Thread: Hub/Wheel Bearing

Hub/Wheel Bearing

Merry Christmas everyone. I changed the left front hub/wheel bearing on my wife's 2016 Ford Explorer Sport recently. That was a lot of fun. I can tell it sounds like there is another noisy wheel bearing, but I cannot tell which one. When I make hard left or right turns, the noise doesn't change like it did when the left front was bad. I'm thinking it might be one of the rears. I have brand new Bridgestone tires, so I know it's not a tire issue. Is there way to determine if one of the rear wheel bearings is bad? Thanks, Curt

Not familiar with an Explorer but I changed both front wheel bearing in my '04 Marauder since the noise was up front......neither of them worked!!

Turned out it was a BAD Pinion Bearing.........noise musta traveled up the HIGH DOLLAR Aluminum Drive Shaft.......maybe you'll ultimately find the same culprit??

GOOD LUCK and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    No Marauder

Sometimes, just sometimes you can grab the wheel at the top and bottom while lifted in the air and push and pull back and forth and you’ll feel some play. This is usually only if the wear is extreme enough though. Sometimes you can hear bearing issues if you roll the wheel too with your ears close. The other thing that could be happening if when you saw the wheel back and forth and the noise doesn’t change, then it’s possible that both front bearings are bad or both the inner and outer on one side both have wear so the noise just doesn’t stop. Typically if it’s the latter, then shaking the wheel will reveal some play. Good luck.

Worn front may have excessive play, may not.
    Any chance you have access to a lift? Can put it up in the air and bring it up to some speed to check for noise. Granted it may not be as noisy with the bearings unloaded.
    Any extra pedal travel or pulling when braking? If there is play in the front it will usually push the pads/ caliper back some amount.

i just replaced both of my front wheel bearings on my 03 marauder the other day. I had a whining noise that I assumed was the passenger front wheel bearing since it was the original with 260k miles on the clock. The driver side wheel bearing I replaced 3 years ago only had ~40k miles on it. Low and behold the replaced driver wheel bearing was the culprit and turning it causing a crunching noise. The passenger front was still perfectly fine.

as has been said, use only ford parts its well worth the cost.
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Thread Information