirable to have the motor out or transmission removed, it can be done depending on the skill and manual dexterity of the person doing the install due to the high level of difficulty.

Many interesting reads for sure.

Another rear kit example for reference.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Would you stop posting examples. Trust me when i say were well aware of what a rear cooling mod looks like. How can anyone move a discussion forward when you continue to post false information? I never said the transmission has to be removed. Will it make the install easier? Yes, but it can in fact be done with the transmission in place.

You dont turn wrenches, have no mechanical aptitude but continue to post as if your well versed in modding a Marauder.

Please stop... At this point your embarrassing yourself

Quote Originally Posted by jay87lx View Post
    I know I have the title wrong but have seen articles about a cooling mod located at the rear of the cylinder head on passengers side.
    Correct term for what I am referring to?
    what are the symptoms or issues that will arise before the mod is done??
    Link to mod?
    Getting back to the OP question.................
    Most cooling mods will connect the drivers side and passenger side heads and the heater core.

The 4V's drivers side head had poorly designed cooling allowing the hot coolant no way to recirculate. Tihs could cause dropped valve seats, burned valves etc.

The cooling mod allows a way for the coolant to recirculate. It also makes the system easier to "burp", in my experience.

IMHO, I'd recommend every 4V have the mod done.

BTW.... I have an original DR cooling mod installed by DR......
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Would you stop posting examples. Trust me when i say were well aware of what a rear cooling mod looks like. How can anyone move a discussion forward when you continue to post false information? I never said the transmission has to be removed. Will it make the install easier? Yes, but it can in fact be done with the transmission in place.

You dont turn wrenches, have no mechanical aptitude but continue to post as if your well versed in modding a Marauder.

Please stop... At this point your embarrassing yourself

I NEVER once denigrated anyone, their reputation or their achievements. In the worst case scenario, it's debatable that I posted false info. No, I'm not part of the defined, often self absorbed clique that dominates this board, for better or worse.

Last edited by Invective; 09-03-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information