Ford racing sells the pinion flange. Part #: M-4851-B
    Hmm I might get that one, if it’s better quality
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Webasto Aftermarket Moonroof
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints
    Fresh Black Paint & PVD Chrome

Stainless Works Headers & Full Cat Mandrel Exhaust System w/Magnaflow 11229 Mufflers, Martyo Tune & Coolant Mod, Steeda UDP, Stewart WP, JLT CAI & Catch Can, J-Mod, UHaul Pan, Rebuild 4R70W, Dynotech 4' 6061, Forced Lube Mod, 31 Ford Spline Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier w/CF Clutchs, Ford Racing 4.10, TA Girdle & Stud Kit, Carfixer Alignment & SPC Camber Bolts, Ridetech HQ Front Coilovers w/ADTR extended bracket & ADTR Rear HQ Shocks, Arnott P2936 A/C & A-2220 Bags, Gorilla Lock, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Tires, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link, Addco F/R Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines, AutoMeter Digital Oil & Volt Gauge, Full VLED Interior/Exterior, Alpine ILX-507, PKG-M780 Headrest Monitors, MRP-F300, R-S65C.2 & R-S68 Speakers, HCE-C1100 & KTX-C10LP Camera System, Viper DS4 & DSM550 GPS SmartStart System, Yellow Optima, BIG III & 200 Amps Alt

ABS Light Came on

Update

I took the car to my local Mechanic to do the install. Once he opened the rear end cover, he noticed the carrier shims were out of place and backed up or either ripped. Also metal shavings were visible from the carrier shims. It seemed like the TA Girdle Rear End cover helped so the carriers shims wouldn’t make contact with the TA pan.

The kit I used was the m4210c3 Ford Racing Master Gear Kit. I never heard no noise or felt anything strange in the rear end. Now it makes me wonder how long i had been driving with this issue.

My Rear end was rebuilt back in 2012 at 110k miles. Now the Car is at 193k and this is the first time it’s been opened. Royal Purple Gear Oil 75-90 Gear Oil was used by Han when he rebuilt my rear end in 2012. I also had new 31 Spline Ford Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier with CF Cluths. 410 Ford Racing Gears, m4210c3 Master Kit and TA Girdle and stud kit.

My local mechanic said im very lucky the ABS light came on so I can check the rear end and that my rear end didn’t explode. We put the cover back on and filled the gear oil. I limped it back home because I don’t have the right shims available and it would take a week for the parts to get here.

I guess now my biggest concern is if my axle shafts are toast. My axle shaft seals didn’t leak. Reason why I wanted to change them was just for extra security. It’s just my pinion seal that’s visible with the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chi Stallion; 10-04-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints

Stainless Works Headers & Full Cat Mandrel Exhaust System w/Magnaflow 11229 Mufflers, Martyo Tune & Coolant Mod, Steeda UDP, Stewart WP, JLT CAI & Catch Can, J-Mod, UHaul Pan, Rebuild 4R70W, Dynotech 4' 6061, Forced Lube Mod, 31 Ford Spline Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier w/CF Clutchs, Ford Racing 4.10, TA Girdle & Stud Kit, Carfixer Alignment & SPC Camber Bolts, Ridetech HQ Front Coilovers w/ADTR extended bracket & ADTR Rear HQ Shocks, Arnott P2936 A/C & A-2220 Bags, Gorilla Lock, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Tires, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link, Addco F/R Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines, AutoMeter Digital Oil & Volt Gauge, Full VLED Interior/Exterior, Alpine ILX-507, PKG-M780 Headrest Monitors, MRP-F300, R-S65C.2 & R-S68 Speakers, HCE-C1100 & KTX-C10LP Camera System, Viper DS4 & DSM550 GPS SmartStart System, Yellow Optima, BIG III & 200 Amps Alt

It’s not at all uncommon to see the spacers move. Same goes for chewed up spider gears and leaky pinion seals. These rear ends don’t seem to last at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi Stallion View Post
    Update

I took the car to my local Mechanic to do the install. Once he opened the rear end cover, he noticed the carrier shims were out of place and backed up or either ripped. Also metal shavings were visible from the carrier shims. It seemed like the TA Girdle Rear End cover helped so the carriers shims wouldn’t make contact with the TA pan.

The kit I used was the m4210c3 Ford Racing Master Gear Kit. I never heard no noise or felt anything strange in the rear end. Now it makes me wonder how long i had been driving with this issue.

