Thread: How do I remove Map & Dome light lenses from overhead console?

How do I remove Map & Dome light lenses from overhead console?

I could get them out but I would prefer not to find out the hard way that I did it wrong. I hate breaking clips.

Thanks,
    Jay
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

02 SL500 Silver Arrow - first aid kit delete, maybe for sale

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Depends on whether it is the long or short overhead console:

For vehicles with the long console with sunglass storage compartment.
    1) Disconnect battery ground cable. ( I did not do this step, did not want to possibly lose my DR PCM flash)
    2) Remove screw at the front of console.
    3) Open sunglass storage compartment and remove two screws.
    4) Disengage the six clip attachments by first pulling down on the front end of the overhead console. ( I used a flat flexible metal putty knife to get started and not damage the fabric) Remove the overhead console.
    * Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    5) To install, reverse the removal procedure.

For vehicles with roof opening panel

1) Disconnect battery ground cable.
    2) CAUTION: The overhead console bracket is supported by the headliner. Failure to follow the removal procedure will damage the headliner!!
    Support the headliner at the rear corner of the overhead console and pull down on that corner to remove the overhead console.
    * Disconnect the electrical connectors
    3) To, install, reverse the removal procedure.

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...head%20console

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OcW2me5o4w

I have the long console. No sunroof.

To remove the lenses the console must be removed?
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Do you mean the bulbs? Then yes, you need to remove the console.

Yes to access the bulbs. Ok. I really didn't guess that.

Yes, you need to remove the overhead console to access the map lights. The rear reading light, in the long overhead console, has a removable lens.

No need to disconnect the battery.

If you are going to replace the bulbs I'd recommend LED's. Much brighter and little to no heat.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I just ordered these for the dome and rear map lights. May be too bright for those spots as it contains (9) 3030 emitters. May get one in white for the trunk as it is hard to get a bulb brighter then the stock 578.

61m9mgWRF8L._SL1000_.jpg

I really appreciate both of you posting up about removing the console. Otherwise I likely would have broken the lens.

Some feedback on these (9) 3030 led modules. They are bright. Too bright imo for the rear map lights. Ok for the dome light. What I am not happy with is the color of the blue. It is more of an ice blue than a deep blue.
    So I am looking for some regular/deep blue festoon units.

I will get some of the (9) 3030 in white for trunk lights etc. should be great there. Will see about durability.

Blog Entries
    I took the short overhead console down already but how do you take out bulbs..... Does it turn or do you pull on white plastic clip or something I've tried both but didn't want to break the plug

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I took the short overhead console down already but how do you take out bulbs..... Does it turn or do you pull on white plastic clip or something I've tried both but didn't want to break the plug
    Twist the sockets. Usually about a 1/4 turn.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thread Information