Thread: Verified seized engine - very sad day

Verified seized engine - very sad day

To add insult to injury during these wild times, the time has come for a choice I absolutely did not want to make any time soon. Long story of and not worth the effort of typing out, but it has been verified my engine has seized. Likely a bad oil pump that came out of nowhere. Out of my control and definitely not due to neglect on my part.

She’s served me so well over the last 8’ish years and I’m having such a rush of emotion. A Marauder was my dream car ever since they came out and saw them in production at the St Thomas assembly plant.

I don’t know if I can justify the expense, time, and uncertainty of putting in a new engine or finally saying goodbye and buying a vehicle that I can drive in all season. I commute 100+ miles a day in New England. Snow is deep and plentiful and my Marauder is my fair weather only car. My Jeep went bye bye this past fall and I was borrowing the work van this winter. Bad year for vehicles for me.

So, I pose to the group. Do I attempt to dump huge money in my 190k 04 with some other issues (rusted front fender, random electrical/ignition issues, interior needing a but of help, and the whole girl needing paint job or a CRAZY good recon guy. During these rough times and with the miles I drive, I don’t know if I can justify fixing my baby AND buying a 4wd something, insuring both and so on.

I’m sure most here will say fix it (and believe me I want to say it too), but by the time I do all that, I’m likely at the cost of a new-to-me 4wd something that isn’t 16 years old. Someone knock some reason in me. I want my car but don't want the headache/heartache.

Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Please help!
    Imho, I would sell it to the best offer as it seems to be pretty far gone judging by your description. Sell it to someone knowledgeable of these cars who will either repair it or part it out. No point in sending these cars to the crusher unless they were turned into a pretzel. Contact MartyO and ask for his opinion.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

It's not that it's FAR gone, just needs pricy cosmetic repairs to regain her former glory. New England is not kind on metal. Mechanically aside from the engine she is sound. I've kept up with everything. In my day I was a fair shade tree mechanic and the 4.6 is my playground. My problem is I don't know if I can float 2 to 4k to have it done. I don't have the time to do it myself because I'm working (critical infrastructure manufacturing).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It's not that it's FAR gone, just needs pricy cosmetic repairs to regain her former glory. New England is not kind on metal. Mechanically aside from the engine she is sound. I've kept up with everything. In my day I was a fair shade tree mechanic and the 4.6 is my playground. My problem is I don't know if I can float 2 to 4k to have it done. I don't have the time to do it myself because I'm working (critical infrastructure manufacturing).
    Not going to find anything very good for that kind of money. $4 or 5k to fix it and another 10 to 12K for a Winter beater your still ahead of the game buying a new car.

I know it will cost more. My mechanic was tossing out numbers for starters not really knowing. You and I know that 2 to 4 is probably just a good used/reman engine, no labor.

Lincoln aviator motor for is same, need to swap over the Marauder specific parts. Try car-part.com
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Buying anything used is always a gamble. At least you know your car. That’s my opinion.

Is it really worth letting it go for, I don’t know say $1,500-$3,000? Add to that what you can and still end up in something used it sounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Just sent you a PM on an engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Black 2003 300A- built 9/07/02, # 4,675 of 7094. Trilogy #243, Installed and tuned by Mo's Speed Shop. K&N cold air intake, Aeromotive fuel pump, Kenne-Bell boost a pump, dual oil catch cans, cooling mod, complete Stainless Works long tube headers and exhaust system, Meg's non-resonated 3.5" exhaust tips , 4.10 gears. Zack & Jerry big brake conversion, TCE stainless brake lines, Ntto NT555-G2 tires;. Ridetech coilovers in front Ridetech adjustable shocks on rear air suspension. ADTR front & rear sway bars, Metco rear control arms, watts link and driveshaft loop, upgraded transmission , PTC 2800- 3000 stall torque converter, transmission cooler, driveshaft balanced, window tint, trunk spoiler, trunk organizer, SS rear bumper inserts. S55 tail lights, Red Line floor mats, Ford Escape Audiophile 6 CD Stereo, BC4E dead pedal. FBM satin aluminum pedals. Colex Supercharged Marauder emblems. Car Motorsports custom hood insulator.

MM03, just saw and sent you a message.

I'm just putting my options together at the moment. Yesterday was like hearing a family member was terminal so I wasn't exactly in a good place. I would love to get her running again THEN I can spend the summer looking for a winter vehicle.

I too am firmly in the "devil you know" mindset, so if I can get it on the road again, I know the rest is going to last. I HATE the idea of having to learn to like a new-to-me car.
    Last edited by Rob; 04-22-2020 at 07:00 AM.

I would shop around for a good used engine. As posted above the aviator engine is an option and should be more plentiful and hopefully reasonably priced.
    May be worth shopping around for labor as well. I would be willing to help for a reasonable rate, but I'm a few states away and extra busy this time of year.
    2003 300a Trilogy #? 4.10s
    2000 Excursion limited v10
    1997 F350 7.3 5spd 4x4 (service truck)
    1992 Taurus SHO vortec SC 5spd
    1971 GMC 2500 pickup
    1971 GMC 2500 suburban 4x4
    1967 Camaro (basket case)

I always defer to Dennis Gage in such matters. "Restore em, don't crush em"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Good luck with your decision. I bought a motor I got screwed on. Sent it to a local builder, he went through it spent good money to make sure it was right. It lasted 600 miles. Took it back to the builder spend more money and we pointed fingers at each other on why it failed. 2nd go around it lasted 21 miles before I heard the noise again. Disgusted I parked the car and even posted it for sale. Last resort hail mary I bought a junk yard Aviator motor for $385 and the car is back up and running. I am enjoying driving the car everyday even though I should have never bought/fixed it. I don't know what to tell you, but make sure you are prepared for the unexpected.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Member on FB stated he had a Jasper motor installed for $5,000...
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Thread Information