Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheating question

Overheating question

So some of you may have seen my post about me buying an 04 silver birch with 75k miles sight unseen from Texas. It was delivered to my home in Michigan a couple weeks ago. Been busy with work and unfortunately my father has been ill so I haven’t had much time to fool with the car or even unsure it and drive it. I only transferred the title obviously

Anyways I just got in it and drove it around for less than 10 minutes. Going around a few blocks. Only got up to about 40 mph. I noticed the rpm gauge not working but I think it was initially when I got in the car, that’s probably not relevant to my question but I noticed the heat not working and then when I was getting back home the temp gauge was reading hot. I turned the car off and popped the hood and heard some ticking coming from the engine so I think it was in fact overheating. When I first got the car I did the same thing, drove it around a few blocks and noticed the heat took forever to start kicking in hot. It did start blowing hot after about 10 minutes. I’m not sure if I paid attention if the temp gauge got hot or not that time. Also I did the ecu test and everything checked out fine so no stuck blend door motor

I’m not car expert by any means but does this simply mean that I need to replace my thermostat and problem solved or do I have a more serious problem on my hands? I will check the coolant level tomorrow. By the way I don’t work on cars so if have to have someone change the thermostat. Thanks in advance for any help. I hope I didn’t just take someone else’s problem off their hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MotorCity; 10-07-2019 at 10:06 PM.

It sounds to me like you might be really low on coolant, open the crossover tube and see if you can see coolant inside. When my COT was empty I'd have no heat for a while and the temp would rapidly spike up until the T-stat eventually opened and got things flowing. I think your system is really low.

If it is, you're going to elevate the front of the car slightly, fill the system, let it run and burp, and keep topping it off. Make sure it gets up to temp but in your case make sure it isn't overheating either. Keep the heat on full blast. Once it levels out and stops taking coolant, let the car sit for a few hours and get completely cold. Repeat the process and make sure it won't take anymore.

https://reischeperformance.com/refill.html

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

I had overheating issues, check that crossover...It most likely needs to be burped as stated above. Good luck.

Most likely a burp is needed.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Most owners not aware the coolant system has a burping procedure to fix air trapped. Read this link for steps to do it.

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...Burp-Procedure
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Overheating question

Thank you guys for the reply’s

Dumb question but just to confirm, this is the crossover cap correct?

I don’t know what kind of coolant or mix is already in there. What kind do u guys recommend putting in and also the reservoir seams to be full

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCity View Post
    So some of you may have seen my post about me buying an 04 silver birch with 75k miles sight unseen from Texas. I hope I didn’t just take someone else’s problem off their hands

I remember this one - guy's wife drove it to church on sundays?!?! Looked like she bumped into everything in the parking lot. It's fixable unless there's more you aren't telling us. Can't imagine buying a car without putting my hands on it first.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Thank you guys for the reply’s

Dumb question but just to confirm, this is the crossover cap correct?
    You sir are correct, that is the coolant crossover cap.
    2004 Black Marauder: #2237 Born on 4/1/2004

Eaton Swapped and a bunch of other goodies!

Maybe the previous owner had the thermostat replaced. From my experience, some web sites say the grand marquis thermostat is the same as the Marauder. And that is incorrect. Maybe he had the incorrect thermostat put in. They did that to me and my car kept overheating. The correct Marauder thermostat has to have the bypass.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

in my experiences its usually the system needs to be burped as well

It would help if you use an impact to get that cap off at least thats the only way mine was coming off the first time.

I had to put 2 gallons in mine one day when my reservoir hose came disconnected and I lost some coolant (reservoir was still full too).
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Thanks again

I know u can’t diagnose this over the internet but how likely do you guys think this can be a bad head gasket? It overheated in less than 10 minutes

Are you blowing white smoke out tail pipe?..air pocket prohibits coolant to flow.. overheats very quick. Try the most likely first...
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Overheating question

No white smoke out the tail pipe. Guess I’m thinking the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCity View Post
    No white smoke out the tail pipe. Guess I’m thinking the worst.

You are, it really most likely is just the system being low.

These cars take Motorcraft Gold (Zerex G05 50/50 mix is perfectly fine) from the factory.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

I just looked in the crossover tube and see no coolant at all.

In the end, should the crossover tube be full to the cap?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information