Attempting to upgrade my insecure wifi-wireless home security system with multiple cameras provided by a well known national security company. $2,000 invested in equipment at present. $65 per month for monitoring and 'equipment protection'. For a system that has allowed bad actors to burglarize and vandalize the property, all the time registering 'No Activity'. Attempting to upgrade to a 'commercial grade' wired/cabled, IP-DVR home security system offered through the same national vendor. Sales Consultant finally showed up on a second attempt - completely inept and with a poor attitude. Said he would get back to me with a proposal.

Sales Consultant phoned and emailed me back today with an incomplete proposal - $6,000! I quickly ran the numbers for the retail prices of identical components and also included the components missing from the proposal: $1,350. Other than running additional cable, installation charges should be minimal. No line item for installation, only a line item for 'tax on installation'.

I seem to be only having serious problems when away for extended periods although at least 4 cars belonging to various actors (including neighbors) have become invisible to the cameras: cameras react by 'time shifting' and freezing whenever the actors come within range - I actually see this on the live feed, and when I go back to check for recorded activity - nothing. Cameras will typically restart on their own after a minute or so, but I did have two 'events' where the entire camera system went down for 10 days while I was away late last fall, and again for about 6 hours late last winter, during a 'party'(?) being held next door - camera system restarted about a half hour after the 'party' concluded. During mid-spring, a Vendor tech was present when the same actor neighbor drove up, spoofing the camera system until he entered his house, whereupon the entire system 'jammed' and had to be restarted remotely - tech claimed he had never witnessed this before.

There is a 4th actor who frequents the area as he owns/rents several residential properties nearby, including a major commercial property a short distance away - all of the minor 'actors' rent residential properties from the property owner actor. He (property owner actor) has stated a number of times that he wanted my property but never makes an offer as he typically buys and rents 'distressed properties'. I'm retired on worker's comp disability and nearly everything is paid for (including house) - have no intention of going anywhere for the forseable future.

I'm just seeking others' experiences with modern home security systems - good and bad. Hoping that upgrading to a 'commercial grade' wired system will solve my 'security system' issues but I really know little about how these systems operate. Any insight would be appreciated.