Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheating question

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCity View Post
    I just looked in the crossover tube and see no coolant at all.

In the end, should the crossover tube be full to the cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Odd question? Top off and 'burp system' as discussed previously. All a bit strange, from the time you posted images of the car in Texas, the descriptions-itinerary, right through to today.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Overheating question

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Odd question? Top off and 'burp system' as discussed previously. All a bit strange, from the time you posted images of the car in Texas, the descriptions-itinerary, right through to today.

I’m not sure what u think is so strange? Maybe the only strange thing is that auto maintenance is not my expertise?

Regarding filling the crossover tube I was under the impression that you need to fill the tube with coolant till it takes no more and then there is two inches of coolant sitting in the funnel and then start the engine. I put in about one liter of coolant through the tube and it was still taking more

I just don’t think I’m doing something right. How long should u leave the engine started? That guy at advanced auto parts said about 60 seconds but how would that get up to operating temp

Last edited by MotorCity; 10-10-2019 at 11:50 AM.

You fill the funnel up, keep it full, and squeeze the upper hose a bunch of times to release air out of the tube thru the funnel, car should be raised up a bit in the front too. Heat on and run it a good 15mins or so. It's worked everytime for Me that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Overheating question

Quote Originally Posted by 03Merc View Post
    You fill the funnel up, keep it full, and squeeze the upper hose a bunch of times to release air out of the tube thru the funnel, car should be raised up a bit in the front too. Heat on and run it a good 15mins or so. It's worked everytime for Me that way.

Ok what I did was stick the funnel in there with car not started. Filled the funnel the funnel would keep emptying because the coolant was going into the crossover tube. It took over a liter. I did start the car and squeezed the radiator hose and filled some more. I did not let the car run for 15 minutes though. I will have to maybe try again.

I’m not sure why my question earlier seamed “strange” but I was asking how much coolant should be in the crossover tube? Is it suppose to be basically full to the cap?

Also is it ok if it overflows when the crossover tube is full and I have some coolant inside the funnel? Sorry maybe I am making this more complicated than it is. I just don’t have much confidence when I barely know what I’m doing but I think I have it just about down

Last edited by MotorCity; 10-10-2019 at 10:21 PM.

I’m not sure why my question earlier seamed “strange” but I was asking how much coolant should be in the crossover tube? Is it suppose to be basically full to the cap? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, you want to finish the job with the COT full and no air. There should be zero air in the system.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Overheating question

Ok what I did was stick the funnel in there with car not started. Filled the funnel the funnel would keep emptying because the coolant was going into the crossover tube. It took over a liter. I did start the car and squeezed the radiator hose and filled some more. I did. It run the car for 15 minutes though. I will have to maybe try again.

I’m not sure why my question earlier seamed “strange” but I was asking how much coolant should be in the crossover tube? Is it suppose to be basically full to the cap?

Also is it ok if it overflows when the crossover tube is full and I have some coolant inside the funnel? Sorry maybe I am making this more complicated than it is. I just don’t have much confidence when I barely know what I’m doing but I think I have it just about down

Fill it all the way up, keep it full, run it 15-20 mins, shut it down remove funnel even if it's full and close the COT.

Wait a good hour or so, longer the better.....do not start the car or open the reservoir cap. Only open the COT CAP and fill it all the way up with coolant. Should be fine after that.

Last edited by 03Merc; 10-10-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Overheating question

One last question then I’ll leave you guys alone haha. So I filled the cot with coolant then I ran the car with two inches of coolant in the funnel but I ran the car for less than 10 minutes, I. That time I did squeeze the radiator hose to let out trapped air. I came back out about a half hour later and topped off the coolant. It didn’t need much more. This time I left the cap off as directed but it will be 8 hours since by the time I get home from work. When I get home I’m going to check the fluid and top if needed.

Since I might of not ran the car long enough should I repeat this whole thing over again? If I have no heat does that indicate this did not work? Obviously If it overheats then I’ll know it did not work or I have another issue

Edit: when I get home I’m also going to take it on the same drive I did when it overheated to see what it does

One last question then I’ll leave you guys alone haha. So I filled the cot with coolant then I ran the car with two inches of coolant in the funnel but I ran the car for less than 10 minutes, I. That time I did squeeze the radiator hose to let out trapped air. I came back out about a half hour later and topped off the coolant. It didn’t need much more. This time I left the cap off as directed but it will be 8 hours since by the time I get home from work. When I get home I’m going to check the fluid and top if needed.

Since I might of not ran the car long enough should I repeat this whole thing over again? If I have no heat does that indicate this did not work? Obviously If it overheats then I’ll know it did not work or I have another issue

You're thinking too much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Merc View Post
    You're thinking too much about it.

Haha I’m an idiot, don’t mind me.

Overheating question

So I just got home from work. Topped the coolant off through the cot cap. It took a bit more.

Drove the car for a total of about 15 minutes, same route I drove last time plus a little longer and then parked and let it idle for another 5-10 mins. My heat is back and no overheating.

You guys are awesome. Is it safe to say that this will not overheat on a 30 mile trip or any distance for that matter?

All in all it took 2 quarts total through the crossover tube. The reservoir was full all along.

I’m wondering why the crossover tube was so low? Any ideas? I’m just wondering now if it’s overheated on the last owner and if they ever caused any damage

Can’t explain how much I appreciate you guys right now

And also I lied in the previous post, that wasn’t my last question. In the bulletin is states to top it off one more time the next day which would be tomorrow. Should I do that? Now I’m worried about doing that in case air gets back into it when it’s doing fine as of now

Last edited by MotorCity; 10-10-2019 at 10:27 PM.

You can top it off as much as You want when it's cold until that tube is full when You open it, then You're done. You would have to pressure test the system to find signs of a leak if there is one. Good luck with it!

I’d leave it be unless it were to act up down the road.

I myself simply exercise every single hose including the heater core for 5-10 minutes with the engine off and the funnel in place until no more air bubbles. Cap it off, start it up and never look back. Never once an issue and zero mess.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Blog Entries
    Be aware the OEM gauge moves starting at ~240*.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

on my 03 marauder the gauge stays on cold til about 130 or so. It then sits just above middle at 212 degrees (the perfect temp). It goes up to the red at 240 degrees
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Steaming cars from the bygone era.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey