Thread: Engine tick at low RPMs when warm

Engine tick at low RPMs when warm

Looking for some assistance determining an issue that came up with my engine. My car developed a tick at low RPMs. It doesn't appear when cold. Car needs to be running for a little bit before you can hear it. It's most noticeable right around 1000-1500 RPM, especially when driving or when engine is under load. I can only hear it when I give it a little gas. It sounds fine at idle and at higher RPMs. I tried to pin point it with a stethoscope and was unsuccessful.

Last night I ripped the valve covers off hoping to find a chewed up cam due to a bad lash adjuster but no dice. All 4 cams look good.

The noise doesn't appear to get louder. I've driven the car around probably 500 miles like this and it's not getting worse which got me scratching my head. I thought spun rod bearing but I would expect the noise to progress and knock louder.

My engine makes a mystery tick that follows the rpm band up and down. I have smoked tested for exhaust leaks, replaced all of the followers and lash adjusters on the driver side and nothing changes. I think mine is just the tick that these get in cylinder 7/8 area and honestly, I have just gotten used to it. I figure I could rebuild the head and probably get rid of it but that seems to be a huge pain in the ass for something that probably isn't hurting anything.

If yours is louder on the drivers side towards the back of the engine (firewall area) I'd hazard a guess that you have the same thing I do. Everything that I have read suggests that these engines (and the Coyote afterward) can develop ticks in the valvetrain that don't really hurt anything and are more of an annoyance. Hopefully its something easy but if you can't pinpoint it and it sounds like what I described it might be the same thing.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
    Former Owner: Joe Walsh

2015 Mustang GT PP
    Guard Metallic Exterior

2018 F-150 King Ranch
    2WD, 3.5 EcoBeast

Dropped the oil pan today. Looks like I spun one of the main bearings. Oil pick up tube has shavings in it and I pulled a shaving from near one of the caps.

This is typically caused by a valve seat coming out of the head. More of a problem with coyotes but the 4.6 is susceptible too.

My suspicions have been confirmed. One of main bearings is gone.

What's you plan with your engine? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    What's you plan with your engine? Just curious.
    Not sure yet. Will try to find a new 5.4 short block to replace it with most likely.

Thread Information