Thread: Handling Performance road map

Talking Handling Performance road map

First post, I hope it ends up in the correct sub.

I am new to the game/addiction with these steel chariots. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to be owning one sooner rather than later. I currently have a 2005 Grand Marquis. Honestly I bought the vehicle due to the low acquisition cost as a commuter for work. Turns out I really have enjoyed what it brings to the table in ride and it has a V8, so there is that. Lately I have wanted to improve that satisfaction, so I began looking for performance mods I could add to the experience. In that search I luckily stumbled upon a marauder, and realized it was built with a lot of the items I had on my list. So basically I have come to the conclusion it was meant to be.

Well I really enjoy the research involved in hunting a down a Marauder, so I am hoping to get some suggestions on what it looks like improving the handling of the vehicle. I have seen lists around the web that kind of prioritize a few ideas. I tend to see better outcomes when I have a road map. I know that the Marauder has plenty of the DNA of the grand marquis, so I would hope that the ride is similar in stock form, if its not I would be striving to mimic that in a marauder, only faster!!

If there is a thread already covering this, at least I got a small introduction to the MM neighborhood, and a link to that thread; or "Hey dummy! This has already been covered yadda yadda will suffice. Thanks

Welcome. The Marauder and Marquis' rides are different. The Marauder is much sportier and less cloud like. Many Marauders have had upgrades over the years so you may luck into one that is done to the level you are seeking. Lots of threads covering suspension mods. Google is a good place to start as the "Search" function here sucks. When you get your Marauder let us know what mods it has, if any, and we'll be happy to steer you in the right direction.

Welcome! Lots of helpful people here to answer your questions. Always glad to see another person joining that enjoys an interest in these cars.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Be careful what you wish for! The mod bug rarely stops, I know firsthand..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

The GMQ and MM are quite different in style and purpose. The GMQ is all about comfort and removing you from the sensations of the road. On the other hand, the MM is all about racing and fun but with the added benefit of seating for 5. Yes, definitely start researching. You can spend weeks learning before making a decision on which mods fit your taste and your budget best. Here is a small list that many including myself have done to our MMs:

a) 4.10 Ford Performance Rear Gears;
    b) Cold Air Intake (K&N or JLT);
    c) Marty Ochs Tune;
    d) Addco Front and Rear Sway Bars;
    e) Metco Control Arms;
    f) Rear Cat Delete;
    g) Rear Cooling Mod;
    h) Stainless Works Headers;
    i) Magnaflow or Flowmaster Mufflers;
    j) LED upgrade of Interior and Exterior lights;
    k) And of course, the most fun: BOOST!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies! Ambitious1, that makes total sense given the stock differences, as well some of the handling mods you mentioned are popular upgrades. I am learning something new everyday, with my knowledge bar is so low it’s no suprise! I have little doubt that it won’t be too long before life slows enough to allow me to settle on a “fix”. Lol.

This will help you in your research as well. Credit goes to gdmjoe, who is a member here, for putting this fantastic list together. You'll find owner's manuals, original brochures, and other very helpful information:

http://www.gdmjoe.com/marauder/documents/documents.html

Thread Information