Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about upgrading vacuum booster

Question about upgrading vacuum booster

Greetings, folks! I've been messing around with the well-known spongy brake pedal on my '04 MM for quite a while now. I've got SS brake lines, Russell Speed bleeders, bled all corners in every way possible several times, vacuum pump bled, etc., etc. I also brought it into the dealership to bleed the ABS pump, which was not successful for some reason (they said they were unable to fully engage the pump????). In the end, there is still too much pedal movement before the brakes engage. They're good when they engage, but the pedal moves too much before they engage. I've also done the activate-ABS-in-the-rain trick a few times, to no avail. The pedal doesn't drop when I put constant pressure on it, making me think it is not a problem with the master cylinder.

And so, I'm looking to upgrade the booster to an '03+ style. Based on what I've found on this site, there was an upgrade in '03 that provides much better feel. I have an '05 MGM, and can say with certainty that it has MUCH better brake pedal feel - the pedal is always hard, and the brakes bite very quickly every time. Both cars use the same brand rotors and pads, bedded identically, and the calipers have been thoroughly cleaned and lubricated. All the fluid is new Ford DOT 3 as well.

The question I have concerns what else is required for that booster upgrade. I have read a few threads that appear to indicate that a corresponding pedal assembly is also required when upgrading to the newer booster.

Can anyone confirm with certainty that an upgraded pedal assembly is required for this swap or not??

Obviously it would be much simpler to just swap the booster if possible, but any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and stay safe!

Interesting. I had my booster replaced about 5 years ago, due to leaking and peddle going to the floor. No leak since then, but peddle still goes almost to the floor. Bled them repeatedly over the years, passes state inspection each year, but annoying as a mofo. My 300 will almost throw you out the windshield when you apply yer foot. Granted, it has larger calipers and rotors but the difference is ridiculous. What is the newer booster you mention?

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

From the threads I've read, the booster was upgraded in '03, so any year including and after that. What I've read says that Marauders got the '01-'02 booster, which is described as the reason for many MMs having a less than optimum pedal. The main thread I found was from 05/19, entitled "Spongy brake pedal". A member in that thread stated that he had installed an '03/'04 CV booster into his '04 MM and it greatly improved the pedal feel.

Right on, I'd be interested in doing it. Too many butt-clinching moments in stop and go traffic.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

I would be curious in more information as well. I have an '04 CV LX HPP and an '03 MM and have the same rotors, calipers and pads on both. They both stop the same. If the 04 CV booster is supposed to be an improvement I honestly can't tell the difference. Did the installer do anything else other than booster upgrade?

Last summer I replaced my Master Cylinder with no change in pedal feel.

Are the part numbers different?

The installer went into some detail about swapping the boosters on his 2 MMs (an '03 and an '04) and that they had both benefitted from the swap, as far as pedal feel. He did perform a big brake upgrade around the same time on at least one of his MMs, but clearly stated that the booster swaps were a definite improvement. After reading the post another bunch of times, I note that he says he may upgrade the pedal assemblies to see if they improve things as well. So, I realize now that he's basically answered my original question - seems he swapped the boosters and kept his original pedal assemblies. So, that will be my plan.

As far as part numbers, I'll post them once I have them - probably by the end of the week. Thanks to everyone for their input!

I upgraded to the Wilwood Big Brake kit from TCE. Gravity bled the entire system. Pedal is rock hard.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

So, I feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole a bit here, as far as part #s I've found so far. The # on my '04 MM booster is 3W33-28195-AB. A Google search on that # turns up almost nothing. I mostly get no results. So I'm not sure I can verify that this is the same as an '01-'02 CV booster, as the OP from 2019 stated.

As far as boosters from '03 and up, I've found 4 #'s so far. I'll attempt to verify these with my Ford parts guy early next week. They all appear to be for an '08 CV, and are still available.

I also found a part # for an '05 that appears to be discontinued. That # is 1W1Z-2005-AA, for what it's worth.

So, lots of searching with no clear results yet. Hopefully I'll have something more useful next week.

Well, I learned something today. Didn't really know that the MM got the older style booster, but RockAuto confirms it. The '03 MM booster part numbers all match the 2002 GMQ boosters.

