View Poll Results: are you interested in a intake for the M122 style Super chargers?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely interested

1 25.00%
  • No, don't want the extra power

3 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M122 Super Charger intake

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

M122 Super Charger intake

Hi Guys,

Have been looking here and there and have not found anyone or anywhere that does a M122 conversion to our motors. I actually talked to the Department of Boost Tech guys today and expressed my interest in this. Given that there are lot of GT500 Superchargers running around out there it only makes sense.

Question is, is anyone else interested in an intake for this?

Cheers!
    2004 Marauder
    2011 Shelby GT500 (Super Snake)
    2008 Ram 3500 Mega cab Cummins
    1971 Torino GT BB
    1970 Torino cpe BB
    1969 Fairlane Formal 428cj
    1968 Fairlane Formal 428PI
    3 Bronco II's
    1990 5 ton BMY M939 "Bobbed"
    1974 Land cruiser BJ40
    I think I have too many cars!

Did you look at Cobra Engineering? They make an adapter plate
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Yes I did, but is centered around the cobra specifically, our intakes (heads ) are a bit different than the terminators.
    Last edited by Eastern_Front; 10-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    2004 Marauder
    1971 Torino GT BB
    1970 Torino cpe BB
    3 Bronco II's
    1974 Land cruiser BJ40

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern_Front View Post
    Yes I did, but is centered around the cobra specifically, our intakes (heads ) are a bit different than the terminators.

Can you clarify what about the 03-04 C heads found on a Marauder is different from the 03-04 C heads found on a terminator? In 17 years this is new information to a lot of us.

Drac is running a M122 with the cobra engineering adapter on his P71

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...php?15848-drac

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Navigator98+ Lincoln Navigator)
    These5.4L DOHC heads feature essentially the same intake port design as Cheads, however they have a much larger intake port volume than 4.6Lcastings. Despite the fact these heads feature a relatively smallexhaust port, the extra intake port volume could be very beneficialin helping fill a motor of greater displacement—think 5.4L. Expectslightly better midrange torque, and sub 8000rpm horsepowerproduction than even C heads, however the larger intake port sizeleaves a slim selection of intakes to choose from when utilized on a4.6L block. Forced induction fans take note, Navigator exhaust portsfeature a thicker exhaust divider (while keeping the same overallexhaust port size as B,C, and FR500 heads) that allows coolant tocirculate through this vital area. Conversely however, the largerdivider can also hurt flow by utilizing additional space in theport.
    Thereal downside to Navigator heads, when used on a 4.6L based motor, isthe severe limitation they impose on intake selection. The physicallylarger 5.4L heads don’t leave a lot of room (when installed on a4.6L block) between them for an intake plenum to sit—though they dobolt right up. Remember that since Navigator intake ports areessentially clones of those of C heads (just on a larger scale), theytoo suffer from the same intake port flaws that plague the earliertumble port design--no short turn or floor in the throat of theintake port.
    TheBottom Line: The extra port volume the Navi’s possess could be verybeneficial in filling a motor with greater than 281 cubic inches ofdisplacement, or in high rpm N/A street/strip or boostedcombinations. Fans of boost should remember the cooled exhaust portdivider. Lack of intake availability is the real downfall of thisotherwise wonderful casting.

StockIntake Choices: None (4.6L), 98+ Navigator(5.4L)
    Aftermarket/ModifiedStock Intake Choices: Al Papitto short runner 99 Cobra (4.6L), sheetmetal
    Navigatorhead dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 53cc, Intake Port Vol.: 184cc,Intake Port Entrance: 2.290”x1.400”, Valves: 37mm Int., 30mmExh.

