Thread: Power Steering Hose

Question Power Steering Hose

Hello, all. Been quite a while since my last post here, but I'm stumped on something and thought I'd ask the resident experts a couple of questions.

I've been refreshing quite a few parts recently, one of which is the power steering hose that goes from the reservoir down to the PS pump. Old one had fluid on it that originated from the nipple on the reservoir, so I figured it was time for a replacement. When I bought what I thought was a replacement, I think I had the flow direction of the fluid mixed up and accidentally bought the type of hose that goes from the cooler back to the reservoir. I can't seem to find any solid information on the I.D. of the hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump, nor can I find anywhere online that gives me a direct replacement. All I can find are hoses that go from the cooler to the reservoir. Not even RockAuto has it. I know the OEM replacement is p/n 5W1Z-3691-B, but I'm looking for alternatives that don't cost $25 and will get to me in a couple of days. For what it's worth, the hose going from cooler to reservoir looks different in texture than the hose that goes from reservoir to pump.

Anyone have suggestions or experience with replacement of this particular hose?

Also, is the hose I'm looking for a high or low pressure hose? I'm leaning towards low pressure since it is only held in place by an OEM hose clamp at either end. I'm just wondering since the two hoses going to and from the reservoir have different textures.

Thanks in advance.
    2003 Black 300A
    Adopted: 4/26/14

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

gdmjoe,

Yes, Tasca parts is a great source for OEM parts, and I do know the OEM part number that would serve as a direct replacement; however, I wanted to know if anyone had any experience or knowledge on a non-OEM replacement that would serve the same purpose. To pay $16 + $11 shipping for a 1.5 ft. piece of hose is not ideal, and I was wondering if anyone knew of something quick that could be bought at a FLAPS, Amazon, etc. that could also do the trick. This hose does see pressure since it feeds the pump with fluid, it's just not very much pressure. Thanks for your input, though.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    2003 Black 300A
    Adopted: 4/26/14

Mods:
    Mo's Tune - K&N CAI - 4.10 FOMOCO gears - Reische 170* T-stat - NGK TR6 Plugs - Flowmaster 40s - MuscleMerc's 3" Fuel Filter Mod - Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars - TCE SS Brake Lines - Cooper RS3-G1 - Factory Spoiler - SS Bumper Inserts

Thread Information