Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Team 321 Front Coilovers

Team 321 Front Coilovers

Well looks like the time has come to replace my shocks and springs in the front. I need pain killers every time I go over a bump and uneven pavement. I’ve been doing some research and found a Coilover Kit from Team 321 that’s adjustable. I called and spoke with Dave and he said he can make it handle up to 600 pounds each Coilover. Ima give him a call when he gets back SEMA to see if he can make it handle 700-800 which I forgot to ask. Besides the weight he said you can pick 4 different colors for the powdercoat on the springs.
    He also mentioned he never sold any to the Marauder Community since it’s listed for a Crown Vic. It’s obvious the Marauder uses the same Front suspension crossmember as the Crown Vic.

The kit is 595 plus shipping which is like 25 bucks. Ima have to take that chance and hope these are better than the overpriced Ridetechs.

https://team321.com/slider/crown-vic-coilovers/
    Last edited by Chi Stallion; 11-06-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Webasto Aftermarket Moonroof
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints
    Fresh Black Paint & PVD Chrome

Stainless Works Headers & Full Cat Mandrel Exhaust System w/Magnaflow 11229 Mufflers, Martyo Tune & Coolant Mod, Steeda UDP, Stewart WP, JLT CAI & Catch Can, J-Mod, UHaul Pan, Rebuild 4R70W, Dynotech 4' 6061, Forced Lube Mod, 31 Ford Spline Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier w/CF Clutchs, Ford Racing 4.10, TA Girdle & Stud Kit, Carfixer Alignment & SPC Camber Bolts, Ridetech HQ Front Coilovers w/ADTR extended bracket & ADTR Rear HQ Shocks, Arnott P2936 A/C & A-2220 Bags, Gorilla Lock, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Tires, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link, Addco F/R Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines, AutoMeter Digital Oil & Volt Gauge, Full VLED Interior/Exterior, Alpine ILX-507, PKG-M780 Headrest Monitors, MRP-F300, R-S65C.2 & R-S68 Speakers, HCE-C1100 & KTX-C10LP Camera System, Viper DS4 & DSM550 GPS SmartStart System, Yellow Optima, BIG III & 200 Amps Alt

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Chi Stallion View Post
    Well looks like the time has come to replace my shocks and springs in the front. I need pain killers every time I go over a bump and uneven pavement. I’ve been doing some research and found a Coilover Kit from Team 321 that’s adjustable. I called and spoke with Dave and he said he can make it handle up to 600 pounds each Coilover. Ima give him a call when he gets back SEMA to see if he can make it handle 700-800 which I forgot to ask. Besides the weight he said you can pick 4 different colors for the powdercoat on the springs.
    He also mentioned he never sold any to the Marauder Community since it’s listed for a Crown Vic. It’s obvious the Marauder uses the same Front suspension crossmember as the Crown Vic.

The kit is 595 plus shipping which is like 25 bucks. Ima have to take that chance and hope these are better than the overpriced Ridetechs.

https://team321.com/slider/crown-vic-coilovers/

Interesting. Besides custom build-finish-adjustment, wondering what the overall differences are between the Team 321 pieces and the Monroe OESpectrum pieces? Substantial price difference obviously ($296.99). Have OESpectrum shocks on the rear already, as of February.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

These have to be better than the old NAAKE systems from back in the day.

Anyone can make coil overs like these from team321. I’ve made coil overs for my VW’s for over 20 years. Good quality shocks are available for VW cars of every generation though, including Bilstein Sports. It is imperative that good quality shocks be used when building your own coil overs. Most who install adjustable height coil overs are going to lower the ride height. This makes the shock ride in a place in its travel that it was never intended to ride all the time and during compression it will be susceptible to bottom out conditions. That’s why a quality shock like a Bilstein Sport is a must imo. They are designed exactly for this purpose. If you put adjustable coil overs on a cheap shock like most available for our cars, they won’t last long at all. And if you think KYB or Monroe’s are good shocks, well....