For what it's worth, RockAuto lists the 2003 GMQ booster as Motorcraft P/N 3W1Z2005AA.
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

Oh, that's one of the 4 other part #s I mentioned that I was gonna verify with my Ford parts guy. Great - thanks. One less number to check. That adds some weight to the OP's statement from 2019 about upgraded boosters in '03.

Okay, so I've done some more digging with my Ford parts guy, and will break down what I learned from him in relation to the various part numbers I've found online.

3W33 28195 AB - this is the # on the booster on my '04 MM. He was unable to find this # anywhere in the Ford system...I just scratch my head at that one.

F6AZ 2005 B - this appears to be for '95-'97 MGMs and '92 to '06 CVs. That's based on aftermarket web site information, which I can't say is 100% reliable. Those years don't make much sense to me...and it seems to be obsolete, because he couldn't find this one either. More head scratching.

1W1Z 2005 AA/3W1Z 2005 AA - these 2 numbers appear to be for similar parts, which seem to be any and all '03 to '05 CVs and MGMs. And this part is obsolete from Ford.

F8AZ 2005 AA - this appears to be for CVs and MGMs up to '02, but it also came up blank with my parts guy. Another obsolete part??

7W7Z 2005 A - this one came up as a match (finally) for '06 to '11 CVs. I presume it also applies to MGMs, up until whatever year Mercury was axed. This part is available, but the kicker here is the price...my price for this is $450.00 plus tax! And I get a discount because I'm a member of the local Mustang club. Street cost is $520.00 plus tax. Canadian dollars here, but still not cheap in the U.S. For comparison, on the Rockauto website, this part is $340.00 Cdn, plus tax. Still not cheap, but better. My thinking is that since these cars have not been produced since 2011, the prices for certain parts go up. Boosters aren't a common replacement part. One important note - the Ford system doesn't specify this, but the Rockauto site describes this part as "w/o Advance Trac". So ultimately, this part is of no use because MMs have traction control (exclusively, I believe).

So, my thought that this might be a fairly cheap upgrade was incorrect. Some aftermarket prices are well under $200.00, which may have skewed my thinking. But I don't know how reliable any of that information is, because my parts guy couldn't verify the information. I'm thinking that the longer Ford parts are obsolete, the more they get purged from their system. Anything back around the late '90s to the early 2000s seems to just be deleted from their system.

So unfortunately, all this research did was tell me that I can't get this part new from Ford. I'm not sure I trust aftermarket enough to go that route, because sometimes their part numbering isn't accurate. My next route will be a local salvage yard that I've dealt with a lot and trust. Unless I am successful going that route, I guess that's it for this thread.

I'm skipping most of the replies as I know most people have never done this swap.

First off, the Part #'s you read on the top sticker of the booster are, I believe, the engineering #'s so sometimes looking those up can be a pain

It is true that the marauders used a 01/02 style vic booster, I could see this happening on early build marauders but I don't know why this was maintained well into 2004. 03/04 vics have a different booster and brake pedal.

You need the 03/04 brake pedal assembly along with the booster, in 03 they changed how the booster mounted to the pedal box. The older style had a 45 degree angle, the newer style went straight. Marauders have the older style

I am running a 03-04 crown vic booster in my 04 Marauder but partly because I had to swap that when I did the manual conversion. I put the booster from my 04 in my 03 which did help a lot, my DTR always had "okay" feeling brakes but my 03 had the typical "wow these are broken, pedal to the floor" 300A feeling brakes. Made a good improvement with just that swap.

Its interesting your 04 Marauder has "2B195 AB" as the engineering # because my 03 300A had that. My 04 had "2B195 BB". I know a friend of mine with a trilogy marauder which had great pedal feel, I think his booster had "BA" on the end but I don't remember the full #, it was different from mine. I don't have the # for the booster currently on my 04 either.

What I will say though is you're on the right track, if you swap out to the 03-05 crown vic / grand marq booster + appropriate power pedal box, you should get great pedal assist.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

That clears things up a lot...thanks very much, offroadkarter (the OP I was referring to from the 2019 thread). I didn't know if you were still on the forum. The photo really helps too. I'll be talking to my local salvage yard tomorrow to try and track these parts down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information