00Cobra R: (’00 Cobra R)
    CobraR heads are bar none the best Modular heads available today. However,their extremely scare supply makes them both ridiculously hard tofind, and unbelievably expensive.
    Initialperformance results are understandably hard to obtain, however AlPapitto reports that with only 25hrs of port work into the his new‘00R heads, they have already eclipsed the performance of his oldNavigator heads with months of labor in them. These heads featurelarger intake and exhaust ports, +1mm larger exhaust valves, and adry exhaust port divider. Cobra R heads also require the use of aspecific valvetrain not shared with any other modular application duemainly to their overall physically larger size. Al also claims Rheads have too much port volume for a street/strip 4.6L application;only consider them with a larger 5.4L motor or a serious 4.6L raceapplication paired with some form of power adder.
    TheBottom Line: The best heads you can or can’t find for a Modularfour valve motor.
    Youare as likely to come across a set of these Modular “Godfather”heads as you are to be Brittany Spears’ next uterus masseuse.Though based on their performance abilities, you may want to startsaving, just in case…
    StockIntake Choices: None (4.6L), ’00 Cobra R(5.4L)
    Aftermarket/ModifiedStock Intake Choices: Sheet metal
    00Cobra R head dimensions: Combustion Chamber: N/A , Intake Port Vol.:N/A , Intake Port Entrance: 2.370”x1.300”, Valves: 37mm Int. 31mmExh.
    StockIntake Choices: ‘00R
    AftermarketIntake Choices: Sheetmetal.

FR500FRPP)
    Thesole “aftermarket” offering of the bunch, these high flow headsfeature a modified C head intake port combined with the smallest portvolume of the group—it seems Ford meant to design these heads forhigh performance naturally aspirated applications. With the samesmall standard exhaust port as most other DOHC heads you will stillhave to remove a decent amount of material from the exhaust ports.Port entrance shape/size remains identical to C heads so finding anintake isn’t hard. These heads are capable of producing powerbeyond 8000rpm, where earlier versions of the tumble port castingsbegin to lose their luster. FR500 heads are prone to the #6,7, and 8cylinder cooling problems as well. Major intake port differencesbetween these and earlier tumble port heads include a raised intakeport roof, and a real short turn radius that better directs theincoming air into the combustion chamber; not over the valves like inearlier versions of tumble port heads. These heads also feature a drydivider in the exhaust port, which allows for greater flow, but alsohigher temperatures. Though improved, the heads can still use someTLC from a quality porter to smooth the roughly finished and newlyimplemented short turn radius, and the standard exhausttreatment.
    TheBottom Line: Outstanding performance heads, with exceptional low andmid lift flow capability. The FR500s only real fault is that thenewer ’03 DOHC heads provide near identical performance capability(much better on the exhaust side) paired with a cost differentialthat is approximately two-thirds less than the FRPP castings. Still agreat choice for any application, the heads readily pair to a widevariety of stock and aftermarket intakes.
    StockIntake Choices: ‘99/’01 Cobra, ‘03/’04 Mach 1 & Aviator,’03 Marauder, FR500.
    Aftermarket/Modified Stock Intake Choices: Al Papitto short runner/ported‘99/’01 Cobra, MP/Sullivan carb intake, FR500, Aviator.
    FR500head dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 53cc, Intake Port Vol.: 160cc,Intake Port Entrance: 1.960”x1.350”, Valves: 37mm Int., 30mmExh.
    2004 Marauder
    1971 Torino GT BB
    1970 Torino cpe BB
    3 Bronco II's
    1974 Land cruiser BJ40

03DOHC head: (‘03+ Aviator, Marauder, Cobra, Mach 1, Australian Boss260/290)
    Featuringa nearly identical (though 17cc larger in volume due to the fact thatthey are also used on the much larger Australian Boss 260/290 5.4LDOHCs) intake port to the FR500 head, but combining it with a newlydesigned, larger and more rectangular exhaust port, these may be thebest all around DOHC Ford heads ever manufactured. The improvementsmade to the intake port shape over previous years include a raisedport roof and the introduction of a short radius turn in the throatof the intake port that helps assure the incoming air charge findsthe combustion chamber. For those with a forced inductionstreet/strip motor, these are without question the best headsavailable, and as with the FR500s, they should produce great power upto and beyond 8000rpm regardless of application. ’03 DOHC headsalso feature higher quality head castings from the supplier, which isat least partially responsible for the modest increase in flow vs.earlier castings--chalk that up to Ford’s revised quality controlstandards.
    Earlyruns of the ’03 DOHC head fell victim to the same #6,7,8 cylindercoolant flow problems as earlier tumble port castings. In mid ’03Ford made a running revision to the ’03 DOHC heads that allowed formore coolant to circulate through the affected areas. There are noadditional revisions to the ’04 version of this design.
    TheBottom Line: On all accounts these are the best modular four valveheads currently available. They combine the exceptional flow of aslightly larger FR500 intake port with a gigantic new rectangularexhaust port.

