Thread: Underbody Lighting Kit Bulb Replacement?

Underbody Lighting Kit Bulb Replacement?

I bought this when they first came out, maybe 2005 or so. The passenger side started cutting out two years ago, and finally died last year. The drivers side went suddenly last week.

I’ve also been having trouble with the LCM. The lights sometimes won’t come on automatically when the car starts at night. So, not sure if the underbody lights failed because of LCM issues, or because the bulbs finally failed.

Anyway, I can’t see how to access the bulbs in the plastic underbody lighting kit housings. They look completely sealed. Has anyone ever replaced those? They look like standard 1034 or 1157 bulbs through the plastic.

If I can get the housings open I’ll try the obvious and change out the bulbs 1st, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Svashtar; 12-24-2019 at 11:26 PM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    I bought this when they first came out, maybe 2005 or so. The passenger side started cutting out two years ago, and finally died last year. The drivers side went suddenly last week.

I’ve also been having trouble with the LCM. The lights sometimes won’t come on automatically when the car starts at night. So, not sure if the underbody lights failed because of LCM issues, or because the bulbs finally failed.

Anyway, I can’t see how to access the bulbs in the plastic underbody lighting kit housings. They look completely sealed. Has anyone ever replaced those? They look like standard 1034 or 1157 bulbs through the plastic.

If I can get the housings open I’ll try the obvious and change out the bulbs 1st, thanks!

I can repair / upgrade your LCM.

I have replacement light assemblies for the valet lighting in incandescent and LED flavors.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I can repair / upgrade your LCM.

I have replacement light assemblies for the valet lighting in incandescent and LED flavors.
    Thanks very much, but are the existing modules serviceable? You would think you could change the bulbs in those units.

The LCM definitely needs to be upgraded; it’s working hit or miss now for the headlights.

I’ll search how to remove the LCM and send you a PM, thanks.

MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Thanks very much, but are the existing modules serviceable? You would think you could change the bulbs in those units.

The LCM definitely needs to be upgraded; it’s working hit or miss now for the headlights.

I’ll search how to remove the LCM and send you a PM, thanks.

LCM Removal:

The LCM is about the size of a brick and is located just to the right of the steering column, in front of the gas pedal.

There are 3 electrical connectors on the LCM.

Remove the bottom two connectors by depressing the tabs and pulling on the connectors.

Remove the 2 mounting screws with a 7mm nut driver or socket.

Push the LCM towards the gas pedal while rotating it up towards the roof. Once it’s free of the bracket, pull the front of the LCM down towards the floor.

You should now be able to release the last electrical connector.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Underbody Lighting Kit Bulb Replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    LCM Removal:

The LCM is about the size of a brick and is located just to the right of the steering column, in front of the gas pedal.

There are 3 electrical connectors on the LCM.

Remove the bottom two connectors by depressing the tabs and pulling on the connectors.

Remove the 2 mounting screws with a 7mm nut driver or socket.

Push the LCM towards the gas pedal while rotating it up towards the roof. Once it’s free of the bracket, pull the front of the LCM down towards the floor.

You should now be able to release the last electrical connector.
    Thanks for the instructions.

You didn’t say, but to save pulling all my wiring out I’m going to unbolt one of the underbody lighting modules and see if I can get it apart. I can’t believe they made it with no provision to change the bulb, but 14 years is a good run.

(The LED modules are tempting though, and would probably last forever, I just don’t want to rewire everything...)

Last edited by Svashtar; 01-05-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Thread Information