Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob questions

Noob questions

After years of admiring from afar, I recently bought a 2003 Marauder with 45,000 miles on it as a way to honor my grandfather (who loved them) who passed recently.

I have a couple questions, though:

1) What sizes are the speakers? Are they the typical Ford 6x8? What size is the factory sub?

2) I'm going to be doing a custom exhaust setup and want to replace the resonated tips, but want something that looks as close to factory as possible. Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedMarauder View Post
    After years of admiring from afar, I recently bought a 2003 Marauder with 45,000 miles on it as a way to honor my grandfather (who loved them) who passed recently.

1) What sizes are the speakers? Are they the typical Ford 6x8? What size is the factory sub?

2) I'm going to be doing a custom exhaust setup and want to replace the resonated tips, but want something that looks as close to factory as possible. Recommendations?
    I advise to just maintain the car as stock instead of trashing it up, until you gain some perspective. Head Unit for the Symphonic Premium Sound System is Alpine, thinking the optional cd changer, subwoofer are too. A 17yo car can be a challenge to maintain, especially one as complex as the Marauder. Low mileage is good - my 2004 just turned 48k miles. Recent compression check revealed #4 was down to 150psi, still above the 140psi service limit. Rear Cylinder Head Crossover Cooling Modification is the first mod I would perform, if it hasn't been performed already. Cylinder Head #8 (driver's side rear) isn't cooled adequately in stock form - the mod corrects this. Google search it and plenty of info here on this website. Many people like myself have loved these cars from their (4th gen) introduction in 2002. My car from its last cleanup a few weeks back.

Last edited by Invective; 10-05-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedMarauder View Post

Yes, the speakers are the typical Ford 5x7/6x8 sizes. Many here have tries various coaxial sizes. I used components in my first Marauder and loved them.

Custom is generally the way to go and in my experience was actually cheaper than most pre-fab options. The rear set of cats can be removed with good sound effect. The mufflers can be redone with varying effect (I used magnaflow before, not sure what I'll use next on my new to me vehicle.)

***Invective has a point...take your time: measure twice/cut once approach will result in no regrets***

Enjoy the ride baby!!!
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

First mod if the car is totally stock is to call Marty at Mo's Speed Shop (site sponsor) and get a tune for the car. Worry about the other stuff later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    First mod if the car is totally stock is to call Marty at Mo's Speed Shop (site sponsor) and get a tune for the car. Worry about the other stuff later.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!! It will be the best $$$ you ever spend on the car. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

I believe stock sub is 6.5
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    #3 on that
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Blog Entries
    Check on the defects such as Lighting Control Module and Rear axles.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    I believe stock sub is junk
    Fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Yeah, typical paper cone 6x8s in all four corners, the sub is 6.5"
    Any aftermarket speakers will make a world of difference, I used infinity for the speakers and jl for the sub. The sub is more work than a drop-in because of the enclosure shape and size of the magnet on aftermarket subs. Most will hit the curved side of the sub box but you can heatgun and press it out.
    "Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod! "

Stock speakers are 6x8's and the sub is a 6.5". I think people used to replace the factory sub with an infinity basslink setup for a simple upgrade. I had swapped in a new 6.5" sub with a new amp into my box as well as filling it with polyfill, it made an improvement but I don't know if I'd bother doing it again. Was just a bit of an experiment.

The factory tips are 26" long with a 3.5" diamater and a 30 degree roll cut. Most of the aftermarket tips you'll find are between 18-22" long and normally you'll see the end of the tip and where its welded to the pipe sticking out of the bumper.

Honestly you're better off just leaving the stock tips on, they don't dampen that much noise.

What exactly are your plans for this car? Its better to have a clear direction on where you want to go before you start replacing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    A 17yo car can be a challenge to maintain, especially one as complex as the Marauder.
    I would love to hear what on these cars is so complex, your 2005 Mustang has more technology than your Marauder, let alone that Ranger.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

I have new stock MM tips that are non-resonated for sale.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

The best mods (in my opinion) are CAI, 4.10 gears, Marty's tune, 2nd cat delete. If your wallet is big enough: Stainless Works Headers and Exhaust and then Boost!
    If you are just starting out, then do the 4.10 gears and Marty's tune and you will be very happy. Then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post

I would love to hear what on these cars is so complex, your 2005 Mustang has more technology than your Marauder, let alone that Ranger.

Hmmm...where do I start? Recalling my HS days - we usually wanted to change out the radio, wheels and exhaust first, no questions asked. Perfectly good cars turned into sht within 6 months. OP is clearly brand new to Marauder (and cars in general?). Air Suspension, EATC for starters.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    OP is clearly brand new to Marauder (and cars in general?). Air Suspension, EATC for starters.
    New to the Marauder, yes. New to cars with finicky parts, no. My past 3 cars have been a 2004 Lincoln LS V8, a 2010 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, and a 2014 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost. I currently own (along with the Marauder) a 2016 Ford Edge Sport. The Lincoln LS cost me more money to fix the more complex parts than I'd care to admit. I was just asking for some specs of some components. I went into this eyes wide open. It's 16 years old. Things are going to break. Parts are becoming scarce. I have every maintenance record for the car from the past 16 years. It was garage-kept until sold. I've done my homework.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information