Thread: HuH!!!

Exclamation HuH!!!

An answer to a question no one asked???

There's no shortage of electric supercars and sports cars from small automakers on the horizon. How many of them will actually make it to market is another story. But one that caught our eye is Gumpert Aiways's Nathalie. It has an electric powertrain, but instead of putting a large battery pack underneath the passenger cabin or using hydrogen fuel cells, the Nathalie runs on methanol.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ign=nl19690489
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

They should offer it in a Forest Green color....then it would be a :
    Forest Gumpert!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Maybe it's just me, but these electric cars don't excite me at all. I really don't care how fast the are or how well they handle, they just don't get the juices flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but these electric cars don't excite me at all. I really don't care how fast the are or how well they handle, they just don't get the juices flowing.
    I find the tech interesting. A methanol fuel cell that produces electricity. There is already some methanol infrastructure in Europe but none here that I'm aware of. Also, the company will offer a delivery service in case a buyer lives outside one of these areas.

"The Nathalie uses the methanol fuel cell to produce hydrogen and convert that into electricity. The vehicle still has a battery, but it acts as a buffer between the methanol fuel cell and the four motors. That way if the driver wants more power to the wheels than the fuel cell can immediately provide, the battery pack sends the electricity needed. While driving through the city or on cruising over long distances, the battery doesn’t need to be used, according to Gumpert Aiways."

"According to the automaker, the Nathalie has a range of 510 miles, can reach a top speed of 184 miles per hour, and can refuel in three minutes. That's if you have access to a methanol refueling station—which is a big "if." While charging does take longer than refueling and the hydrogen infrastructure isn’t as large as some automakers would like, methanol isn't as easy to come by as gasoline, to say the least.
    The automaker's solution is build a network of methanol gas stations in cities where the car is sold. It initially intends to sell the Nathalie in Germany, Switzerland, Poland, Scandinavia, and Belgium/Luxembourg/Netherlands. Swiss buyers are in luck; there are already stations being built.
    As for anyone living outside a metropolitan area, Gumpert will have an overnight delivery service. All of these solutions are free for the first year of ownership."
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Blog Entries
    Forbes, 8-1-2-18
    "Lockheed Martin’s secretive Skunk Works® laboratory registered a patent in March for a revolutionary technology that could solve the world’s energy problems for good – but don’t pop the champagne yet. The design is for a compact fusion reactor (CFR) which theoretically produces cheap, clean, near limitless energy – all from a device that could fit on the back of a semi. If it sounds far-fetched, that’s because it is. The sustained generation of a fusion reaction has evaded scientists since the idea was first conceived over 70 years ago.".

They are completing their 5th Reactor, each one is larger than the previous.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Not entirely ugly.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Thread Information