Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter Install

Starter Install

I am sure I will get some interesting responses here, I just ordered a new starter. My starter is 16 years old and it is making a screeching sound on cold starts. I know I can take it apart and lube it but at 100K and 16 years old I know something will eventually go wrong. How hard is it for me to change the starter, I have a lift in my garage so it should be an easy job for me. I know I have to disconect the negative cable on the battery before doing anything, I am just a bit nervous because I have never replaced a starter by myself. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

I picked up the Bosch Starter on Amazon delivered for about $120.00 so $113.00 plus tax, and I will be saving the old starter.

It’s a PITA.

Mostly the top bolt that you can’t see. You will need an assortment of short extensions to achieve that “perfect” reach. There’s not much room between the front of the starter and the K member, just enough for a ratchet to turn once you find the right combo of extensions/sockets.

I went with a gear reduction mini starter years ago. So much easier..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

It will be 100 times easier standing under a lift than laying on the on your back. As long as you don’t have kooks headers it shouldn’t be too bad. The top bolt is kind of a pain in the ass, but use a mirror.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    It will be 100 times easier standing under a lift than laying on the on your back. As long as you don’t have kooks headers it shouldn’t be too bad. The top bolt is kind of a pain in the ass, but use a mirror.
    No Headers on the car, thanks for the info on the top bolt!

I got the starter down easy with some swivel sockets and extension. Gotta feel for them.

Just took the starter out of my brothers car the other day getting replaced with gear reduction starter: Powermaster 9532. I have the same starter in my marauder and it works great. I believe justbob is where I got the part #.

Top bolt required 10mm 3/8 drive deep socket, 4" extension, and slight reach around. flex head ratchet not mandatory but suggested. The other 2 will be in plain sight.

It seems a lot of Ford's have the annoying hard to reach top bolt. Some leave it out, though not necessarily recommending that.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrepairman View Post
    Top bolt required 10mm 3/8 drive deep socket, 4" extension, and slight reach around. flex head ratchet not mandatory but suggested. The other 2 will be in plain sight.
    I prefer the full reach around.

Sorry, I couldn't resist....carry on.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

I did the starter on mine but its running kooks headers, long story short I removed the solenoid from the starter body, installed starter, then installed the solenoid and life was good. Get your extensions and swivels out, it takes a bit of experimenting, cursing and feeling for **** you can't see but all in all it is not a hard job.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
    Former Owner: Joe Walsh

2015 Mustang GT PP
    Guard Metallic Exterior

2018 F-150 King Ranch
    2WD, 3.5 EcoBeast

The 2 bottom bolts were easy, but the top 1 was a real pain, my buddy who works on cars alot came over and helped me out. Would a gear reduction starter in the future be easier to install. Meaning would the top bolt be easier to install with a gear reduction starter. My buddy started put the 2 lower bolts in 1st snug tight, then got the top bolt in and tightened it down, from there he tightened the bottom bolts then hooked up the wires. This job was hard enough with a lift, hate to think how this could be done when laying on the ground.

If someone with our Marauder brought a starter for a mechanic to put on would the labor be about $100.00

Whoever the engineer was could have desiged it better so it is easy to get the top bolt off.

I have a lift and prefer to just do it on the ground..

As for the mini starter. Night and day easier.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    I have a lift and prefer to just do it on the ground..

As for the mini starter. Night and day easier.

Which Mini Starter did you put on just in case I do this in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Brentster View Post
    Which Mini Starter did you put on just in case I do this in the future?
    Post 6.

Mine was Jegs branded but the same manufacturer.

SOLD 12/31/2021

The gear reduction starter is a completely different shape and gives you more access to reach the top bolt. However, 1 of the holes is blocked by the housing and the factory bolt doesn't fit. I run a different bolt through the bellhousing and put a nut on the starter side. Also the wires are located in different positions and require slightly bending the factory terminal ends.

The engineers couldn't care less about how hard it is to get to the bolts. At the factory the starter is zipped to the engine and then dropped into the frame never to be seen or touched by the installer again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrepairman View Post
    The gear reduction starter is a completely different shape and gives you more access to reach the top bolt. However, 1 of the holes is blocked by the housing and the factory bolt doesn't fit. I run a different bolt through the bellhousing and put a nut on the starter side. Also the wires are located in different positions and require slightly bending the factory terminal ends.

The engineers couldn't care less about how hard it is to get to the bolts. At the factory the starter is zipped to the engine and then dropped into the frame never to be seen or touched by the installer again.
    There is always a catch thanks for your post. Seems there was a you tube video but it was a crown vic does that mean it would be the same for our Marauders?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information