Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to get Eaton swapped... 3.55 or 4.10 gears?

About to get Eaton swapped... 3.55 or 4.10 gears?

My 26K mile '04 is currently at Mo's for an Eaton swap and a few other things (I am beyond excited to say the least). HOWEVER, I am having a difficult time coming to a decision on rear gears... stick with the 3.55s or go with 4.10s? Car will be a weekend cruiser with some spirited driving, including some on the highway. It WILL NOT be taken to the track. I have stock wheels and tire size (Cooper Zeon RS3G1s). Marty and Jeff recommend the 4.10s, which I will likely go with. My only concern is traction and "losing" 1st gear drive-ability with stock wheel width and tires. I've already scoured the site and spent many hours reading about the different set-ups out there... all the way back to BillyGman and his Trilogy with 4.56 gears, 3K stall, and DRs. Some members have said they initially went with 4.10s N/A then S/C'd later on.... but also said if they had S/C'd first they would have likely stuck with 3.55s. Maybe I should stick with 3.55s and drive it for a while?

Can any of you Eaton swapped or Trilogy guys offer some insight? Thanks
    Last edited by z man; 01-11-2020 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added info

You just need throttle control with boost and 4.10..if you mash the gas, then traction can come an issue. I have 495 Rwhp and 4.10
    Last edited by RubberCtyRauder; 01-11-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Blog Entries
    The Throttle is controlled by you!

If you feel you cannot control the throttle then put on a throttle stop.

Below 40mph with the stock rear tires I never floor because it's faster not to.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

I found that drivability around town was much better with the 3:55 than 4:10 on a Trilogy Marauder(480RWHP). Switching back to stock gears was the best thing I did after Trilogy installation until I did Zack's Big Brake Kit. Together, they are awesome.
    Bill
    03 Mercury Marauder, 300A
    SOLD
    2005 Lincoln Town Car, ADTR Supercharger, TCE Brake Lines, MO's Tune
    2022 Lincoln Aviator Reserve AWD

Split the difference, and try 3.73's

4.10 or even 4.30. Certainly no less, that would just be silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

4.10 and don’t look back.

If Marty and Jeff suggests 4:10, why ask here you have the information you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the bottom end torque that the Eaton blower has the 3:55 would be fine. If anything the 3:73's would be more than you would need.
    2004 Silver Birch; Sold in 2009
    Trilogy #73, 410's, K&N Air Intake, Widen Rear Wheels, Flowmaster 50 Series, Balanced Driveshaft
    415 RWHP, 436 RWTQ; Best time 12.9
    Kenwood Audio, Signal Mirrors, GodsHead Badges on front and back

4:10's @13psi was a lot of fun
    4:10's @ 20psi not so much

if its not a race car and is really a weekend spirited cruiser that never goes to the track, I would recommend the same as I do for a highway cruiser

4k stall and 3.27s
    '03 Marauder 300A / Forged 11:1 Eaton @ 17 lbs - 87 Octane
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Quote Originally Posted by mm svt View Post
    If Marty and Jeff suggests 4:10, why ask here you have the information you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I suppose because I tend to over-research and over-analyze things. Since I've never driven a S/C'd Marauder, I was hesitant to do the gears at the same time as the blower... thought maybe I should drive it S/C'd with 3.55 gears for a while then decide. I talked to Marty the other day and was dead set on 4.10s, but then started looking through old threads again and began to question my decision... started thinking about things like not having widened wheels, etc.

I've got 4.10's and widened wheels and an Eaton (Thanks Curless!) and I LOVE IT! You will enjoy it...either way, but I like the immediate response. I'm never going to drag race, I want to pull away at lights and on/off ramps.
    2003 300A
    Widened Rear Wheels with 295 45 Nitto G2's
    Eaton Swapped by Curless
    Brake Upgrade
    Mo's Tune
    JLT Intake
    Addco Sway Bars
    ADTR Coil Over Suspension
    Metco Control Arms & Watts Link
    SW Headers and Exhaust
    Accessories By FastBlackMerc
    4.10 Gears
    Aeroforce Gauges
    Pantherlights Headlamps

Just a few short years ago nearly every answer would have been to keep the 3.55’s. Funny how times change.

The very first decent mod to my car was a Trilogy. The night I got it done I took it out with another Trilogy owner riding shotgun and after the first time I laid into my comment was “That’s it???”. I guess I was expecting a whole lot more after the years I spent drooling over it? A retune and a set of 4.30’s (thankfully not heeding anyone’s advice from here) and I was MUCH happier. For a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by z man View Post
    I suppose because I tend to over-research and over-analyze things. Since I've never driven a S/C'd Marauder, I was hesitant to do the gears at the same time as the blower... thought maybe I should drive it S/C'd with 3.55 gears for a while then decide. I talked to Marty the other day and was dead set on 4.10s, but then started looking through old threads again and began to question my decision... started thinking about things like not having widened wheels, etc.
    I had my mind made up I was gonna buy 31 spline axles, Detroit truetrac and swap the old ring and pinion over to save a few bucks but now I’m second guessing too. No way I’ll be at 20psi Not even sure I’ll hit 13psi cause 93 octane is best I can get around here. This is a great forum with so many knowledgeable members who have done all this stuff before but every time I check in here I find out I have to spend more money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information