Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: are 2003 and 2004 Marauder alternators the same? Interchangable?

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Hey Ryan, have you checked if the dash light has been removed or isn’t blown? All I’ve ever read is it may work but the light won’t shut off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I promise my battery light does work and its not illuminated. I was having problems with reman alternators (from fords) where when the car went under load, voltage would tank to mid 12 volts. At cruise or even WOT it'd be fine. After 2 reman alternators with this problem, I threw on a 78,000 mile OEM 4G alternator from my friends totaled 04 sport and it completely fixed my problem.

Just to add to that, my friend who gave me the alternator had it on his trilogy marauder briefly with no charging issues either, I also know the battery light worked in that car because it was flickering on/off due to a pigtail issue a year prior.

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    The difference is the clutched pully.
    On the MM at WOT the PCM shuts the alternator off to gain a few ponies. (Less drag)
    The CV alternator wont have this feature.
    The clutch can easily be swapped (which I did) and both alternators are PCM controlled, so why would the civilian vics lack this feature?

I'm also pretty sure some tuners disabled that feature, at least I remember Lidio saying he did so voltage would stay more consistent especially on trilogy cars.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

I call bullsheep. The Vic alt won’t work, many people buy a Vic alt and it won’t charge... there have been wayyyy too many posts about it. Been a lot of folks handed a 4g Vic one by the parts store and they don’t work.
    I am not discrediting anyone, but I really don’t feel like arguing when I’ve seen it in person.
    plus the brush packs are completely different colors, making me believe one is pwm and the Vic being 5 volts reference
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post

The clutch can easily be swapped (which I did) and both alternators are PCM controlled, so why would the civilian vics lack this feature?

I'm also pretty sure some tuners disabled that feature, at least I remember Lidio saying he did so voltage would stay more consistent especially on trilogy cars.

MM is the only panther with this feature from the factory.

BTW: I didn't run a clutched pulley with either my Trilogy or my current TVS (Because you can't)
    Last edited by musclemerc; 06-15-2020 at 08:32 AM.

I think the police interceptor also has the clutched pulley I think.
    Now it sucks and I dont know what to buy lol.
    I think I'll just have this rebuilt.
    2003 Mercury Grandma on steroids

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    I call bullsheep. The Vic alt won’t work, many people buy a Vic alt and it won’t charge... there have been wayyyy too many posts about it. Been a lot of folks handed a 4g Vic one by the parts store and they don’t work.
    I am not discrediting anyone, but I really don’t feel like arguing when I’ve seen it in person.
    plus the brush packs are completely different colors, making me believe one is pwm and the Vic being 5 volts reference
    Running a 98 - 02 (may) be a problem, I've never tried it. People on this site also swear up and down that you can't get "Marauder specific" shocks from Ford anymore which is also absolute ********. If I've learned one thing from being on this site so many years its to do your own research and verify your findings.

Also it wasn't the brush pack that had a color difference, it was the regulator. Again, I can't speak for the 2002 and older model year cars, but the 03+ panthers all have PCM controlled regulators. This is right from the Ford wiring & electrical troubleshooting service manual for MY 2005

The PCM determines the optimal voltage setpoint for the charging system and communicates this information to the voltage regulator. It has two unidirectional communication lines between the PCM and the generator/regulator. Lines are pulse-width modulated. (GEN COM) line communicates the desired setpoint from the PCM to the voltage regulator and the generator monitor (GEN MON) line communicates the generator load and error conditions to the PCM. The third pin on the voltage regulator, the A circuit pin, is a dedicated battery voltage sense line.
    I promise you I have absolutely nothing to gain going on MM.net and telling people I'm running a crown vic alternator just for fun. It took me months to rectify that very annoying voltage drop issue, I ended up buying a used marauder alternator off ebay which turned out to be absolute junk. That was alt # 3 after the two remans, alt # 4 was the unit off my friends long totaled sport and its still on the car 20,000 miles later.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPanther View Post
    I think the police interceptor also has the clutched pulley I think.
    Now it sucks and I dont know what to buy lol.
    I think I'll just have this rebuilt.
    They do but thats usually a 6G alternator, something I wanted to try fitting to my eaton swapped car but its long down the list of projects to tinker with.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

Right where you plug it in. See photo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    I had an alternator off an 04 Vic on my 03 trilogy for quite a while, worked perfectly fine.
    Trilogy, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's, 31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's

Quote Originally Posted by 77pantera View Post
    I had an alternator off an 04 Vic on my 03 trilogy for quite a while, worked perfectly fine.
    Trilogy and Eaton swapped MM alt are exempt as neither use the clutched pulley.
    You cannot utilize a clutched pulley on an alt that spins un reverse.

According to Tasca Ford parts catalogue, the 2003 Mercury Marauder, 2003 Mercury GM and the 2003 Ford CV all use the same part number 4U2Z-10V346-ABRM 130amp alternator or 3W3Z-10V346-ACRM 120amp alt.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

okay but you can remove the clutch pulley and its the same alternator. Its not like the Marauder has a one direction only alternator, my eaton swapped DTR is using the factory alt with the clutch pulley removed.

2063/3214

5377/7838

It's almost like you can swap pulley's or something.
    The PCM doesn't care which pulley is on there.
    Again, I used an 04 Crown Vic alt, on a 300a, without any issues what so ever.
    Last edited by 77pantera; 06-18-2020 at 07:34 PM.
    Trilogy, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's, 31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information