My Rear end was rebuilt back in 2012 at 110k miles. Now the Car is at 193k and this is the first time it’s been opened. Royal Purple Gear Oil 75-90 Gear Oil was used by Han when he rebuilt my rear end in 2012. I also had new 31 Spline Ford Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier with CF Cluths. 410 Ford Racing Gears, m4210c3 Master Kit and TA Girdle and stud kit.

My local mechanic said im very lucky the ABS light came on so I can check the rear end and that my rear end didn’t explode. We put the cover back on and filled the gear oil. I limped it back home because I don’t have the right shims available and it would take a week for the parts to get here.

I guess now my biggest concern is if my axle shafts are toast. My axle shaft seals didn’t leak. Reason why I wanted to change them was just for extra security. It’s just my pinion seal that’s visible with the leak.

Get rid of the shim packs & replace with 1-piece solid shims.

Same thing happened to Joe's DTR a while back.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    Get rid of the shim packs & replace with 1-piece solid shims.

Same thing happened to Joe's DTR a while back.
    Do you know the part # I should get
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints

Do you know the part # I should get
    Get the exact measurement if each shimpack thickness.

Go to Ford parts and get the 2 solid shims you need.

If they do diff work they'll stock an assortment.

I had to order 1 of the 2 I needed.

Install & measure backlash.

If off, get the 2 shims needed to shift the carrier the required amount.

Ford has a chart somewhere (I can't find my copy) that tells you the shims required to make the required adjustment left or right to dial in the backlash.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

ABS Light Came on

Update

Axle shafts got replaced with new Ford 31 Spline, Timken axle bearings and pinion bearings, shims got replaced with 1 piece solid shims. Motorcraft new axle seals and pinion seal. Also the whole rear end was cleaned up before the install so no metal shavings are left. My 4.10 ring and pinion gear was fine also was the 31 spline carrier.

Big thanks to the Man the Myth the Legend Han @ Deans Performance.

Last edited by Chi Stallion; 10-24-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints

I forgot to mention the abs light is still on with the new abs sensors. Do I need a special scanner to turn it off ?
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints

My ford tech that’s going to do my 31 spline 4.10 upgrade told me definitely don’t use those shims provided in those kits that they are junk. He also advised against everything ford Motorsport as its not OEM quality. My build consists of everything from the axle seal to axle seal OEM ford including the brand new ford gear set. Furthermore, he told me he would acquire the correct side shims from his parts department.

OEM bearings are koyo btw.

If the ABS light is on and there are no codes, or scanners are not able to connect to the ABS system, it is most likely that your ABS module is bad. You can remove it and send it out to be repaired.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    It’s not at all uncommon to see the spacers move. Same goes for chewed up spider gears and leaky pinion seals. These rear ends don’t seem to last at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I dunno. Mine has 230k on it and my explorer had 260k on it. Ford 8.8s have been known to be pretty solid rear ends.

ABS Light Came on

Just a heads up I was trying to remove the abs module earlier and when I removed the jlt cold air intake I noticed the filter cover was rubbing against one of the abs lines. I don’t see any visible leaks but it looks very corrosive and about to crack.

300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints

Just a heads up I was trying to remove the abs module earlier and when I removed the jlt cold air intake I noticed the filter cover was rubbing against one of the abs lines. I don’t see any visible leaks but it looks very corrosive and about to crack.

eeeek! Thanks for this - glad you caught it when you did.

Last edited by Invective; 11-09-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

I really can’t blame nobody but myself. When I installed a new JLT filter back in June, I was a bit bothered by the filter rubbing against the windshield washer reservoir, so I mounted the filter cover on a angle which sat directly on top of the abs brake line. Stupid careless mistake on my end.
    Only positive thing is I caught it before the line cracked and started leaking. I went to my local Ford dealer to harass the parts guy and see if that brake line is in the parts inventory but the parts department was closed. I have a feeling its gona be discontinued.

300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints

Update

Looks like the ABS nightmare is finally coming to an end. After having the abs module sent out and repaired at module repair pro, the light still was on after the repair. So my mechanic checked the wiring connection leading to the driver side rear abs sensor. No connection looks like a wire got pinched somewhere. So looks like running a new wire to the connection is the best option. Glad the nightmare is over.

IMG_9694.jpg

300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information