Thread: brake pads

brake pads

Just replaced my front brake pads on the MM. My first time doing it myself. Last time I was in the shop they said one pad was very low. I bought Akebono brake pads because they are made in the USA. Anyway, all finished up and pushed the brake pedal many times to get rid of the initial squeeshyness for the pistons to get back into position. Feels normal now. Drove it around the block and all seemed fine. Anything else I should do or check to ensure I didn't mess anything up before I start taking it on the highway again, etc.? I'd hate to have my brakes fail or the rotor and caliper fall off while I'm driving down the highway, lol. :-)
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    Just replaced my front brake pads on the MM. My first time doing it myself. Last time I was in the shop they said one pad was very low. I bought Akebono brake pads because they are made in the USA. Anyway, all finished up and pushed the brake pedal many times to get rid of the initial squeeshyness for the pistons to get back into position. Feels normal now. Drove it around the block and all seemed fine. Anything else I should do or check to ensure I didn't mess anything up before I start taking it on the highway again, etc.? I'd hate to have my brakes fail or the rotor and caliper fall off while I'm driving down the highway, lol. :-)
    You should be OK. Do a few panic stops on non congested streets.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

As long as the pads and caliper pins moved freely upon installation you will be fine. The reason 1 pads wears more than the other is if the pads or pins are stuck.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

If you did rotors too, should bed the brakes in before driving around
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

If you really wanted to be anal, you could run it about five miles , make a few stops then check the caliper temps with an IR gun. That's what I do.

Thread Information