Obviously Bilstein Sports are not available for our cars. I’ve been looking and can’t seem to find any good shock. Maybe a Sachs which are ok, not my preferred but may work ok. I’m not certain that they are a direct fit yet. I’ve called Bilstein but they don’t offer anything outside of their racing shocks that they can custom build for huge $$$$. If any of you are aware of a high grade shock for our cars, let me know. I can build coil overs too but I won’t do it with shocks that are junk to start. There’s no point in putting several hundred dollars of coil over parts on $30 shocks.

The Ridetech are expensive because you’re getting a fully custom built shock that’s is rebuildable and they can set the valving to match your spring rates. The shocks appear to me to be shortened as well. This is done to accommodate the lower ride height that the user will have on their car. These shocks are designed with shorter strokes and are purpose built. This makes them expensive. Honestly, the price seems right in line with other custom coil overs with custom shocks I have experience with.
    Last edited by Blakshukvw; 11-07-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Wink Monroe OESpectrum coil over front shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Blakshukvw View Post
    And if you think KYB or Monroe’s are good shocks, well....
    Maybe I don't have lofty expectations? The factory coil overs aren't 'ride height adjustable' and I'm happy with the standard ride height. I'm guessing the Monroe pieces will provide the same ride height? Still have the factory coilovers on the front and they still seem to be working satisfactorily. If the Monroes are just as good as OEM, they will probably be the last shocks installed on this car, and at a reasonable price. After all, our beloved Marauders are jazzed up Grand Marquises and not Ford GT40s.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

I have Ridetech's...happy with them...they don't handle pot holes well..no coilover does...the ride is more firm and sport like, but it is not a cushy ride...if you like firm but not harsh with a adjustable rebound shock Ridetech's seem to fit that. They will lower the front. Ridetech million miles Fox Racing built shocks are worth it imo.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Can these be changed easily or do you need special tools / abilities?

Spoke with Dave again and he said 700 is the max for each Coilover. I think I’m sold. The standard Coilover Kit from 321 comes with 450 pounds since it was designed for a crown Vic. We all know the MM is way heavier than a crown Vic. So 700 is max he can get it to. He also said it’s gona take a week longer since his supplier has to build it to 700 pounds.

If there’s one thing I never liked about the aftermarket world on the MM, is the shocks. The top brands like Bilstein and Viking don’t make shocks for our cars. All we are stuck with is Monroe and KYB’s.
    300A 8-20-02 #3849
    Webasto Aftermarket Moonroof
    Rear Spoiler
    S55 Tail Light Treatment
    5% Limo Tints
    Fresh Black Paint & PVD Chrome

Stainless Works Headers & Full Cat Mandrel Exhaust System w/Magnaflow 11229 Mufflers, Martyo Tune & Coolant Mod, Steeda UDP, Stewart WP, JLT CAI & Catch Can, J-Mod, UHaul Pan, Rebuild 4R70W, Dynotech 4' 6061, Forced Lube Mod, 31 Ford Spline Axles, 31 Cobra Carrier w/CF Clutchs, Ford Racing 4.10, TA Girdle & Stud Kit, Carfixer Alignment & SPC Camber Bolts, Ridetech HQ Front Coilovers w/ADTR extended bracket & ADTR Rear HQ Shocks, Arnott P2936 A/C & A-2220 Bags, Gorilla Lock, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Tires, Metco Control Arms & Watts Link, Addco F/R Sway Bars, SS Brake Lines, AutoMeter Digital Oil & Volt Gauge, Full VLED Interior/Exterior, Alpine ILX-507, PKG-M780 Headrest Monitors, MRP-F300, R-S65C.2 & R-S68 Speakers, HCE-C1100 & KTX-C10LP Camera System, Viper DS4 & DSM550 GPS SmartStart System, Yellow Optima, BIG III & 200 Amps Alt