StockIntake Choices: ‘99/’01 Cobra, ‘03/’04 Mach 1 & Aviator,’03 Marauder, FR500.
    Aftermarket/ModifiedStock Intake Choices: Al Papitto short runner/ported ‘99/’01Cobra, MP/Sullivan carb intake, FR500, Aviator.
    03DOHC head dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 52cc, Intake Port Vol.:177cc, Intake Port Entrance: 1.960”x1.350”, Valves: 37mm Int.,30mm Exh.
    2004 Marauder
    1971 Torino GT BB
    1970 Torino cpe BB
    3 Bronco II's
    1974 Land cruiser BJ40

I guess I should ask, since I have a Trilogy setup, and a 2004 intake, according to the last paragraph is different from the '03, not sure what the difference is, can the intake from Trilogy work with a M122, or will the Cobra engineering be the only way to go. I noticed the setup by MuscleMerc had to be reworked, I would like to do the change and not modify parts as that tends to compromise the designed integrity.. I am not saying you are having problems when you did your mods but it could especially when torquing the bosses etc.

Also, Finding a good S/C can be a challenge, The M122 and the TVS's as take offs are ok but be wary, if you see lobes with and scratches it a bad thing! The only true way to know is to take long feeler gauges and check the clearances. That would be ok if the guy selling the blower is close by and you don't have to have it shipped across the country.
    2004 Marauder
    1971 Torino GT BB
    1970 Torino cpe BB
    3 Bronco II's
    1974 Land cruiser BJ40

@ MuscleMerc

Not exactly sure what is funny.. everything I have read about the 2004 heads supports what I have said..

If you are running a M122 Supercharger on your "Stock" heads then I will retract everything, documentation is on my side so far.
    Last edited by Eastern_Front; 10-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    2004 Marauder
    1971 Torino GT BB
    1970 Torino cpe BB
    3 Bronco II's
    1974 Land cruiser BJ40

Yeah your misinformed. Cobraengineering.com is the source.
    James Hell is a good guy and he makes high quality parts.

Edit: there are at least 5 Marauders running a GT500 supercharger

RacerX
    Drac
    Macdombles
    Seneca (built one for another member)
    Musclemerc
    Last edited by musclemerc; 10-09-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Yes. Im running a GT500 TVS with stock Marauder heads.
    My block is a steel Terminator. Forged with low compression

Cobra engineering is tried and proven.... marauder heads are proven to work..plenty of 600-700+ Rwhp marauders out there with stock heads.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

4VHead Info
    ______________________________ __________
    B/SwirlPort: (93-97 Lincoln Mark VIII, pre 99 Lincoln Continental, 96-98Cobra).
    Thefirst and only production Ford head with two (square primary, roundsecondary) intake ports per cylinder, these swirl port castingsarrived first in the ’93 Lincoln Mark VIII. Aptly named, due to theway they promoted the incoming air to swirl into the combustionchambers, much like water running down the drain of a once fullsink.
    Throughthe years these heads have proven themselves to be excellent high rpm(8000rpm+) performers—mainly in power adder applications--sincetheir tremendous combined intake port cross sectional area and volume(when combined, a full 55cc more than any other 4.6L head design)provide for exceptional power production in the upper regions of thetach. Ironically, it’s those same big, beautiful, twin ports thatalso prove to be the B head’s largest inherent design flaw. Theextra intake port size has a tendency to kill low/mid rpm intake portvelocity and power production—hence the use of Ford’s first IMRC(intake manifold runner control) intake on the 96-98 Cobra. Byallowing air to reach only one of a B head’s twin intake valves,velocity, and therefore low/mid range torque production was restoredin situations under 3250rpm. Later head designs are clearly superiorin this regard, which happens to be the one of the most importantconsiderations for those wanting a stout street motor.
    Thereis also some controversy over the single fuel injector/dual intakeport setup. Some claim insufficient air/fuel mixing because of thecompromised design, however, others contest that the ability to make1000+rwhp with only minor porting and some form of power adder istestament to the contrary. Whoever you believe, there is little doubtthat even after as little as 8,000 miles, carbon and other depositstend to form on the secondary ports, causing a major airflowimpedance, as there is no fuel present to clean them. B heads featurea somewhat small stock exhaust port that really hinders flow in poweradder applications. Major gains from porting come with a qualityvalve job, some pocket and lots of exhaust work. There really isn’ta lot of material to remove from the intake ports themselves.
    TheBottom Line: B heads aren’t the best choice for a naturallyaspirated street motor. In order to really shine, they need to bepaired with a power adder and a short block that can sustain highhorsepower and rpm levels. These, the oldest heads, may still be agreat choice for full race applications.

