Thread: Anyone know proper size for harmonic puller bolts?

Anyone know proper size for harmonic puller bolts?

Greetings folks. I'm sure this has been discussed, but I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

I'm installing Steeda u/ds on my '04 MM, and none of the 4 different bolt sizes in my puller kit fit the 3 holes in the stock balancer. The kit came with 3/8-24, 3/8-16, 5/16-18 and M8-1.25 bolts. The 3/8-16 will thread in, but they can be wiggled around and don't fill me with confidence. They are coarse pitch. All of the other bolts are too small.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I've got the bolt out and it's time to pull the balancer. I've gone through my stash of old hardware too, but can't find a match.

Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated.

Get a new kit, or the right bolts from hardware store. I had the same problem, found the right kit at a local pawn shop cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If 3/8-16 fits loose, try M10-1.5
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll definitely try that larger Metric size. I just need to find the right size bolts and the puller should work fine.

Just curious if anyone has used one of those pullers that doesn't use bolts, but instead has 3 thick metal jaws with cut-outs that fit over the inner spokes of the balancer? An online search brings these up on several well-known racing supply and/or mod motor specialty websites. Just wondering.

I second m10 X 1.5
    Incredibly close to 3/8-16 in diameter and pitch.

So, here's an update for those who are interested. It turned out that the 3/8-16 coarse was correct after all. An M10 was too big. I had been threading the bolts in by hand (duh) and could only get them in so far, even though they seemed kinda loose when you wiggled them around. After putting a wrench on them, they threaded all the way in, perfectly smooth. They went right to the bottom of the threads, as I discovered after pulling the balancer. Now, I can't speak for all models and years, but a Canadian 2004 Marauder uses 3/8-16 coarse bolts to remove the harmonic balancer.

As for the Steeda pulley, it seems to use the M8 bolts. Just an fyi. Thanks to those who assisted.

Anyone know proper size for harmonic puller bolts?

Makes sense, my ATI balancer uses 3/8”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information