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Maybe I don't have lofty expectations? The factory coil overs aren't 'ride height adjustable' and I'm happy with the standard ride height. I'm guessing the Monroe pieces will provide the same ride height? Still have the factory coilovers on the front and they still seem to be working satisfactorily. If the Monroes are just as good as OEM, they will probably be the last shocks installed on this car, and at a reasonable price. After all, our beloved Marauders are jazzed up Grand Marquises and not Ford GT40s.
    The shocks don’t set the ride height, the springs do. My point is to what happens to an inferior shock when combined with a lowering spring or an adjustable ride height collar. They aren’t up to the task. No, Monroe’s aren’t as good as the factory Tokicos and they won’t last as long. No it’s not a gt40, but it is a pefrormance variant with components meant to compliment that. If it wasn’t it would have been built with the standard off the shelf crown Vic parts.

Please don’t get me wrong, you can use whatever you want. It’s your car. I am just giving my educated experience on these matters.

Chi stallion, you and I agree on the shock situation for marauders. I don’t get it. Even the earlier crown vics have a Bilstein as an option.

You may be happy short term with those coil overs from 321, but I assure you that if those are just Monroe shocks with stock valving, they won’t last, especially with increased spring rates. The shock valving needs to be matched to work with the spring rate if at all possible. Good luck and please keep us posted as to their performance.

Btw, no where on the 321 page do they even state what brand of shock they’re using. No mention of custom valving either.
    Last edited by Blakshukvw; 11-07-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakshukvw View Post
    The shocks don’t set the ride height, the springs do. My point is to what happens to an inferior shock when combined with a lowering spring or an adjustable ride height collar.

A well written response - thanks for the info. I did notice the threaded spring collars on the Team 321 pieces and that Tokico apparently doesn't make coil over struts for the Marauder anymore. The Monroe OESpectrum Coil over strut 271346 varies anywhere from $102 (eBay) all of the way to $193 (also on eBay) each. I went with the Monroes because Jeff Harris recommended them as 'best bang for the buck'. Not seeing anything available at the Ford Dealers. Other brands available for the Marauder at varying prices. $600 for a custom pair from Team321? Hard for me to justify but I'm sure others can.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    Can these be changed easily or do you need special tools / abilities?
    If the springs are already installed? No, just a floor jack to extend the suspension travel and don't work on your cars while drinking alcohol. Assuming you have a good selection of common hand tools. Would recommend checking the wheel alignment professionally on modern equipment afterwards.

Last edited by Invective; 11-07-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    A well written response - thanks for the info. I did notice the threaded spring collars on the Team 321 pieces and that Tokico apparently doesn't make coil over struts for the Marauder anymore. The Monroe OESpectrum Coil over strut 271346 varies anywhere from $102 (eBay) all of the way to $193 (also on eBay) each. I went with the Monroes because Jeff Harris recommended them as 'best bang for the buck'. Not seeing anything available at the Ford Dealers. Other brands available for the Marauder at varying prices. $600 for a custom pair from Team321? Hard for me to justify but I'm sure others can.
    I understand. Coil overs aren’t for everyone.

For $550 I’d spend a bit more and buy the Ridetechs. Better quality shock to start that’s rebuildable in the future. Way better money spent.

Rock Auto has the Monroe for $92.79. Is there another option that's better than Monroe?

Quote Originally Posted by crouse View Post
    Rock Auto has the Monroe for $92.79. Is there another option that's better than Monroe?
    How much do you want to spend? Jeff Harris at Mo's recommended the Monroe OESpectrum as best value. Other alternatives are cheaper or you can pay alot more for something of questionable value IMO. Thanks for the Rock Auto link - best price yet for the Monroe 271346.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

William W. Purkey

Might as well replace the rears while I'm at it.

Rock Auto has the Monroe #5995 for $22.79 each, #5993 for $24.79 each, #550018 for $36.79 each and Motorcraft for $55.79 each. I'm leaning toward the Monroe 550018. Any suggestions/comments?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information