StockIntake Choices: ‘93-‘97 Lincoln Mark VIII, ‘96-‘98Cobra.
    Aftermarket/ModifiedStock Intake Choices: HCI, SSR, PHP.
    Bhead dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 52cc, Intake Port Vol.: 107ccprimary (square), 115cc secondary (round). Intake Port Entrance:1.500x1.300” primary (square), 1.660x1.400” secondary (round),Valves: 37mm Int., 30mm Exh.

C/TumblePort: (99/01 Cobra, 99 Lincoln Continental).
    Thesesecond-generation Ford DOHC heads feature a single intake port percylinder with a smaller cross sectional area that boosts incomingairflow velocity compared to previous years. To understand how Cheads earn their “tumble port” designation, try to imagine anOlympic high diver doing repetitive front somersaults before cleanlyentering a pool at the bottom. This controlled tumble allows forbetter air/fuel mixing than in the earlier swirl port heads. The newport design allowed for both substantial increases in midrangetorque, and superior horsepower production under 8000rpm whencompared with earlier heads. Combustion chamber size is also up2cc.
    Thedesign downfall of C heads, and their larger (5.4L Navigator)cousins, is the relatively flat floor and utter lack of a short turnradius in the throat of the intake port. As such, the incoming airtends to overshoot the valves, making the port think the valves aresmaller than they actually are. Some ‘99/’01 Cobra ownersreported a “ticking/pinging” noise coming from the drivers sidehead of their cars. This is due to insufficient cooling around the#6, 7, and 8 cylinders that allowed the valves to overheat andtherefore seat improperly. Ford remedied the situation by issuing aTSB to remove and replace the affected heads with a version thatfeatured altered coolant flow.
    Cheads feature a small exhaust port much like Ford’s earlier swirlport heads, but unlike in B heads, both the intake (throat region)and exhaust ports can see extensive porting work. However, removingtoo much material from the intake port (mouth region) of a tumbleport head will kill velocity very quickly, so make sure your headporter knows what they are doing!
    TheBottom Line: C heads remain a viable performance upgrade for thoselooking for more punch in their street driven 4.6L four valve,without having to pay new part prices for the ’03 DOHC or FR500versions. The increased midrange torque production and greateroverall area under the power curve (when compared to swirl portheads) will enhance the performance of a street/strip driven(8,000rpm and under) modular regardless of application.

Aftermarket/Modified Stock Intake Choices: Al Papitto short runner/ported‘99/’01 Cobra, MP carb/Sullivan intake, FR500, Aviator
    Chead dimensions: Combustion Chamber: 54cc, Intake Port Vol.: 177cc,Intake Port Entrance: 1.960”x1.350”, Valves: 37mm Int., 30mmExh.
    2004 Marauder
    1971 Torino GT BB
    1970 Torino cpe BB
    3 Bronco II's
    1974 Land cruiser BJ40

Your lower intake is not Trilogy, its a stock Cobra unit, and yes it will work with the cobraengineering kit.

I have no idea what you mean by you dont want to "modify" anything as I did and compromise the design quality. My advise is stick with the Trilogy it was designed with "modified" Cobra parts and sent out as turn key for people exactly like you who dont want to "chance" anything
    Last edited by musclemerc; 10-10-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information